right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Music Engraving software.

DoransaDoransa 132 replies1 threads Junior Member
My Son uses finale which was lent from his school. Now it is time to purchase one. When we look the offical website there is a 99 $ version and 350$ version. What is the difference? He is also exploring the Dorico trial version.
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Music Engraving software.

• compmomcompmom 11900 replies82 threads Senior Member
    There are special prices for Finale (notation software) for "academic and theological " ($350) and for US college/ university students ($99). Otherwise the price is $600.
    · Reply · Share
  • DoransaDoransa 132 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Thank you. We were trying to see if there is a difference between $99 and $350 versions
    · Reply · Share
    I don't believe so.

https://www.finalemusic.com/products/finale/special-pricing/
    "Site licenses offer discounted pricing and ensure everyone on campus is using the same version. " Note the "same version."

The student price is based on the assumption that students need more of a discount, I would think. Finale then makes money with upgrades over the years.

I'll double check later today but that is my understanding.
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you.
    · Reply · Share
    The newest version 26.3 just came out June 17, 2020.
    https://www.finalemusic.com/blog/finale-26-3-is-here/

Note that student upgrades are $99, but general public upgrades are $149.

Once a composer starts with a certain software, they are likely to continue. Assuming decades of work, it is smart to have that discount!
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 2
    ps People also use Sibelius. No matter what software they use, composers hate it :)

Former Sibelius developers created Dorico when a UK Sibelius office closed. For a time there was a rumor Sibelius was going to end but it's still going strong.

Most people I know use Finale. And when software doesn't do certain innovative things (like graphic scores), scores are still done by hand :)
    edited August 2
    · Reply · Share
    He writes by hand most of the time. He tried Dorico but it kept crashing. I think he will get the student version of Finale and see how it goes.
    · Reply · Share
    There is no student version, only student price. PM'ed you.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChouTeamChouTeam 19 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Hi!

I’m a composer who used Finale from 2006-2020. I switched to Dorico this year. My 2 cents is.... don’t go with Finale.

Yes it’s a powerful program and it can do what you want (eventually) but it’s a more painful and time consuming experience. Sibelius is a good choice but I really would pick Dorico. It is by far the one with the most active development, and it has truly excellent support (on the Steinberg forums, and in Facebook groups).
    · Reply · Share