Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Hi there! You may have noticed things have changed on this site. You can learn more about that here.

Catholic colleges with good MT programs

TripleThreat94TripleThreat94 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited March 2013 in Musical Theater Major
Which Catholic colleges have good MT programs, preferably a BFA? If not a Catholic college, then perhaps a college with an active Newman Center on campus?
Post edited by TripleThreat94 on

Replies to: Catholic colleges with good MT programs

• megpmommegpmom Registered User Posts: 3,114 Senior Member
    Catholic University in Washington DC has a good reputation, although it's not in a great area of town. There are also many performance/internship opportunities in DC.
  • EmsDadEmsDad Registered User Posts: 1,450 Senior Member
    Viterbo has a well-respected and competitive audition-based BFA program.
  • prodesseprodesse Registered User Posts: 1,244 Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure Catholic University's MT program is one of the few that graduates its students with Bachelor of Music rather than Bachelor of Fine Arts. That's about all I know, but it seems like an indication that music is a priority within their program. It has a good reputation.
  • KatMTKatMT College Rep Posts: 4,065 Senior Member
    Desales has a good program. I believe they are Catholic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC
  • glassharmonicaglassharmonica Registered User Posts: 3,144 Senior Member
    Yes, I never heard my about DeSalles on CC, but I have known some talented local students to go there.
  • NccpdadNccpdad Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    Oklahoma City University is not a Catholic college but it certainly has a Christian focus. It has an excellent BM MT program. The university is affiliated with the United Methodist Church. Oklahoma City University is also listed in a certain publication for "Best Christian Colleges" & "100 Best College Buys."
  • CTownMomCTownMom Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    Fordham in NYC!
    ^^^ Fordham has an excellent straight acting program and is a Catholic school, however, referencing the OP, it does not have an MT degree or minor program, nor do they do mainstage musical productions. They do hold a summer MT workshop.
  • austinmtmomaustinmtmom Registered User Posts: 2,356 Senior Member
    St. Edward's University offers a B.A. in Theatre with an MT specialization. It is an audition for scholarship program. I have seen numerous shows at St. Ed's and they have all been great. It's a small campus, located very close to the terrific SoCo area of Austin.
    Theater Arts Undergraduate Program | St. Edward's University in Austin, Texas
    ^^^ Aw, man, you told them about St. Edwards! We were kinda hoping that would remain a hidden gem and a great non-audition safety school. There goes the neighborhood (smile)...

Next thing you know, we won't be able to get a room at the Hotel San Jose.
  • soozievtsoozievt Registered User, ! Posts: 31,442 Senior Member
    There is also Belmont University in Nashville that has a BM in MT degree program.

Then there is Texas Christian University, which offers a BFA in MT and is in Forth Worth, TX.
  • austinmtmomaustinmtmom Registered User Posts: 2,356 Senior Member
    Sorry to spill the beans EmsDad lol!
  • megpmommegpmom Registered User Posts: 3,114 Senior Member
    Belmony and TCU aren't Catholic and I wouldn't consider Belmont particularly Catholic-friendly. Nice school, but very conservative Christian student body.
  • halflokumhalflokum Registered User Posts: 1,869 Senior Member
    I'd checkout Loyola (both LA and Chicago) and DePaul in Chicago. All are known to have strong acting programs and perhaps also have a track that would include MT related training.
  • connectionsconnections Registered User Posts: 1,327 Senior Member
    I only know about DeSales, which is certainly Catholic. My impression is that it's particularly strong in its straight acting ties with Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival. The ties are a great bonus for DeSales students who wish to intern with the Festival; as far as I know, only DeSales students are accepted as interns. Of course, that would be a great learning opportunity for the MT student as well, to hone his/her acting skills.
This discussion has been closed.