right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Class of 2024 undergrad/Class of 2022 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Replies to: Class of 2024 undergrad/Class of 2022 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

• Racingfan53Racingfan53 157 replies8 threads Junior Member
    @JeJeJe thank you so much! that's very helpful.
    · Reply · Share
  • diglassdiglass 181 replies5 threads Junior Member
    @tlrgrills Please let us know if you have any specific questions. It may be helpful to know what genre of music your child wants to study ie, Jazz, Commercial/Pop or Classical. What schools are on your duaghters list?
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2clarinetobsessedkidmom2clarinetobsessedkid 121 replies3 threads Junior Member
    What a wonderful article, @akapiratequeen! I have printed it to re-read throughout this season. I seem to need frequent reminders! ;-) It took us several years to embrace the idea of a music major for our kid, but we've come around to the idea that it is the best possible choice for the particular kid.

Had the realization yesterday that we are exactly 2 MONTHS from our first application/prescreen deadlines. !!! Its getting real!
    · Reply · Share
  • akapiratequeenakapiratequeen 1274 replies37 threads Senior Member
    Time will speed up from here, @mom2clarinetobsessedkid ! Do you have a list? Is everyone feeling on track and comfortable?
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2clarinetobsessedkidmom2clarinetobsessedkid 121 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Your words ring true, @akapiratequeen! As if we needed anything to hurry senior year along. Time is already flying!

List? Yes. On track? Ish. Comfortable? Lol!

Actually, I think we're probably right where we're supposed to be. This group has helped us to prepare in so many ways. I just need to keep reminding myself that things will get done, and that our kids will end up where they are meant to be. Deep breaths. Keep forging ahead!
    · Reply · Share
  • AmyIzzyAmyIzzy 330 replies7 threads Member
    Love that piece @akapiratequeen! It really says it all. We never really doubted our choice to let our daughter pursue music in college. She is headstrong and passionate about her path so she would have found a way with or without our support. She always leaned towards the liberal arts schools vs. conservatories (seemed to want a balance of music and academics for a more well-rounded approach, but she still had conservatories on her final list and kept an open mind as did we as her parents.) I do have friends who have recently told their daughter they won’t support her studying musical theatre unless she can double major “to give her more security” and it has become a battle already. I can agree that senior year flies by but sounds like the 2024 parents are in good shape! We are always happy to help!
    · Reply · Share
  • SweetStringsSweetStrings 56 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Loved that article! It was really well written. I’m thankful for a very quiet and extra long Labor Day weekend where my D got so much done! Hurricane Dorian kept us at home here in Florida all weekend so we made major progress on the college application process. Lots of time for practicing when you can’t go out too. Now I’m feeling much more settled about her final list and where we are. Next I need to plan out these prescreen recordings.
    · Reply · Share
  • DoransaDoransa 132 replies1 threads Junior Member
    @tubamama my son is still working on essays, prescreening recording needs to be done, and I am not sure what else he has on his plate. I am happy that he is done with his SAT.
    · Reply · Share
  • akapiratequeenakapiratequeen 1274 replies37 threads Senior Member
    @tubamama sounds like your son is killing it! When/where is the audition? Are the schools local, safeties, reaches, or a mix? How did he finalize the list?
    · Reply · Share
  • tubamamatubamama 20 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Most of the schools he has applied to are out of state. I told him he needed to apply to at least 1 state school so he did. He finalized his list looking at schools with good tuba studios and professors and he has a mix of private and public schools. He is not interested in a conservatory only school. He wants to attend a university with a good music school within the college. He also decided not to apply early decision to any schools as we don't know what the financial aid will look like and he doesn't want to be locked in without knowing cost. His list:

Northwestern
    USC
    University of Michigan
    Vanderbilt
    UCLA
    UT Austin (audition January 18th)
    University of Miami
    Indiana University
    UC Berkeley- no music
    University of Missouri

I wish I knew when the other auditions would for sure be so I can plan travel. Most of these will require flying or a very long drive.
    · Reply · Share
  • SweetStringsSweetStrings 56 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @tubamama your son is amazing! I’m glad for you. Relax for a bit before you have to drag that tuba all over the map 😀 My daughter is in the thick of these applications and essays right now. I’m actually glad it’s not something I can help with. There’s more than enough work for me on this road. Here’s her crazy mixed bag list:
    Eastman
    Oberlin Conservatory
    Vanderbilt
    Manhattan School of Music
    CIM
    Northwestern
    USC
    University of Miami
    Lynn Conservatory
    Florida State University
    · Reply · Share
  • jadedhavenjadedhaven 56 replies3 threads Junior Member
    I know this is a late reply, but I wanted you to know that UT Austin gives zero merit/talent money to music performance undergrads. Grad students get a free ride, undergrads receive absolutely nothing.

If you're out of state, UT Austin will be very expensive.

I did hear from the bassoon prof at UT that they were revamping their financial model to include future undergrads in scholarship awards, but she didn't know when that would take effect. She said they were losing too many talented freshman to other schools.

My son was accepted at UT, declined the offer then was offered $2K to reconsider. He chose Vanderbilt, which was $5K a year cheaper than our instate option of UT.

· Reply · Share
  • JeJeJeJeJeJe 317 replies1 threads Member
    Tubamama—— You guys are doing great! I am just being very curious.... I am sure you already have a plan to transport a tuba. Do you have any tips for traveling with tuba or any large instrument(s)? Is Southwest still best and the most friendly for musicians?
    · Reply · Share
    Oh, dear! If, in fact, this is the case at UT Austin (and I have no reason to doubt your word), this will need to come off of our list. I was feeling hopeful about it as it seems to tick so many of D's boxes, but a "...very expensive" out of state option with no chance for merit/talent money would be a no-go for us. We've been looking for ways to narrow our list, but its getting a little too small for comfort at this point!
    · Reply · Share
    Maybe someone could just make a list of all the schools where there's no chance of getting music/talent money for undergrads in performance, to save us some time. Sigh. Lol. Sob.
    · Reply · Share
    I think you should reach out directly to the Tuba professor and the music department and ask if they're offering music money for undergrads. They may have implemented a new program for incoming freshmen next year.

UT has wonderful music professors. As a sideline, I would ask the tuba prof how much time he spends with undergrads versus grad students. We found the bassoon program had a heavy emphasis on grad students. The undergrads had much less opportunities to play and a reduced amount of interaction with the prof versus other schools. That may be very different with the tuba prof at UT.
    · Reply · Share
    Check out SMU, they offer huge money for music performance majors and they stack academic merit aid on top of music money. I have no idea if they have a good tuba guy, but you should take a look. My kid got a $52K a year combo package.

Gorgeous, top notch private school near downtown Dallas located smack dab in big $$$$ Highland Park.

It's a great school.
    · Reply · Share
  • gram22gram22 160 replies1 threads Junior Member
    edited September 2019
    @mom2clarinetobsessedkid : Thats an interesting thought about making a list where no money is available for undergrads. The thing though is that most colleges do in fact give some money, some more than others, and it depends heavily on the audition (and in the non-conservatories, on grades as well).

On the positive side, Cleveland Institute of Music have been reducing tuition (!!!) over the last couple of years. Since 2018 they've decided that eventually they will go free, and have followed through in 2018 and 2019. [They also give a ton of money].
    edited September 2019
    · Reply · Share