Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

U Illinois/Brandeis/LMU-NO--any info?

CLRN8MOMCLRN8MOM Registered User Posts: 352 Member
edited August 2009 in Music Major
Does anyone have any info/experience with the following schools? I am interested in comments on the general music experience and opportunites/ability of students/academics/facilities. I can look into specific clarinet teachers later.

U Illinois Urbana-Champagne
Brandeis
Loyola Marymount U, New Orleans

thanks!
Post edited by CLRN8MOM on

Replies to: U Illinois/Brandeis/LMU-NO--any info?

• violadadvioladad Registered User Posts: 6,645 Senior Member
    Search this forum/advanced/"UCIC" (with quotes)/entire post/show posts (not threads) will bring up a bout a page of posts. There may be more if you play around with the name in variations as the search criteria.

Also, there's a few posters on the Master list acceptances threads with UCIC acceptances. You might want to search for past posts under those usernames, or pm them for input.

Again, the same methods bring up close to 200 posts on Brandeis (but many in the Master List thread), and rlmcmillan's son had an acceptance in '08. Another source of info.

Basically, too many to link, but this will get you started.

There's references to Loyola U NO, but nothing on Loyola Marymount NO, except one question similar to yours.

You might want to get a general experience overview form the general and school specific forums.
  • ImperialZeppelinImperialZeppelin Registered User Posts: 377 Member
    "UCIC" search only brings up this thread...

What exactly does UCIC stand for? Nothing that these flatlanders in Illinois use to identify their school. Maybe "Clout Admission" will bring up something?

Searching "Illinois" or "Champaign", etc. will bring up what CLRN8MOM wants in terms for info of U of I Champagin/Urbana
    Mea culpa. The wife is washing my hair shirt. Perhaps self flagellation would be suitable penance.

Zep, thanks. It's a typo. If you use "UIUC" as the criteria within the parameters I've stated, it'll bring up about a page of posts.

Damn it Jim, I'm a parent, not a typist. :D
  • CLRN8MOMCLRN8MOM Registered User Posts: 352 Member
    You guys are funny. Nice to get a good chuckle when I'm feeling so stressed out about this whole process!!
    Violadad, I knew it was a typo, no worries.
    thanks for the help.
    and unfortunately I am old enough to know where your "damn it Jim" phrase came from!
    If anyone has any personal experience with the above schools, I would appreciate it, and many thanks to the person who already PM'ed me.
  • rudysmomrudysmom Registered User Posts: 301 Junior Member
    Hi Clrn8mom,

Loyola Marymount is in Los Angeles. Loyola New Orleans is the only Loyola with a College of Music and Fine Arts. My son will be a freshman there, starting next week. PM me if you have questions and I'll try to answer them.

"The College of Music was established when the New Orleans Conservatory of Music and Dramatic Art was incorporated into the university in 1932. The College of Music gives students the chance to combine liberal arts with professional music courses. It is the only Jesuit college of music in the United States. The college offers programs in Jazz Studies, Music Education, Music Therapy, Music Industry Studies, Instrumental Performance, Vocal Performance, Ballet, Theatre Arts, and Visual Arts.

In April 2007, the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz Performance announced its relocation to the College of Music and Fine Arts from the campus of the University of Southern California. The Music Industry program was one of the first in the country, and combines both the performing and technical aspects of the music business."

Loyola Universities/Colleges in the United States:

* Loyola College in Maryland, Baltimore

* Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, California
    o Loyola Law School

* Loyola University Chicago, Illinois
    o Loyola University Chicago School of Law
    o Loyola University Medical Center

* Loyola University New Orleans, Louisiana
    o Loyola University New Orleans College of Law

• fiddlestixfiddlestix Registered User Posts: 218 Junior Member
    Possibly some comments - no specific wind knowledge, sorry!

In general, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign is the toughest academic admit of the Illinois state schools. Many students, even from excellent suburban Chicago school districts, can't make the academic cut due to class rank, etc. I'm not qualified to give all the ins and outs of UIUC's academic admission process for in-stater's or out-of-staters - my intent is just to indicate that the overall academic level of the University is high.

From personal knowledge, I can comment that the Pacifica Quartet - the string quartet in residence - is excellent. I know something of the teaching of the two Pacifica violinists - again, excellent. Don't mean to slight anyone else, but I have no personal knowledge of other studio faculty members - strings, wind, piano, voice, etc. - so can't comment.

Facilities & opportunities - nothing lacking that I've heard complaints about. Stand alone music buildings, practice rooms adequate, library excellent, performance facility very fine, etc. Large band program - actually a department separate from the Music Dept.

Check for a PM as well.
  • CompGradCompGrad Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    I have an acquaintance doing a PhD in composition at Brandeis. She's an excellent composer, and AFAICT enjoying her time.

I have another good friend who used to attend Brandeis for undergrad as a composer doing a BA, but eventually transfered out after two years into a conservatory program and completed a BM.

I didn't know Pacifica Quartet was in reisdence at UIUC. They are an excellent quartet. One of the true young stars of the classical world. Aren't they in reisdence at SUNY Stony Brook? Or am I thinking of the veteren Emerson Quartet?
  • CLRN8MOMCLRN8MOM Registered User Posts: 352 Member
    thanks, Rudysmom, I might PM you in a couple of months to see how your son is doing. I read his story about the music therapy and was very interested. (thanks also for clarifying the correct name of Loyola).
    fiddlestix, thanks also.
  • rudysmomrudysmom Registered User Posts: 301 Junior Member
    I'd be more than happy to help.

We are from Chicago and we personally felt that Loyola N.O.'s college of music was stronger than UofI's, but that is only our opinion based on the specifics that my son was interested in at the time. We also felt that Loyola offered a much more nurturing atmosphere than any of the larger schools, such as UofI.

Visit and compare.
    CompGrad, Emerson is in residence at Stony Brook, there since they left Hartt six or so years back. I was pleasantly surprised to hear Pacifica was QiR at UIUC. Pacifica also holds an ensemble in residence spot at UChicago.

FYI, the Chiara SQ is a Blodgett Ensemble in Residence (or do they term it Visiting Artist) at Harvard. Worth your time if to see you are in the Boston area.
  • -Allmusic--Allmusic- Registered User Posts: 6,350 Senior Member
    Brandeis and Wellesley have a combined orchestra, which can be seen as a plus or minus, depending on how you look at it. I think they rehearse once a week at each school, but they combined because I do not think either school had enough instrumentation for their own orchestras. They are a reasonable sounding orchestra, but not at all like a conservatory orchestra. I know that Brandeis sometimes has to hire out of the school for pit bands, etc.

Brandeis has at least one big music scholarship (full tuition, maybe more), and some scholarships that cover lesson fees (which are separate) but it is a BA only program. The Loyola and UICI programs are both BMs, I believe, so it also depends whether your daughter wants to major in music in a liberal arts setting, or be a music major in a school of music.
This discussion has been closed.