Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A Few of Your Favorite Things

Replies to: A Few of Your Favorite Things

• monkey13monkey13 Registered User Posts: 1,029 Senior Member
    What a great thread!

1) Your favorite performance that you or your child was involved in, and why. Johanna in Sweeney Todd. The cast was fabulous, and I saw the show 5 times without getting bored - in fact, I could have seen it another 5 times. Reading the glowing reviews and hearing total strangers compliment my daughter's performance was just wonderful.

2) Your favorite MT show that you've ever seen, and why. My very first Broadway show - Hair in 1969. Need I say more?

3) Your favorite performance by any MT actor, and why. Joel Grey in Cabaret. He was perfectly creepy yet funny. I could not shake his face from my mind for weeks....
  • MomCaresMomCares Registered User Posts: 3,148 Senior Member
    Ok... reading this thread is REALLY making me want to see some theatre!

Our next shows are a new musical (First Date) tomorrow, and our next Broadway tickets are for another new show (Peter and the Starcatcher) in a couple weeks... CAN'T WAIT!
  • soozievtsoozievt Registered User, ! Posts: 31,495 Senior Member
    About Newsies....I gotta say that both of my girls were infatuated with that movie when they were quite young. They watched it lots of times. I only wish my older daughter could go with my younger D and I to see it next week but she is on the other coast right now. I'm seeing my D in three different shows on this trip to NYC, plus Newsies on the fourth night. The most recent show I have seen was last weekend, my kids' old high school's musical, which was Chicago.
  • tracyvptracyvp Registered User Posts: 660 Member
    How fun to read everyone's responses! I always have a hard time with lists like this because my favorites change all the time!!

Favorite show my kids have been in: Sorry, I've got to put 2 (I have 2 kids!). D playing Eponine in "Les Mis" will always be my fave. I know some of you think it's absolutely NUTS that she's played it twice already and happily, will be playing it again this summer. I'm sorry, but it's just the role she was born to play and I really hope she gets to play it professionally one day. But my favorite "moment" in all of my kids' MT life up to this point was when my S played Horton and D played Jojo in "Seussical." I just cried through "Alone in the Universe" every single show.

Favorite show you've seen: Okay I can't pick one, and I haven't seen that many outside of youth/school shows. But I guess "Wicked" wins, although "H2$" with DR and "Anything Goes" with Sutton would be close seconds. "Mary Poppins" was pretty amazing as well! Oh, and "NEWSIES!" Oh, my goodness, it was so great! I wanted them to start over again the second it was done! (It was especially exciting knowing that one of the boys is going to be in D's class next year) AAAHHHH!

Count us among those who saw a less than stellar performance by Alice Ripley in "N2N." We loved the show, and the rest of the cast was amazing. I'm glad to hear it was just an "off" night. We were actually kind of shocked by how bad it was that night. But we kept thinking it must be an anomaly because the rest of the show was so great.

Favorite MT performer/performance: I have to agree with Joel Grey in "Anything Goes." We could not get over what presence and ENERGY that man has! Wish we could see it again!
    tracy, your post does remind me of one show that I should have thought of as a favorite of my own kids, because they were both in Annie together at our local theater. D1 played Pepper and D2 played Annie. Actually, their dad got into the act and was in the show too as he figured when else would he ever get to be in a show with both daughters. My girls were 11 and 13 at the time and so that one was quite memorable and I guess earlier I was thinking of older age shows D2 was in.

I almost forgot, but D1 used to be in many musicals too but doesn't have a career in that field. So, thinking back on her shows, hmm, well, can't pick one but maybe playing the lead in the school musical when she was in sixth grade, playing Sister Margaretta in Sound of Music, dancing in Anything Goes, 42nd Street and Evita, and her first musical ever at age 5, an orphan in Annie.
  • monkey13monkey13 Registered User Posts: 1,029 Senior Member
    Would love to hear what people think of Ghost....saw it last weekend, and while I had issues with the gratuitous use of video, the special effects were stunning, and the talent incredible. Definitely worth seeing, if nothing else for Caissie Levy's voice and the absolutely amazing live special effects.
  • sydsimsydsim Registered User Posts: 311 Member
    1. D's performance in Hairspray her freshman year of HS. She was out of school with mono for a month and thought that she'd miss auditions. We videotaped one from her sick bed (actually her sick sofa), and she got the part. She really came into her own in that part and it's when I really realized that yes, MT would have to be her major in college.

2. Purlie! Saw it at a regional theatre as a very young child and was fascinated because I had never seen an all black musical before. Would luv for D to play Lutiebelle someday.

3. Yul Brynner on Broadway in The King & I. Found out that he would be leaving the show and begged my dad for tickets. Mind blowing. Eventually named my first pet Brynner.
  • kksmom5kksmom5 Registered User Posts: 542 Member
    My favorite performance my girl has done is always the last one - haha. Recently she was Annie in AGYG and she was so wonderful. So many people said, "That is the perfect role for her," and I had to agree. It was a chance for her to show her comedic side as well as her feisty and sweet side too. It was also a bit of a relief after college auditions to have music to sing that was not TOO challenging. :0)

ANYTHING GOES is my favorite show for sure - partly because of my daughter's reactions throughout and also because of Sutton Foster. It was our first trip to NYC this past summer and we'd been looking forward to it for ages. My girl is tall like Sutton and so has been a real inspiration to her (for obvious other reasons too!) . . . when Sutton walked out on stage for the first time, I heard my girl gasp (makes me teary-eyed just thinking about it). And then when they got to "Anything Goes" . . . the look on my D's face . . . well, I will never forget that. Then "Blow Gabriel" . . . what's not to love about the entire show? I'm still amazed at the level of fitness that it took for SF to dance that entire number and still sing like she did. Unforgettable really. Like many of you, we loved Joel Gray too, but we really loved Jessica Stone as Irma. So good. Like Tracyvp, we got to see Daniel Radcliffe in HOW TO SUCCEED - that was quite a thrill for my D as well as she grew up obsessed with HP. Of course it didn't hurt that he was fabulous - we were so impressed by how much he put into that role - no resting on his laurels for him!

Besides SF I would have to say that my favorite performance of an MT actor is Julie Andrews in THE SOUND of MUSIC. She's just so lovely in every way. The movie had been out quite a while by the time I was old enough to appreciate it, and when I was little I knew all the songs by heart. Honestly, I think my elementary music teacher had us sing at least one of the songs in our concerts every year! TSOM is probably a big reason my D ended up loving musicals so much. We wore out video tapes of it at our house when she was little (that and THE LION KING!) . . . it's also a family tradition to watch it at Christmas time. Ironically, TSOM was the first mainstage musical my daughter was in as Sister Sophia. :0)
    ^^It's funny but when my kids were VERY little, they would watch certain musical movies over and over again.....Sound of Music and Oliver (I recall D1 just being a tot and craving both of these) and also Newsies. Both my girls were infatuated with musicals from toddlerhood! D1 was in her first professional musical at age 5 and D2 at age 4 1/2! It was one of many things they enjoyed, but it ended up that for D2, it became her life.

And oh, of course, the Disney films were all coming out when they were little, Lion King, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast.....
    Our kids were all so fortunate to grow up during a golden age of Disney movie musicals. Hoorah for Alan Menken!!

We could add to the list of favorites...

4) Your favorite song from a Disney musical.

For me (as of this minute) that would be...

4) My favorite -- either "Out There" or "Heaven's Light" from Hunchback or "If I Can't Love Her" from Beauty and the Beast. D loved "Reflection" from Mulan and "A Change in Me" from Beauty and the Beast.

As with most of you, I have to just venture a quick answer to these questions, since on a different day my answers could be totally different. So many musicals, so little time. ;-D
  • Lulu63Lulu63 Registered User Posts: 475 Member
    Wonderful thread but so many choices!!!
    1. Favorite performance of my D is probably Madame T. in Les Mis because it was a wonderful experience for her to have to go outside the box and the cast and performances were amazing! However, she is Sandy in Grease this summer so that may change! ;)

2. Favorite MT show is harder!! I loved Wicked, Lion King and recently adored Anything Goes!!! Such a wonderful dance show and Sutton and Joel Grey were superb. Couldn't stop dancing all the way back to the hotel.

3. Fave MT actor has to be Sutton. She is a true triple threat and just lights up the stage. I wasn't fortunate enough to see Idina or Kristen in Wicked or they may have taken this spot. I did see Alice R in N2N, however she is such a pre Madonna that I have trouble liking her. She was very annoying at curtain call trying to take all the credit for the show. I just can't stomach her but she was amazing in her role.

4. And as for favorite Disney song so hard to choose!!! I love the Lion King soundtrack the most but I really love "Be Our Guest" from Beauty and the Beast or You'll be in My Heart from Tarzan (but that's cause I love Phil Collins).
  • musicaliowanmusicaliowan Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    I'm a student but I still felt like posting on here, so...

1) My favorite performance of mine will probably be next weekend! I'm playing the Baker in Into the Woods at school. I love the role, I think fairy tales are fascinating, and I auditioned on No More! I can't wait to do our preview on Wednesday!

2) Favorite show would have to be Spring Awakening. My mom hated it, mainly because of the story, but one of my goals is to play Moritz (and hopefully professionally). The music is fantastic and I love the intense characters. I also just so happened to us one of Moritz's monologues from The Awakening of Spring for auditions too! Hahahaha, that was very fun.

3) Favorite MT actor has to be Aaron Tveit. I saw him in Catch Me If You Can on Broadway and absolutely loved his performance. Another one of my goals is to sing Goodbye, including the high Bb, which is a little high for me right now. Unfortunantly, I'm not the same type as Aaron, which is why I wish I could see How to Succeed! Like Nick Jonas, Darren Criss, and Daniel Radcliffe, I'm a little short, dark hair, and skinny. Hahahaha it's perfect!

4) Favorite Disney song has to be Under the Sea. Don't know why, I just love it.
    ^^^Students are surely welcome!! This forum is for both students and parents (and others)!!!

Break a leg as the Baker in ITW....fabulous role.
    (my kid played Little Red in 9th grade in her HS production and then musically directed a production of ITW at her college in soph year)
    @musicaliowan - I'm pretty sure this forum is mostly for students since you are, after all, the ones who all this college stuff is about, so it's perfect for you to post. Have a great time with your upcoming show!
  • jeffandannjeffandann Registered User Posts: 671 Member
    Catch up time, I have to add my favorite Disney song. Has to be, without question, The Bells of Notre Dame in Hunchback. That guy has an amazing voice.

Curtain for Les Mis goes up Thursday night through Sunday. My daughter is a prostitute among other things and will be coming out on stage in her corset; some day I'll get used to this stuff...................
This discussion has been closed.