right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Time to think about summer!

ViolinmomazViolinmomaz 72 replies13 threads Junior Member
We're making a list and checking it twice....
not for Santa....

How is it possible that she *just* started college and now it's time to get ready for summer institute auditions! Thankfully I think my D only has to record for one. The rest she's applying to are coming to her school for regional auditions! yay! .

Who else is making plans for summer? My D's teacher has helped her make a list of camps and she will record while she's home on winter break.(it never ends, huh???)
180 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Time to think about summer!

• GoForthGoForth 817 replies29 threads Member
    S is preparing shortly for summer for either theme park or cruise ship auditions.
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 11702 replies81 threads Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Yes summer applications are starting: festivals, workshops, fellowships,residencies and jobs :) And yes it goes on for years. Maybe, at different levels and in different roles,, forever if they are lucky!
    edited November 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • bridgenailbridgenail 1203 replies6 threads Senior Member
    My D’s way ahead. She was already rejected for a summer festival two months ago! Lol.

She’s auditioning for something monthly. So no it never stops.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2clarinetobsessedkidmom2clarinetobsessedkid 119 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Oy! How did I think there would be a break from this between the applying-to-school and working years?!? So much to learn. It definitely seems true that it never stops. Thankful to have a kid who actually seems to enjoy this craziness! Lol. Time to make more recordings!
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 2018
    glassharmonica, that is what I meant by continuing with "different roles"!

Every year, it seems, there is a moment of realization that around this time of year there are deadlines to be met or missed. For young people immersed in relatively happy work in the present, it is easy to be on the "missed" end of things!

Parental reminders seem fine in undergrad but at the grad level, it gets tricky. At this point I try not to get involved but support when it comes up :) buoyant it seems you and your daughter have a nice balance going....
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • buoyantbuoyant 158 replies9 threads Junior Member
    @compmom Thanks - my daughters are all in their 20s with my singer being the youngest at 20, it's an ever changing balancing act. I only brought up grad school for perspective, for her and for ME, to be honest. Grad school is really the next big step for her, whether or not it's right after undergrad. It's NOT the next role/audition/competition - fun as those are, and great learning opportunities as well. As an undergrad vocalist her main job right now includes learning languages of the rep, continuing to develop her vocal technique, learning appropriate rep for her skill level and putting it all together for Junior juries in April. She did a short and reasonably priced summer program last year (the only one she applied for) and this year she's casting a wider net. I'm over the moon that she's happy with her recordings and I only wish I could appreciate the different languages more.
    · Reply · Share
  • mperrinemperrine 141 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Mine is applying for Tanglewood BUTI. She has been in the Young Artist Wind Ensemble for the last 2 years. This year she is aiming for the Orchestra... she also has been in the Horn workshop as well.. obviously she is a French Horn player and a senior so she just finished her prescreens.
    · Reply · Share
  • ViolinmomazViolinmomaz 72 replies13 threads Junior Member
    Recordings done (at the last possible minute!) and I was wrong - 3 needed recordings, 1 is live audition only, 2 are recordings only and 1 is pre-screen and live audition. *sigh*. Now to just pay all the application fees..... But no tuition! [see me doing the fellowship dance] So now for fervent prayer that she gets in to at least one of them!!
    · Reply · Share
    Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofadultMomofadult 1127 replies29 threads Senior Member
    Fellowships are great for covering tuition, but many summer festivals (especially ones in the US) do not cover transportation costs. It took us a while to realize that one of my kid's conservatories had grants specifically to help pay for transportation to summer festivals. This may be ancient history now, my kids are older, but it might be worth checking into.
    · Reply · Share
  • glassharmonicaglassharmonica 3300 replies54 threads Senior Member
    Yes, and even the festival that pay transport are starting to shrink. My daughter went to a Swiss festival several years back and her airfare was covered. She went to the festival again last summer and had to pay her own air this time. Years ago that festival gave a paid stipend to its students; no more. Still worth it, but so expensive. She used one of those aggregators and got a cheap ticket, and luckily it worked out. (I'm a bit nervous about those companies, and this was one that I'd read many complaints about.)
    · Reply · Share
  • glassharmonicaglassharmonica 3300 replies54 threads Senior Member
    edited January 2019
    Congrats, @Violinmomaz !
    edited January 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • OctavesOctaves 51 replies0 threads Junior Member
    My son had his only audition for summer 2019 two weeks ago and was accepted. He will be going to Marlboro for next two summers.
    · Reply · Share
  • OctavesOctaves 51 replies0 threads Junior Member
    After supporting my son Up to high school years to attend expensive summer music festivals and still help him with transportations and extras through undergrad/grad years, teaching opportunities and getting paid sound wonderful. Congratulations.
    · Reply · Share
  • HereWeGoAgain2018HereWeGoAgain2018 249 replies6 threads Junior Member
    @Octaves that is fantastic!!! Congratulations on your son’s Marlboro acceptance. That is HUGE!
    · Reply · Share
  • InfoQuestMomInfoQuestMom 294 replies3 threads Junior Member
    So just for the clueless, all your kids are either in college or college grads, right? Does this mean that if my child embarks on a music career, she is expected to participate in summer institutes and festivals throughout high school, college, and beyond to be competitive and have a shot at music jobs? And realistically, I as her parent would need to be prepared to pay for all these institutes/festivals until maybe a few years after college when my daughter may begin to get paid if she is lucky? Just checking that I am understanding how all this works correctly.
    · Reply · Share