Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Appealing Studio Assignments

13»

Replies to: Appealing Studio Assignments

• sagitersagiter Registered User Posts: 358 Member
    Cartera, I agree that if the specific questions were not asked there might have been a misunderstanding. What I am reading in this case was that based on what the OP's D was told there was a tacit agreement and if that is the case I would be really upset.
  • musicprntmusicprnt Registered User Posts: 6,253 Senior Member
    sagiter-
    That was my take on this, that there seemed to be some sort of tacit agreement on the student having that teacher (and it could very well be a misunderstanding on both parties parts, could be the teacher thought they would have the ultimate decision and ended up not having it, any number of things). I think it is important to follow through if just to diffuse any hard feelings, it isn't a great way to start out with a program feeling like they at the get go somehow were done a bad turn by the program.
  • musicprntmusicprnt Registered User Posts: 6,253 Senior Member
    I think there is another point, and it has to do with expectations and I think this plays a role in the problems when miscommunication happens. In our everyday lives, we generally expect to 'get what we pay for' as sagiter said when we go to a car dealership and want a purple cadillac, that is what we expect to get and if we don't we will walk away and be angry at the deception (not to mention real cases of bait and switch).

With schools it is a bit different because when it comes to education the assumption is the parents or the student don't necessarily know what is best for them in terms of how to get the education they need, including if a particular teacher is the right one. When you go to a school, you are paying the program and the teacher to educate the student which implicitly is that they know better, and that can cause major conflict with 'the client is always right' of the 'ordinary world'.

I also suspect at times that people at schools can get an attitude like "we know best" and put that mantle on things that have more to do with the interest of the school rather then being about the student (for example, a promising incoming UG gets 'bumped' from a teacher because the slot is needed for a grad student, or in once case I heard of, a student was moved from one teacher to another so the former teacher could teach a well known prodigy who decided to study at the school with that teacher (this was not recent,btw and I obviously can't confirm it). I will add that I suspect that most times the school probably is thinking of the students best interests, that the real problem is simply not communicating and from what I have heard most schools understand there are perception issues and welcome people questioning decisions.

I don't think that schools need to be treated with kid gloves and be afraid to question their decisions because someone will get offended if you ask a question; while I know there are people like that in any organizations, the egomaniac teacher, the self important administrator, that isn't the rule IME with many different types of organizations. I think perhaps music schools should take note of what goes on on boards like this or in the complaints they do receive, and realize where the misperceptions lie and try to do a better job communicating what happens in the programs (saying that a student may or may not get the teacher they wish is not the same thing as explaining the process in how a student is assigned to a teacher in detail). I think if this information were given up front, it would help dispel misconceptions (and I am sure it varies from school to school). Though I will add unless music schools are way different then the colleges I went to for undergrad and grad school (academic) for, there is usually a lot of room for improvement in communicating basic things like this. To a certain extent people attending college are paying for the privilege of going there, and in the sense,to quote Sym's clothing stores motto "an educated consumer is a our best customer" they should be attempting to educate the kids applying to the school as to what goes on in terms of once they are admitted, so there are no hurt feelings or feeling like somehow they have had a fast one pulled on them.
  • binxbinx Registered User Posts: 4,318 Senior Member
    Tagging onto Musicprnt's thoughts, and not speaking specifically to the OP's situation, but to music students in general, there is a certain supply and demand in effect.

We may *know* that our student would be best served at this school, or by this teacher, and would be willing to pay the cost -- but what we know and/or want is not the only factor here. If Generally speaking, the higher the talent, and the lower the selectivity of the chosen school, the more power you will have over decisions concerning your student.

On the other hand, at the more selective schools (please note that I didn't say *better* - not intending to imply that one way or the other), you will probably find the schools less flexible, simply because they don't need to be. If having your way is important, you might want to avoid those schools.

That is not to say that selective schools are dictatorial, or that non-selective schools are completely maleable. But, to continue the car analogy, if you show up at the Bugatti Veyron
    dealership (is there one?) hoping to kick the tires, no one is going to take you seriously.
  • sagitersagiter Registered User Posts: 358 Member
    Unless of course you are showing up at the Bugatti Veyron dealership in a bright yellow Lamborghini and flashing a Black AmEx card :-))
  • shennieshennie Registered User Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    As far as Eastman goes, they make it clear that studio assignments are not made until June. If you just leave it at that, that is what will happen. So for those who are accepted to Eastman in the future, here is my suggestion. When my son was accepted in cello, there was no studio assignment. Son was very interested in studying with a specific teacher. He had other options available and needed all the cards on the table before he was willing to commit. So he contacted the teacher shortly after getting his acceptance to ask what his status was. As it happened, when the teacher called back, son was out so he spoke to me instead. I was very tactful, but essentially I stated that I was not willing to send in a deposit until I knew the studio assignment. Teacher said he needed to talk to some people and he would get back to us within 48 hours. He called the next evening and spoke to my son to state that son would be assigned to his studio.

Obviously, it is too late for that strategy to work for the OP and I am not going to say that doing this will guarantee you the place that you want, but I do think that it is good to know who you will study with before you sign on the dotted line. If they refuse to assign before June, so be it, but at least you will know that as well.
  • KeyofHKeyofH Registered User Posts: 232 Junior Member
    Good for you, shennie! I'm glad to hear about your son's success and your strategy.
13»
This discussion has been closed.