Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Music Schools: Undergraduate into Graduate School

iluvpianoiluvpiano Registered User Posts: 2,033 Senior Member
edited August 2009 in Music Major
What undergraduate schools should a music major go to if you want to get into a top-ranked music graduate school?
Post edited by iluvpiano on

Replies to: Music Schools: Undergraduate into Graduate School

• stephminstephmin Registered User Posts: 256 Junior Member
    The best undergraduate school is the school that gives the best preparationg to the person in question in order for him or her to be at his or her most competitive level when it comes time for graduate school auditions.

I am also curious - what are these top ranked graduate schools you have on your mind?
  • mamenyumamenyu Registered User Posts: 1,520 Senior Member
    Harvard posts the undergraduate provenance of its graduate students - you can look it up; as I recall they are from a wide variety of schools, including Harvard, Princeton, UC Berkeley, Oberlin, Juilliard, Bowling Green, Oxford and Cambridge UK, Colorado College, Stanford, William and Mary, Amherst, Smith, Brown, Queens; i.e., all over the place...graduate schools accept few students each year, and they look for strong preparation (which you can get at many schools), top grades, top recommendations, writing samples, and a decent score on the GREs; they look for adequate music analysis preparation.
  • stephminstephmin Registered User Posts: 256 Junior Member
    But, many Ivy League and Juilliard and other graduate programs have students who graduated from UMass or CUNY or community college.

They are looking for how good the applicant is. Not where they obtained their BA or BM.
  • Mezzo'sMamaMezzo'sMama Forum Champion Music Major Posts: 3,556 Forum Champion
    May I suggest that the OP begin this research on her/his own? There is another post asking us to "list the best music schools in each state" and still more that are along the same line. It is not the time for the student to be concerned with graduate school- much research should be done solo and with the teacher rather than beginning threads with nebulous questions/answers.
This discussion has been closed.