right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Class of 2024 undergrad/Class of 2022 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Replies to: Class of 2024 undergrad/Class of 2022 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

• buoyantbuoyant 113 replies8 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited April 24
    A short list of schools might be okay if at least one is a financial safety (affordable) for your family. Before making your list, read through the process used by each school to award both merit scholarships and financial aid and make sure you are comfortable with what you learn. This varies a lot from school to school.

Lots of time and effort goes into developing prescreen recordings so some families will choose to cast a wider net at the start and narrow down later.
    edited April 24
    · Reply · Share
  • akapiratequeenakapiratequeen 1010 replies34 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited April 24
    S started with a list of nine, including five with prescreens, three audition programs with no prescreen, and one non-audition music BA. (To cover him in case he failed all the auditions!)

We ended up visiting all of those within driving distance but only having lessons at two. The plan was to revisit the others later in the process if prescreens were passed and interest was still high. He had also spent time at two of the schools during the summer so didn't feel a need to revisit.

This worked out well for us, as in the intervening months several options fell off the table. One turned out not to have a strong jazz program (he is doing a joint jazz performance/music ed degree), another felt too small after the visit and he didn't apply, and another fell off after he was admitted on a rolling basis to our state flagship (since he would have preferred it to this option).

In the end, he passed all his prescreens and did five auditions: one early action (non binding but gave him something in his pocket as they informed him before Christmas), one at our state flagship (affordable without financial aid), and three others over a three week period in mid-February to early March. Two were on weekends and two on Fridays, so he ended up taking only about four days total off from school.

To our shock and delight, he was accepted to all of his choices. The really surprising thing was the range in merit aid-- from $0 at two schools to over $50k at one, with two other generous offers in between.

If we had to do it again, I would drop only one of the five -- an expensive private school that he was never overly excited about, but I pushed him to do since it was near home. This school required a prescreen as well as an on-site audition and did admit him, but with no merit aid to offset the $78k a year cost. So that was a waste of effort.

So after starting with nine schools, he ended up doing five auditions, and four would have been fine, too. Hope this helps!

edited April 24
    · Reply · Share
  • songbirdmamasongbirdmama 254 replies17 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Agree with @bouyant. There are many strategies. Here is another example. D took ACT once: Score was solid and within the cutoffs used by the music schools at Northwestern and Michigan (Which is lower than the range for students in Arts &Sciences or Engineering). She had an excellent GPA, 5 AP classes, etc.... We didn't think that extra summer prep to improve the score would change her chances in music admissions, so she focussed on prescreens and did not retake the test. However, the higher the test scores, the more competitive they may be for academic merit aid. So do they spend the summer before junior year boning up to retake the SAT/ACT or not? Something to think about!
    · Reply · Share
  • LendleesLendlees 211 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    A lot depends on the 'competition' for your kid's instrument. Mine applied to 7 with 3 requiring prescreens; auditioned at 6 and was accepted by 4. Same weird range of scholarships from $4K to $37K. We had visited a total of 8 (not all of the same) schools the year before and if I had to do it all over again I would have a) gotten on CC a lot earlier and b) had S take sample lessons at all of the schools he was applying to.

We found the schools he had a 'connection' with the faculty he was accepted at. This is not a hard and fast rule, if you look at this year's journey, many musicians were accepted with only an audition. As far as ACT scores, my S did great on the ACT which has contributed to most of his merit aid. We also only applied to programs within university settings (except one conservatory that was 'affiliated' with a bigger university) as S wants to potentially explore other subjects. Many of the universities accepted him before his audition EA because the music school cut offs are earlier than regular admissions. But, getting into the music programs was conditional on audition. A couple of schools didn't accept until after the audition - once again, no rhyme or reason.
    · Reply · Share
  • 3gigglinggirls3gigglinggirls 47 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I'm back for another round. Junior daughter (D20) plans to major in Voice Performance. I feel like I've got a bit of a head start in this game. We did a lot of the leg work when my oldest daughter (D18) went through the process. She is now a Freshman at Lawrence University studying VP.

Not sure where D20 will land. But gearing up for the journey. It is a whirlwind.
    · Reply · Share
  • SweetStringsSweetStrings 15 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Welcome @3gigglinggirls! I’m guessing by your screen name that you have three daughters. Me too! This is my first time going through the process. It feels overwhelming at times. There’s always something to talk about or research. Just yesterday D finalized her summer music plans. I’m sure I will look to you for your experience.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2clarinetobsessedkidmom2clarinetobsessedkid 70 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @SweetStrings reminded me! Any rising seniors have exciting summer (music related) plans?
    · Reply · Share
  • DramaMama603DramaMama603 69 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Is anyone's child going to the Berklee 5-week this summer?
    · Reply · Share
  • Busy_MommaBusy_Momma 69 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @pdxtigermom , congratulations to your S and to proud mom. I was secretly rooting for UW for you once I heard the he was accepted to CS in itself. Such an amazing accomplishment... but also violin performance??? Wow, that truly is impressive. Seeing your logo made me smile as my own S (non-music kid) is so proud to be there and to wear the sweatshirt that has Paul G. Allen on it.

@Lendlees , congratulations to your S and to you as well! After forcing my junior S to check out Temple (which he didn't want to since it's his parents' alma mater), he was surprised at how nice it was. He was also impressed at how the band director approached him and introduced herself during a break when we just walked into one of the rehearsals. He enjoyed hearing the band and liked the idea of a semester abroad. I myself liked what I heard re: merit aid. Philly is such a great city! And direct flights from Seattle make it a bit easier for the parents, doesn't it?
    · Reply · Share
  • Busy_MommaBusy_Momma 69 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I just noticed I posted the above in the wrong thread. Sorry! Guess I wasn't quite awake yet in doing so :)
    · Reply · Share
  • LendleesLendlees 211 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Busy_Momma - you must be one busy momma! Thanks for the congrats. We had the same feeling at Temple - the faculty have been super nice all along the route. Each time we've been there (tour/audition) the head of the percussion department has walked S out to meet me and introduced himself. Even introduced S to the flute professor and talked about a Bernstein collaboration they were working on. So, all of this makes a long distance mom feel a lot better. Will your S apply to Temple? (and yes, the merit aid helps take a bit of the sting out of 'out of state' tuition.
    · Reply · Share
  • coloraturagirlcoloraturagirl 3 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Hi everyone- I’m new here and new to the whole process of music auditions, posting and commenting. I feel there is a lot to learn and share on this site, so I’m happy to be here. I am a single mom of four and my junior is applying to opera programs- she is spending the summer at Tanglewood and we have to hit the ground running when she gets back. She has her heart set on a Conservatory, but the mom in me also wants her to apply to liberal arts schools where she can get a dual degree (always afraid of the starving music student syndrome). She has already had the lead role in an original opera at her school, and she wants to perform as an undergraduate. This is the most time consuming aspect of the search for me: to find who offers the best performance opportunities for her as an undergraduate.
    Thanks for reading and I wish everyone luck this next year!
    · Reply · Share
  • tubamamatubamama 6 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Hi everyone. I am new as well. I followed the 2019/2023 thread this spring and I am grateful that a 2020 thead has been started. My S is a junior and will be applying to schools in the fall. We've already been on 8 college visits so he has an idea of where he is going to apply. He is going for tuba performance/economics dual degree. Looking forward to this journey with you all :)
    · Reply · Share
  • vistajayvistajay 1446 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @coloraturagirl , a number of schools will fit your criteria but check out Furman. It has an excellent music school with great teachers, has no VP grad students so many performance opportunities, and is a very good liberal arts school in general.
    · Reply · Share
  • khill87khill87 69 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @coloraturagirl My VP daughter will be at Tanglewood this summer too! I'd love to connect our Ds! Mine is also a junior, also more interested in conservatories, but also looking at some LACs and university programs too. Let's definitely PM re: Tanglewood!
    · Reply · Share