right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

GoForth Journal

1293031323335»

Replies to: GoForth Journal

• GoForthGoForth 802 replies29 threadsRegistered User Member
    I'll be visiting there around the July 4th time, too.

Some more insights - it seems that some aspects to winning the audtions for this show were not playing too square, and being able to sing. Also, being a bass player ups your odds because the fewest entries were for that instrument.
    · Reply · Share
  • bridgenailbridgenail 1034 replies5 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 17
    I'd love to see this performance @GoForth !!

My D is certainly not the best at anything musically. Her "vocal technique" is always "in progress". But she's an entertainer...and gets hired. For many of our kids, these are "performance" degrees...which require the ability to be in front of an audience day after day after day...and entertain (even after they have been up too late with their buddies). And...as for the singing comment...I have found the more you can do (even just decently), the more chances to be hired. Being multi-talented never hurts.
    edited May 17
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 17
    @bridgenail - yes. S is a breathy singer and wants to work on that, but it can suffice for some things.
    edited May 17
    · Reply · Share
  • Parentof2014gradParentof2014grad 978 replies12 threadsRegistered User Member
    Congrats on the surprise scholarship extension! That never hurts!
    Safe travels! We just got back from moving our son into Bruce Hall. He’s enjoying himself so far. Friendly school. I enjoy seeing him surrounded by music people.
    · Reply · Share
    Oh, That is great! Bruce Hall was fun. So handy for classes in the College of Music next door.
    · Reply · Share
  • Parentof2014gradParentof2014grad 978 replies12 threadsRegistered User Member
    He stayed in the brand new Joe Greene Hall for orientation and said it was like a hotel. Small rooms too. Bruce is much more home-y and the location is really great for a music student. All good so far. Hope your son enjoys apartment living. Both my older kids were just so glad to get off a meal plan and cook for themselves, but they hated the food at their universities and UNT so far seems better in that regard,
    · Reply · Share
    Mean Green (the all-vegan cafe) is nice. Bruce hall cafe is nice enough. I think the cafe way over by the sports facilities is supposed to be nice too. S has gotten into cooking since staying in an apartment in Hershey Park this summer.
    · Reply · Share
  • lkbux64lkbux64 377 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    It's been a fun ride. Thank you for sharing your experience. Best of luck to your son, @Goforth.
    · Reply · Share
  • songbirdmamasongbirdmama 258 replies17 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @GoForth Not to drag you back into the conversation, but you mention something worth thinking about for all those currently starting the journey: Where they go to school is likely where they will develop their strongest connections, and this figures into finding employment. Sounds obvious but it was not something we/she considered when choosing schools as an undergrad. It’s definitely a key factor in her grad school search!

Best of luck to you and your son.
    · Reply · Share