right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Class of 2024 undergrad/Class of 2022 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Replies to: Class of 2024 undergrad/Class of 2022 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

• LendleesLendlees 211 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Busy_Momma - United is notoriously bad for customer service (and how they treat musical instruments..I recall a viral exchange from a musician whose guitar got trashed by United.) If you can possibly fly anyone else, I'd highly recommend it.

Telling flight attendants that your child is auditioning for college level music programs will also go a long way once you've gotten past the gate agents. They have hung up S' nice clothes in the first class closet, found room for cello bows and various other accoutrements we've schlepped on the audition trips. Also on smaller commuter sized airlines, the seating is 2 x 2 so getting seats together frees up a lot of room under the seats in front which should fit an instrument of normal size (aka one that would fit in a regular sized plane's overhead).

@akapiratequeen - did the TSA agents give you funny looks when the ice skates went through the x-ray? We had a lot of funny encounters with either the snare drum or the tambourine when we flew this winter. My favorite was the TSA agent who used to be a marching band drummer and wanted to try S' sticks out for old times sake. We got smart and would send the drum through first and then the stand since it is a long metal object that looks suspicious... ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • MusicSchoolSeekerMusicSchoolSeeker 3 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    edited April 10
    I’ve been reading on and off for about a year. Just caught up on the 2023 Journey thread. Wow, lots of great info! Thanks for sharing. My child is considering jazz performance undergrad 2024. This question may sound naive, but @akapiratequeen how did your son gain access to all the application essay questions so he could complete them the summer before senior year? This sounds like a great idea, but I thought that apps didn’t open until August 1st. Thanks in advance!
    edited April 10
    · Reply · Share
  • SweetStringsSweetStrings 15 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @MusicSchoolSeeker that’s a great question for @akapiratequeen. I would also love to know how to get a jump on essays as soon as possible.
    · Reply · Share
  • MusicSchoolSeekerMusicSchoolSeeker 3 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    @akapiratequeen Wow! Thank you so much! This is a tremendous help.
    · Reply · Share
  • gram22gram22 107 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Sweetstrings : A 100% of my sons auditions with a violin last year were gotten to on Southwest : NY, Boston, Chicago, LA. The year before, he got a "new" violin, and a solid BAM case to go with it. We also got the quilted cover for his case to help with keeping the damp out. We also always ended up paying the $15/- for an early bird boarding on Southwest to guarantee him overhead bin space (We continue to do so - it's the best $15/- we've spent). Also he makes sure to put his backpack and jacket over his violin to prevent others from shoving stuff in over it. There was only one time that he had to intervene and tell someone they couldnt put their carryon over his violin.

Also, loosening strings on the violin on a plane is not a good idea since the low humidity will actually cause them to loosen even more. Packing a sock or two around the bridge sounds like it may help - thanks for that.

Finally, esp. when you're traveling to auditions with a string instrument, try to do some research on reliable luthiers at your destination in case you have an emergency. We ran into this when we flew to Boston from SF for the NEC audition, and were scrambling around to find one that would be open on Presidents day (not all of them are). Luckily we did find someone and were able to get his instrument in decent shape about 3 hours before his audition. Could have done without that stress :).

Good Luck '24.
    · Reply · Share
  • khill87khill87 69 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited April 11
    @parentologist Another reason not to do sample lessons in the summer: Most of the faculty are gone at summer music programs and festivals. When I took my daughter to Eastman last summer for their music program, we used the time in the region to drive down to CIM and Oberlin to check out the schools. We had tours at both schools, but not only were the students gone, there were no faculty on campus to meet or have lessons with. (In the case of Oberlin, we'd just missed them by a few days!)

And actually, this is something to be aware of when choosing summer programs. Very few Eastman faculty were at the summer Music Horizons program... My daughter only met one full-time professor -- the rest were excellent, but visiting instructors from other schools or visiting full-time musicians. It was a great experience for my daughter, but not an opportunity to get to know the VP faculty she might work with as a student at Eastman, and definitely not any kind of leg-up in admissions in the sense of finding a professor who will advocate for you to be admitted because they want you to be in their studio. So if you are using a summer program to try a school on for size, that's an important thing to ask about in advance. Some schools DO employ their regular faculty for their high school summer academies -- Oberlin is one.

Let me add one caveat: I'm speaking here about VP -- don't know about other instruments or concentrations.
    edited April 11
    · Reply · Share
  • akapiratequeenakapiratequeen 1010 replies34 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @khill87 That’s really interesting. We had the opposite experience at the Eastman Jazz Workshop. My S worked with the professor who is now his studio head as well as several other regular faculty. The previous summer, at Berklee, he worked with adjuncts and grad students —no one he would have seen again. So yes, definitely ask!
    · Reply · Share
  • LendleesLendlees 211 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    And to chime in, at the Percussion camp last summer at Jacobs (IU) all the full-time faculty were there. So, it definitely is worth asking about in advance.
    · Reply · Share
  • Racingfan53Racingfan53 69 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Making my apply list is difficult, because applying to music school doesn't work the same way as "normal school" … You can't really quantify your level of talent, resume, etc. Plus admit rates mean much less due to the wide range of instruments auditioning, differences in faculty, needs from year to year, etc. Given all this, does anyone have a good way to create a broad list of schools to apply to, incorporating the age-old wisdom of reach/target/safety schools?

I notice quite a few (dare I say most) of the posters in this thread are performance majors or parents of performance majors. I am not a performer. In fact, I didn't want to take voice lessons for the longest time. My parents helped me discern the pros and cons, encouraged me, and I finally decided (after going in for a trial lesson, haha!) that private voice lessons would help my musicianship and audition skills. Anyway needless to say I don't consider myself a performer. So, my resume pretty much completely lacks solo performances (although I have quite a few eye-catching chorus roles). As a non-performance, non-comp major, I am trying not to get psyched out because I know I have something totally different to offer.
    · Reply · Share
  • tripletmamatripletmama 368 replies9 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited April 12
    Here's another audition tip. Our travel budget was very limited so our daughter flew to two auditions (from west coast to east coast) on her own. I was nagging her from afar and helping her when she didn't like the bass she rented (get that sorted out before a weekend), when she was sick and when she stayed with her triplet brother and they had a big fight. So - our air travel budget was cut in half. She is fairly independent but she also is spacey so I laughed at the "duct tape important documents to their body" advice. Make sure that they do more than the 15 minute auditions - e.g. sit in on a class or two, act interested, ask for a practice lesson.

And don't wait until the last minute to download pre-screen tapes. It was a scramble for our daughter with me on a computer, our other daughter on her computer, trying to download videotapes at the stroke of midnight. I seriously got some grey hairs that night. The thing that nightmares are made of!!

I highly recommend that your musician try to go to a summer program at any of the colleges they are interested in. This solidified our daughter's top choice (as it did for @akapiratequeen's son and I'm sure others).

edited April 12
    · Reply · Share
  • SuzeViolinSuzeViolin 76 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @HereWeGoAgain2018 that's an excellent idea!!
    · Reply · Share
  • journeytothepastjourneytothepast 71 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Hi all! I just wanted to say I'm so excited to read about all of your journeys and where your kids end up!
    · Reply · Share
  • drummergirldrummergirl 307 replies3 threadsRegistered User Member
    @Music2023 my guitarist S's graduating from NEC in a month. He's loved it there.
    · Reply · Share
  • khill87khill87 69 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    A friend sent this to me, knowing that Oberlin is high on my daughter's list of possibilities. Not great news for our kids... although maybe some of them will find a home at the college rather than at the conservatory: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/04/18/amid-budget-deficits-and-unfavorable-demographics-oberlin-pushes-do-more-less
    · Reply · Share
  • SweetStringsSweetStrings 15 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @khill87 thanks for sharing. Oberlin is also high on my D’s list. This is not great news at all. My D was hoping to take a trial lesson at Oberlin this Fall. I’m concerned now that it’s going to an even tougher admit. So disappointing.
    · Reply · Share