Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Boco vs nyu tisch new studio

ZDRAMAMOMZDRAMAMOM Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited April 2012 in Musical Theater Major
Trying to help my S make the best decision. Can anyone weigh in?
Post edited by ZDRAMAMOM on

Replies to: Boco vs nyu tisch new studio

• beenthereMTdadbeenthereMTdad Registered User Posts: 496 Member
    The only way to do this is for your son to spend an overnight stay at each school.
  • KatMTKatMT College Rep Posts: 4,131 Senior Member
    If a visit to each school is not possible at this point, encourage him to make a list of criteria that he is looking for in a program. Then, list the pros and cons of each program as they meet those criteria.

Both schools are in cities... but NYC is a very different city than Boston. Does he have a preference for one or another?

Both schools offer conservatory level training... but NYU is part of a larger university with all of those resources, has more academic requirements, offers the ability to double major, and offers the possibility of exploring another studio for advanced training. BOCO is a much smaller institution and all student studying there are in the arts. There are fewer academic requirements.

Similarities and differences will go on and on... BUT, it is how they stack up against your son's criteria that will help him make the final decision.

Both are strong programs, so it really is a matter of what each has to offer in relationship to what he is looking for.

Years ago I was deciding between Syracuse, NYU, Ithaca, and Emerson.... never even applied to BOCO because my NH Boarding HS had been super small, and I wanted a larger more diverse college environment... I had visited each, but could not go back for second visits after being admitted. I was able to make an educated decision I was VERY HAPPY with based upon weighing the pros and cons against my own personal criteria. With things like facebook and email, I am sure that he can communicate with current students in each of the programs to help him get a sense of the student culture at each school.

Great problem to have... deciding between two great schools. :) All the best!
    I would ad a few things to consider about the Boco experience. Boco uses Northeasterns' gym and cafeteria. Boston is a relatively small, clean and safe city with over 250,000 fellow college students. My D is a 2007 graduate and has no shortage of friends from BU, BC, Emerson, Harvard, Northeastern and Boco of course. She regualrly went to Red Sox games, hockey games, basketball games, baseball games, etc. My D started out wanting conservatory training in a large university setting ie, Miami, Penn State, U Mich, CCM but that all changed once she spent the night at Boco. Like KatMT said, you have a good problem.
  • KatMTKatMT College Rep Posts: 4,131 Senior Member
    :-) there are so many great schools... it is all about finding the fit. If your son can go back from a visit that is ideal. If you can't your son can't he should use all resources possible... including parent and student posters here to glean as much information as possible.
  • ZDRAMAMOMZDRAMAMOM Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    We did visit both this past weekend, but you really don't get an idea of quality of classes, faculty, etc. We saw a lot of hallways at both schools. Of course, there was much more energy at NYU. I am having a hard time getting feedback about the New Studio at NYU, I guess because it is "NEW."
  • supportivesupportive Registered User Posts: 441 Member
    ^ Check the NYU Tisch MT sub-forum. There are a lot of posts about NSB on there and by the way, the school and the program are wonderful!
  • soozievtsoozievt Registered User, ! Posts: 31,495 Senior Member
    Here is the link to the musical theater forum for NYU/Tisch on this site and there are many discussion threads there that would be good to read:

NYU/Tisch MT - College Confidential
  • tracyvptracyvp Registered User Posts: 660 Member
    Wow! I would think this would be a relatively easy decision. Does your S want a fairly rigorous academic education along with his MT training, or is he looking for a pure conservatory program.

The 2 schools are VASTLY different in their focus, and I would think that a student who wants the type of program at the one would be pretty unhappy at the other.
    ZDRAMAMOM:

I meant that your son son should visit each school, stay overnight with a student in a dorm and follow the student through their classes. Can't speak to NYU but I know Boco will arrange this for your son. That's what my D did and her decision was an easy one.
This discussion has been closed.