Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Attire for audition day

2»

Replies to: Attire for audition day

• POTO MomPOTO Mom Registered User Posts: 517 Member
    OK - Here's the scoop from Oberlin yesterday. All of the singers we saw had on black dresses except a mezzo who had on pants. Boys wore suits. Auditions started at 9:30 and went until 12:20 at 8 minute intervals so you can do the math. Singers had 15 minutes with their accompanist prior to singing. Sing your two songs, "do you play any instrument ?"and then the next person comes in. D got to sing both songs all the way thru. There was a reception the afternoon before where the students get to meet the teachers and chat a little. At the welcome reception, we heard a vocal solo, bassoonist and pianist who were all super. Saturday, they had a financial presentation, four students who talked about their Oberlin experience, a campus tour and the admissions director comments. (Campus tour guide was exceptional) Thanks BEEZMOM for reminding me to get a HS excuse slip. My D forgot to tell me and I was reading your comments on this thread and she said "OH, I need one of those." So I jumped off CC and headed to admissions. CC is so great.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,827 Senior Member
    I would say your attire is important. Remember...before you even begin to play or sing your audition, the committee is likely formulating an opinion about you (and likely your appearance plays into that). DS wore black slacks or khaki slacks, white shirt and a tie. He usually wore a sports jacket as well, but took it off for the audition itself. Comfortable shoes are VERY important.

DD (the one who is NOT a music major) did auditions at two schools. She wore very dressy black slacks and a black top...sweater type in cooler weather and a blouse in warmer weather. She is an oboe player. A dress would not work especially if she was sitting. She wore comfortable shoes...hair pulled back. Simple and comfortable.
  • stradmomstradmom Registered User Posts: 4,671 Senior Member
    Hartt auditioners: guys mostly in khakis of various hues and dress shirts, most with ties, a couple of suits, one guy very casual and looking uncomfortable about it. Girls mostly in dress pants or dresses, including the ever-popular little black dress. We also had snow in the forecast, but like many Connecticut blizzards, this one ended up with a light dusting that's already gone except in the higher elevations.

The day was pretty well organized to my eye, with helpful signs and student admissions workers buzzing about. Free bagels and coffee, decent and relatively honest info session, lunch coupons, practice rooms reserved for auditioners in the half hour before their scheduled time, and very, very nice audition committee. And they promise results within a month.
  • fiddlestixfiddlestix Registered User Posts: 218 Junior Member
    I agree that it presents the right "picture" to dress appropriately. Violin/viola young men may not find jackets or ties ideal for comfort when playing. That's OK - slacks (not jeans) and a button shirt also can present a neat appearance.

Also, agree about the shoes - but wanted to relate from personal experience that sloppy running shoes are not necessarily a deal killer. I would not recommend traveling without "good" shoes, but one of ours arrived from airport without "audition shoes" in suitcase and made his appearance with very well worn athletic shoes (didn't even match the rest of audition clothes!). Was still admitted to both schools on that stop.

So, lesson, if something attire-wise goes awry, don't focus on it. Project yourself professionally, even if the unthinkable happens and the airlines loses your suitcase and audition wardrobe!
2»
This discussion has been closed.