right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Class of 2024 undergrad/Class of 2022 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Replies to: Class of 2024 undergrad/Class of 2022 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

• tubamamatubamama 7 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Thank you. We will definitely check it out!
    · Reply · Share
  • SpiritManagerSpiritManager 2815 replies66 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @tubamama You may not know, but Bard Conservatory requires all students to get a double degree: https://www.bard.edu/conservatory/undergraduate/
    And here's info on the Levy Economics Institute on campus: http://www.levyinstitute.org/
    · Reply · Share
  • Busy_MommaBusy_Momma 71 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Yes, welcome to the newbies and thank you to @akapiratequeen for still watching over us!

@Lendlees , yes, S will be applying to Temple, esp since 1- I still have a lot of family and friends there and will make me feel better about having him so far away; and 2- I really, really love the idea of that merit money! We were told that if he could keep his grades up, he could get free tuition and depending on audition, get more merit money. Not that they'll guarantee it, but it's something that's at least a possibility. I know from others' experience not to count on anything until you see an offer in writing. I do feel like I really scored in convincing S on Temple because his stubborn self was still arguing with me about checking it out a couple of hours before our tour. I would have been happier if he conceded that I was right, but whatever. He even bought a Temple shirt! One of the teachers is a Curtis grad who teaches at Juilliard as well and is principal with the Met Opera. Does your S know about the semester abroad at the Amsterdam Conservatory? Is that something he'd consider?
    · Reply · Share
  • LendleesLendlees 211 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Busy_Momma - the merit money is definitely not guaranteed anymore - it used to be, but now it's not. That's not to say that they don't give it...it's just a little more random of how much for academic. My S' grades are ho hum, but his ACT scores were incredible. That translated into a decent amount of $$, but definitely not anywhere near full tuition (unless we were in-state). Was it the advisor @ Boyer that gave you that information? The audition money is extremely random...we are still waiting/hoping for some.

I didn't know about the Amsterdam Conservatory option. We will definitely look into that. Is that new? When I asked last year they didn't offer anything for performance majors, but my kid would be all over that (and so would his parents!). Awesome.

The faculty are amazing - many are principals in local orchestras and/or teach at Curtis as well. We are super thrilled to be there. Feel free to PM me as application/audition time gets closer.
    · Reply · Share
  • coloraturagirlcoloraturagirl 3 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    I haven’t researched much into student loan limits- yikes! My D has a 4.2 and hopefully higher once the year ends, and has 9 AP classes on her transcript. In addition to finding the right opera undergrad program for her, I have been counting on an offer of some merit money as well. She will have three years of Conservatory training from her high school which I hope makes her stand out as well. As a single parent, I am really stressed about the finances. My oldest goes to a state school with a very reasonable tuition, but her major is not as specialized.
    · Reply · Share
  • LendleesLendlees 211 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @coloraturagirl - there is lots of merit money available - especially for music programs situated within larger universities. Your daughter's impressive grades should definitely help, especially if her SAT/ACT scores are commersurate.
    · Reply · Share
  • jadedhavenjadedhaven 46 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @sweetstrings - you''ll get there! I promise.

@colorturagirl - focus on teachers and programs first. Make a list of safeties, known affordability with decent programs. Then make a list of schools that might seem to be out of financial reach but offer good academic merit money combined with music scholarship money. SMU in Dallas is a good example - they give generous academic aid for high stats kids, they have a great conservatory that offers huge money for talented voices/players and they take financial need into consideration. My son received a $208K four year package made up of academic and music scholarships at SMU.

Look outside the box for good fits.

Last - hit for the majors, Apply to a few of the best conservatories for your daughter's specialty - you might be surprised by the acceptances and scholarship money
    · Reply · Share
  • jadedhavenjadedhaven 46 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @colorturagirl - one more thing, on our hunt for safeties we learned that the University of Houston is a feeder program for opera students straight into the Houston Opera - one of the top notch operas in the country.

They are generous with academic and music scholarships. It might be worth a look.
    · Reply · Share
  • albertsaxalbertsax 298 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    Places like Indiana, in which the music program greatly outweighs the university in terms of selectivity, can be very good for getting academic merit money (assuming you can get in!). Make sure you fill out the FAFSA as well, even if you don't think you'd qualify. Many merit scholarships are partially aid-based as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • coloraturagirlcoloraturagirl 3 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Great tips- thank you. U of Houston is definitely on our list as well as IU-Jacobs.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomOD4MomOD4 107 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited May 2
    @Music2023 - OUTSTANDING! Wish I'd read this last year. YES YES YES to develop relationship with professor(s) early and keep in touch. They need to know you want them. AND you need to know you who you really want.
    AND we've all been "our music Senior's Butler" ---I love it!
    Cheers to the Class of 2023 and Best Wishes to the upcoming hopefuls of 2024!
    edited May 2
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2clarinetobsessedkidmom2clarinetobsessedkid 70 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Okay, deep breaths. Thanks to all those who have recently completed this audition journey and are coming here to share their wisdom and relief. We can do this, right? I’ll admit these posts are causing pangs of anxiety, but better to have the info. now rather than later. Will try to digest these recommendations in small doses, and add it all to our game plan. Stressed about forming the best list of schools for my musician. Even with the helpful and thorough advise from @Music2023 on this subject, it all still feels a bit confusing & overwhelming. Time to dig deep and figure out the financial picture for our (currently) top schools. We have also been advised not to worry about sticker price, so I’m not really sure how to proceed! 🤪
    · Reply · Share
  • buoyantbuoyant 113 replies8 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    How will you know if you have affordable options in your list?

My best advice is to first determine if your family is eligible for Financial Aid or not. The answer MAY vary by school - depending on the COA at that school. At that point there are really 2 paths to learn about which I outlined in post #97 of this thread:

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/2130409-merit-scholarships-for-music-majors-reported-by-school-p7.html

Really read about or talk with the FA people at each school so you understand the funding process there. This will help you understand, for example, why students receive the vastly different merit scholarships as @akapiratequeen described above in #137.

Hope for the best and reach for the stars, but understand what that means for each school. 😊
    · Reply · Share
  • akapiratequeenakapiratequeen 1010 replies34 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What @buoyant said! As you do this, don’t be afraid of applying to expensive private schools as well as public (cheaper) instate options! In terms of true cost of attendance after scholarships, Rutgers came in third for us, behind Syracuse and Ithaca, and only a few thousand more than Eastman. Quite the shock!
    · Reply · Share
  • AmyIzzyAmyIzzy 293 replies7 threadsRegistered User Member
    I'm just popping in from the 2023 thread. I'm happy to say we successfully navigated this crazy process and so can you! I responded on that post but thought it was worth posting here for you.

@khill87 I am happy to answer your questions below and always reach out if you have more!

1) How do you feel having an early admit changed the process, for better or worse? Was it worth the scramble to get the apps in early? Did you feel your admissions or scholarship offers were enhanced by applying early?

I am SO glad we did EA at Loyola University (November) College of Saint Rose (November) and Berklee (December.) We also did an early audition-her very first audition-in late October by request at Roosevelt CCPA (she planned a shadow day and they let her do the audition in conjunction with that and videotaped it to view during the normal review process.) Columbia College was a portfolio submission but with rolling admissions so she also treated that was as an EA, submitting everything in early October. She tends to be a procrastinator so this forced her to get paperwork in early and do some early audition prep. We had 4 solid offers before Christmas which was great. Three (Columbia, Loyola and St. Rose) were safety choices but getting into Berklee (and with a decent scholarship) gave her a huge boost of confidence as she prepared for the remaining auditions (CalArts in January, Frost in February, and City College & New School in March.) In general our spread out calendar of auditions, which was by design, worked very well for her. Obviously, everyone is different by when I was reading about 2 or 3 auditions in the same week for some here, some on different coasts and in the midst of tricky weather, I nearly had an anxiety attack thinking about it! So for our family, the EA's and spread-out audition schedule worked out really well and I would personally recommend it.

2) If your kid got in to their top choice early, was it worth the effort to go to all of the other auditions and then ultimately choose the early one? What led you to do so? Did you ever think about skipping the rest of the auditions if you already had a good school in the bag?

My daughter never really had a "top choice" and felt all 9 schools were contenders due to our research on each and she was open to each having the potential to be "the one" so she never even thought about dropping any from the list.

3) If your kid got in early but decided ultimately to go elsewhere, was it because they changed their mind and an early "top choice" fell out of favor? Or did a better offer come in somewhere else? Was the early school more of a "safety" all along, rather than a top choice?

She ultimately chose one of the EA schools (Loyola) so I guess this doesn't apply but the generous scholarship offered early (which increased later in the process) and her positive audition experience (NOT the flight delay nightmare but her connecting with the faculty and their sincere interest in her) definitely kept it on the table.

My general advice for ANYONE starting the process is:

1. Get the common ap done in the summer before school starts (we had September 1st as goal.) I actually hired her favorite English teacher from 8th grade to work with her to complete the common ap and complete her essay. She is more than capable of doing this on her own and is a great writer so only needed someone to check her essay over. But my purpose was to set up structured time for her to work with a neutral person (whom she loves) by her side. They met at a bookstore and it took less than a week, a few hours per day. Keep in mind that each school has additional questions, sometimes requiring much writing, so when you think you are done with the common ap, you are not! So ALL of that was completed with this tutor. Turning in the common ap early also enabled us to schedule the EA auditions sooner. She had a few school-specific applications which were due later so I put that on my daughter to complete but gave her a deadline and knew her pass code (see #4) to check it.

2. Schedule a few EA auditions if you can but with at least one safety school so he/she is not discouraged if they do not get into a tougher school or don't get a big scholarship. To me, the EA should be designed to boost confidence and reduce audition load/stress later.

3. If your child is not properly prepared (emotionally or musically) and needs to focus on intense practice/extra lessons to master the auditions, do not feel you have to schedule early auditions. For some kids, that is critical skill-building and confidence-building time and that should be the priority. Due to my daughter's experience with vocal auditions and her background in theatre which forced her to cram a little for big auditions or performances, I felt she was in the right place to handle the EA's.

4. Your kids will be asked to create sign-in/passcodes for each school, the common ap, Accept'ed (for some prescreens) and FAFSA/CSS profile. It's overwhelming, so try to come up with a common sign-in name (we used my daughter's email) and SAME password that you can use for all things (if it contains a letter, number and symbol you should be good for any.) Keep the passcodes in the notes section of your phone or somewhere that will be handy. Know your child's sign-in and pass codes! If they change it, make them share with you. I know this sounds invasive but your kids will thank you when you check an application and realize they are missing something! If colleges ask for your email and the child's that is great because you will get important info along with your child. But most just ask for one email. It's fine to ask your child to use yours but if your child puts his/her email down, make it clear that they need to forward ANY emails for the schools they applied to, even if it does not seem important. My daughter was overwhelmed with emails from so many schools she did not apply to but she was really good about forwarding the emails from the schools on her list. Please don't judge me if you think this sound too "helicopter parent-ish" but it was very helpful to be informed along the way since this is a very complex process and you don't want to miss something important. I recently found that Columbia had increased my daughter's talent scholarship by $3000 in the final weeks but she somehow missed it. Luckily, she had already decided on Loyola by then but if Columbia was still in the mix, that would have been quite relevant.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Now that this part of the journey is over, I need something to occupy my time anyway! Lol.
    · Reply · Share