Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

EC Question, please help? Carnegie Hall.

CorrynCorryn Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
edited July 2009 in Music Major
Could performing at Carnegie with an invitational choir for a Choir/Orchestra concert series be placed as an EC, or anywhere else on an application for a voice major?
Post edited by Corryn on

Replies to: EC Question, please help? Carnegie Hall.

• KeyofHKeyofH Registered User Posts: 232 Junior Member
    Corryn: Absolutely, performing with an invitational choir at CH could be placed on resume or application as an EC as could all of your choir experience, assuming you are applying to relevant programs, such as vocal performance or music education (my area of familiarity) -- other posters can provide you with advice if you are interested in other music programs.
  • CorrynCorryn Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
    Awesome, :) Thank you very much KeyofH
  • Singersmom07Singersmom07 Registered User Posts: 4,074 Senior Member
    Corryn recommend you have a complete music resume, separate from other ECs. List all of the music activities, groups, special awards, special notable performances, outside gigs (church choir? for example DD was summer soloist for the church choir). The Carnegie Hall would be a part of this. This was separate from the repertoire list which DD also prepared.
  • violadadvioladad Registered User Posts: 6,645 Senior Member
  • wallfleurwallfleur Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    Of course, that sounds amazin'!
  • speiheispeihei Registered User Posts: 365 Member
    Depends. Anyone can rent CH and there are a number of events there that are filled with less than impressive musicians, but make a handsome profit for the concert organizers.

Savvy application readers know the difference between merit-based opportunities at CH and "the check cleared" opportunities.
  • musicprntmusicprnt Registered User Posts: 6,253 Senior Member
    speihei is correct, simply performing at Carnegie Hall may not mean anything, it depends more on the program the person is performing in. For example, I have seen high school orchestra groups performing there, and while it is great the kids got an opportunity to play there, given the relative level of most high school programs (that probably have some high level students, but also have people like I was in high school) I am not sure it would be that great on a resume. Likewise, groups can buy their way in there (my son once got a laugh at a girl who had on her resume 'made her carnegie hall debut at age 8', making it sound like she soloed with a major orchestra; turns out she had played in a music competition that basically was a Korean cultural community program at Weill recital hall, which is basically a write the check moment).

If the program is a high level one, then yes, it would have impact on a resume. If the program is known for high level standards to get into it, then playing carnegie hall, even if the group rented the space, would be useful on a resume, more because of the program itself then being at Carnegie Hall. Same could be said of a competition where the winner soloes in Carnegie Hall, assuming the competition is high level and not as in the example I gave above. As someone once said, you can buy your way into carnegie hall, and playing there is not always an indication of high level capability; if a group simply has the financial resources to rent carnegie hall and brings the equivalent of a good high school choral program, it may not mean anything, but if the group wins a competition known for the high level of the winners, that makes a big difference.

As a side note, I have seen a lot of young musicians resumes, and it amazes me how much junk is on a lot of them, they list every event they have ever played at, every master class and church recital, no matter how trivial, it is like quantity to them means more then quality. From what I have seen and been told, it is much better to stick to quality, winning a suzuki level competition at age 6 doesn't matter much when you are trying to get a gig at 18, or having a master class with the head of a local ASTA group is unlikely to impress a hiring manager or admissions people at a top level program.
This discussion has been closed.