Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What's ahead after COLLEGE Graduation for the MT Students

13»

Replies to: What's ahead after COLLEGE Graduation for the MT Students

• soozievtsoozievt Registered User, ! Posts: 31,633 Senior Member
    ^^^Agreed. Here is an anecdote and then I should get off the topic as it is not really the topic of the thread. But when my D was almost 11, she went to her first agent submitted audition in NYC. My D was a "hick" from VT and up against girls with major credits who auditioned in NYC all the time (example, the next person at the audition after my D's turn was Lea Michele who now stars on Glee but at that point had been on Broadway already....my D knew her as they went to camp together). While my D had prepared a song, the composer of the work was the one who held the audition and didn't want to hear the prepared song but rather taught an excerpt of the music on the spot (music my D had never heard or seen before), and it was not easy music as it was an opera style piece and my D could sight read music (had been playing instruments for about four years at that point and so was able to pick it up on the spot). I recall when her audition was over, the composer opened the door and said to me (I was in the hall), "she learns very quickly." My D got the part and performed the role for two years. I really do think her ability to sight read music played a role in the audition going so well.
  • jasmomjasmom Registered User Posts: 1,141 Senior Member
    My son graduated 4 years ago from Tisch-Playwrights, and although I wouldn't describe him as mainly MT, his experiences might be relevant. He performs regularly in a long-running Off-Broadway production, and when not scheduled to perform, assists in other aspects of the production. This is his "meat and potatoes" in terms of income. In addition, he assists a sculptor (another interest of his in addition to theater is art) doing some modeling, historical research and grant-writing). He has picked up some paying choreography and dancing gigs (but these are sporadic, and typically happen when people call him, rather than when he seeks them out). He even regularly works for former faculty in non-acting capacity.
    But also, he and a couple of peers formed a non-profit theater company, which allows them to be eligible for grants and to accept tax-free donations. They were able to provide educational credit to theater interns over this past year, and have written, directed, choreographed, produced and performed a number of plays. Their actors, designers, tech folk, and composers arise mostly from NYU contacts, but they hold auditions, and have cast graduates from other programs. They will be performing in Europe in the summer, taking a play that they have workshopped and performed at a variety of festivals and venues. So far, the theater company has been a break even enterprise (so not a source of income) but they've been artistically very successful.
    So, he's learning a lot about fund-raising, about managing a business, and is becoming a prolific grant-writer.
  • kedstuffkedstuff Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    S graduated CMU in 2011 along with others mentioned earlier in this thread—not a member of the group of BFA Acting guys who are successfully creating their own futures around their creative program, he is an Acting/MT BFA instead. He opted for L.A. over NYC as a personal preference. While auditions his manager sets up for B’way musicals require flights, his preference is to live his life in L.A. and be prepared to shift to New York if that becomes necessary. He has so far been in a new musical (lead)—small production but well reviewed, a short film (lead) going to festivals now, an independent film (principal) with Danny Glover, an episode of Fatal Encounters (lead) and a reading and now upcoming production of a new play (lead) in which Alfred Molina played the role of his father in the reading!
    Is he self-supporting? No. Are we pleased with what he has been able to do in his first year out of school? Yes! I second the reactions of others about the importance of a range of interests and skills. He has done lots of filming/directing/editing of short video and music video projects which have also increased his visibility as an actor and have extended his connections among the entertainment community. His music (guitar and piano), camera and computer skills have all grown as a result. He is earning some money from his camera skills, including for headshots among friends and acting acquaintances.
    The constant uncertainty of what will come through among the many things “in the works” would not work for me but he is generally able to cope with this lifestyle as long as he is able to keep busy. His dad and I are impressed with his industry and see this as a form of “grad internship.”
13»
This discussion has been closed.