Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Picky prospective grad student

RosieoftheCelloRosieoftheCello Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
edited June 2009 in Music Major
Hello! I am about to start my senior year at Syracuse University as a Music Performance major in Cello with a minor in Entrepreneurship and Emerging Enterprises. I am also very interested in world drumming (I am one of the leading members of SU's Brazilian Percussion Ensemble). So I am looking for a grad school that has either a Master's in Music Industry or Music Performance, with a competitive string studio, and lots of world percussion ensembles to play in. I would also prefer the school be in a very urban area as I have enjoyed being in a city setting during my time in Syracuse.
SO, with that in mind, any ideas floating around out there? Any help would be much appreciated...
Thanks!
Post edited by RosieoftheCello on

Replies to: Picky prospective grad student

• violadadvioladad Registered User Posts: 6,645 Senior Member
    Rosie, is the emphasis on an MM in music industry, or cello performance? Grad study tends to be pretty focused, and based on your goals the competitiveness of the audition pool will be a prime concern in targeting choices.

Your studio instructor, other cello faculty, string chair, conceivably the chair of chamber music and your orchestral and other ensemble director(s) would be in the best position to recommend potential studios/faculty if performance is your goal based on your current strengths for masters level work . I would not overlook them as primary sources if cello performance is your intended focus.
  • RosieoftheCelloRosieoftheCello Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I'm not sure if my focus is going to be performance or industry, I'm still deciding. What schools have the performance opportunities I want (and what programs they offer) will be a big factor in my ultimate decision as far as what actual degree I pursue. If it is performance, my teachers have told me that my technique will compete well in most schools and that, save for the most selective ones like Eastman and MSM, I should be able to get in to most music schools or at least be on a level playing field as far as auditions go. With that in mind, do you have any further suggestions?
  • DadofclardDadofclard Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    The Frost School of Music at the University of Miami seems to offer wide-ranging fields of study in music business/industry, jazz, etc as well as more traditional music pursuits. Probably not too hard to find world percussion ensembles either.
  • fiddlefrogfiddlefrog Registered User Posts: 1,219 Senior Member
    Boston University (perhaps you could simultaneously do a degree in performance, in the College of Fine Arts, and a certificate in music business, in the Metropolitan College)

Florida State
This discussion has been closed.