Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What musicals is your college planning for 2012-13?

Replies to: What musicals is your college planning for 2012-13?

• soozievtsoozievt Registered User, ! Posts: 31,495 Senior Member
    Wow, seems like Spring Awakening is the go to show next year at many colleges. I hear it MIGHT be the fall show at Pace too, but isn't for sure.
  • MrsDrzMrsDrz Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    and yes, apparently there will many, many "Spring" Awakenings...and some "Fall" Awakenings too : )
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 12,128 Senior Member
    Was talking to a friend at MTI earlier this week and there are already ~ 125 productions of Spring Awakening licensed for productions in the next year and a bit.
  • AlexaMTAlexaMT Registered User Posts: 618 Member
    Just to add our plays, CCU is also doing "Intimate Apparel" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in the fall, "On the Verge" and "Hot L Baltimore" in the Spring! :)

With all these colleges doing Spring Awakening next year, I have a good feeling the show will be making the rounds at a ton of Summer Stock theatres, too. Better get a contemporary cut ready for SETC/NETC/Strawhats!
    Alexa....good point. Actually, every MTer should have contemporary songs in their rep given the number of musicals in this day and age that have that sort of music. Many do!
  • AlexaMTAlexaMT Registered User Posts: 618 Member
    Oh, definitely! We're coached to have not only 2 or 3 contemporary musical theatre songs, but as many pop songs from different eras as possible (50s and 60s songs are especially useful) and at least one contemporary pop/rock song- not from a musical. But I probably wouldn't use a contemporary MT song as my ONE 16 bar cut for Strawhats, unless I saw that almost RVERY theatre was doing "Spring Awakening", "Next to Normal", "American Idiot", etc. that season. It could be a risky choice otherwise.
    I understand what you mean, but I was thinking not just of summer stock. :D

I was thinking of MT auditions in general. Being able to sing contemporary MT and rock/pop is pretty essential these days and should be in one's rep. Hopefully all MT college programs teach and coach this kind of singing and rep in prep for professional MT careers (not simply summer stock, some of which tends NOT to include these types of musicals actually).
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 12,128 Senior Member
    Alexa, what a great group of shows you'll be doing next year! One of these days, when we're at our place in Hilton Head, I hope to get up to Coastal Carolina to see a show. :)
  • RegineRegine Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    doing sunday in the park with george
    and ... wait for it...spring awakening
  • stagedoor22stagedoor22 Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    LOL! Penn State is... not doing Spring Awakening.
    But they are doing [title of show], Sweeney Todd, Songs for A New World, Up From Here and In the Red and Brown Water.
  • monkey13monkey13 Registered User Posts: 1,029 Senior Member
    When we were visiting Ithaca last week, they told us they they had only repeated one show (Threepenny Opera, I believe) in 23 years. I was shocked!
  • kksmom5kksmom5 Registered User Posts: 542 Member
    Otterbein's Season . . .

Noises Off
    Spring Awakening
    Dance Concert
    After the Fall
    Workshops for Students
    How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
    (+ unannounced classroom project)

I find it fascinating that SA is popping up everywhere!
  • MrsDrzMrsDrz Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    Interestingly enough, the majority of my D's vocal rep is contemporary MT. D's voice teacher is always telling her she is perfect for the contemporary because she isn't a soprano which is the standard in a lot of classic MT. We are always searching for new material and love the newmusicaltheatre website. Last year she auditioned for BARE with the haunting "Look at Me" from Violet and it landed her the lead!
  • KatMTKatMT College Rep Posts: 4,131 Senior Member
    The rights for Spring Awakening recently became available for colleges and universities to produce. It is strong contemporary material that is perfect for young performers. So, not too surprising that it is being done by so many university and college programs this coming year. :)
  • kksmom5kksmom5 Registered User Posts: 542 Member
    That makes sense KatMT . . . regarding the rights recently becoming available and then the domino effect thereafter. Oh yes, my daughter is very excited about the show - all of her friends seem to love it too. Not sure where it falls in the season line-up at Otterbein, so she may or may not be able to audition for it, but she's still excited about it.
This discussion has been closed.