Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Final Decisions; BACKGROUND, Class of 2017

dg22894dg22894 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
edited January 2014 in Musical Theater Major
The Class of 2016 did this and it was super informative so:

It's still early, but there may be some ED and rolling admissions folks who have already made final decisions.

It's up to you how you post, but it's very helpful to the kids coming up if you state whichever of the following are relevant to you:

Applied to:
Accepted to:
Rejected from:
Waitlisted at:
Final Decision:

Then you can add a few sentences about how you (or your kid) reached a decision. I know we followed these kinds of threads very closely when my D was making her list, and now the Class of '13 can make the same kind of contribution for the years ahead.

Whenever someone is ready, start us off. There doesn't have to be any cumulative list for the posts, just your own status.

Thank you!
Post edited by dg22894 on

Replies to: Final Decisions; BACKGROUND, Class of 2017

  • theatermom2013theatermom2013 Registered User Posts: 202 Junior Member
    Can this thread include whether or not you used a coach or attended a summer program? Like a yes/no option for those two?
  • zonolozonolo Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Applied to: Hartt, Marymount Manhattan, Wagner, Royal Scottish Conservatoire, Pace, Rhode Island College, Urdang Academy (London)
    Accepted to: Marymount Manhattan, Wagner, RIC, Urdang Academy
    Rejected from: Pace, Hartt, Royal Conservatoire
    Waitlisted at: NA
    Final Decision: Urdang Academy (London)

    My son loved the program, loved the staff and loved the location (Ok, who wouldn't love London). Affordability...$17,500 tuition and we need to find accommodations and is over three years and not four for a BA. Agency representation final year, diversity of student population , very strong dance program, huge amount of employed graduates performing. It all just felt right.
  • zonolozonolo Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    My son attended no summer programs with the exception of a 3 day audition workshop with BAA in NYC last summer. The coach from BAA's workshop provided assistance throughout the process following with a couple of Skype sessions to go over song choice and monologues and was available by email but that was the extent of the "coaching".
  • theatremommatheatremomma Registered User Posts: 500 Member
    Applied to: Texas State, Michigan, Penn State, Otterbein, CMU, Oklahoma, UCI (non-audition) (passed all pre-screens)
    Accepted to: Texas State, UCI
    Rejected from: Cancelled all auditions after Texas State audition
    Waitlisted at: none
    Final Decision: Texas State

    We were lucky to get an early offer and, after visiting the campus, decided that the small friendly feel of the program was just what my son was looking for. The faculty made him feel like he belonged there. The new theatre building was a huge plus. I felt all through the process that in the end my son wanted a school that was easy to reach from Southern CA and it is a short non-stop flight to Austin. Location played a big part in the decision.

    We used Mary Anna Dennard and she really focused his college search and refined his monologue choices. Without her, I would have auditioned "everywhere" just to cover my bases. She helped make a list that made sense for him.
  • changingmtchangingmt Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Applied to: Hartt, Pace, Shenandoah, Wright State
    Accepted to: Hartt, Shenandoah, Wright State (Acting)
    Rejected from: Chose not to do final audition at PACE
    Waitlisted at: N/A
    Final Decision: Shenandoah

    D is a transfer student from a State College. Although she loved the school she wanted a different type of program. Shenandoah was her top choice, it just felt right. She did not audition for any BFA programs her first time around so this was all new to her but she had wonderful professors who have given her invaluable support and advice in preparing for her auditions.
  • PelkyAgainPelkyAgain Registered User Posts: 202 Junior Member
    Applied to: UArts, Rider, Michigan, CCM, Baldwin-Wallace, CMU, Pace, Emerson, Ithaca, BoCo, Juilliard, Texas State, Northwestern (non-audition), Muhlenberg (non-audition safety), Conservatoire of Scotland (walk-in) (passed all pre-screens)

    Accepted to: UArts, Rider, CCM, Conservatoire of Scotland, Michigan, Baldwin-Wallace, BoCo

    Rejected from: CMU, Juilliard, Pace, Northwestern

    Cancelled auditions: Emerson, Ithaca (cancelled after CCM acceptance), Texas (cancelled after Michigan acceptance), Muhlenberg (withdrew app)

    Waitlisted at: none

    Final Decision: Michigan! Go Blue!

    We loved Michigan ever since a visit during Junior year and it was always one of his top choices. Once he was accepted it seemed to be a no-brainer but Baldwin-Wallace became a close 2nd due to a strong connection with the faculty, program and high quality of talent he saw at their showcase last year. In the end he could not refuse the offer from the "Michigan Mafia" (lest he find a horse head in his bed) :). We may need to start bookmaking to cover the out of state tuition :).

    Coaching: Used MTCA which were very helpful with monologue, song and school selections. We probably wouldn't have even known about BW if not for them. Also, their college prep dance classes helped bring him from being a non-dancer to one of the better male dancers at many of his auditions.

    Summer Program: No summer prep programs but attended French Woods for many years.

    P.S. Can't believe we have to do this again in two years with our daughter who seems to be on the same path.
  • austinmtaustinmt Registered User Posts: 476 Member
    Applied to: Boston U (acting), Rider (acting and MT), Marymount Manhattan (BA w/MT emphasis), Muhlenberg, Roosevelt/CCPA (acting and MT), Wagner, Emerson (MT), TCU (BFA MT) and St. Mary's of Minnesota.

    Accepted to: Rider (BA theatre performance), Muhlenberg, Roosevelt/CCPA (BFA MT). St. Mary's.

    Waitlisted at: Wagner

    Rejected at: Boston, Emerson, TCU and Marymount.

    Final Decision: Roosevelt/CCPA (BFA MT voice emphasis)

    D's high school performed at ITF in Nebraska last summer (Spring Awakening: they premiered the high school edition!) and she did the auditions there. She learned about Roosevelt and St Mary's (not an audition program), OU and LSU through the call backs she got there. She loved everything about CCPA and Chicago when we visited. Muhlenberg was her second choice, a very different but lovely place with a great theatre department.

    Didn't use a coach but her private voice teacher is very knowledgeble, is going through the audition process for the second time with D2 and helped my D choose her songs. Her high school drama teacher helped her with her monologues.

    No summer prep programs.
  • austinmtaustinmt Registered User Posts: 476 Member
    To clarify, the auditions at ITF are just preliminary. She did her actual auditions at each school. St. Mary's and Muhlenberg are auditions for scholarship only, although at Muhlenberg they say a good audition also helps you with the admissions committee.
  • monkey13monkey13 Registered User Posts: 1,029 Senior Member
    So, I guess we should use something like this:

    Applied to:
    Accepted to:
    Rejected from:
    Waitlisted at:
    Final Decision:
    Summer Program(s):
    Why We made the decision we did:
  • shaun0203shaun0203 Registered User Posts: 360 Member
    Also, please remember to mention if you have a Son or Daughter (or if you are Male or Female if you are the student).
  • actsandsingsactsandsings Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Actsandsing's S...

    Applied to: Baylor, Texas Christian, UT Austin, Texas State San Marcos, Muhlenberg, University of Utah, University of Michigan, Ball State, Otterbein, Penn State, CMU, Syracuse, Hartt School, Elon, Ithaca

    Accepted to: Baylor, Texas Christian, UT Austin, Muhlenberg, University of Utah, Ball State, Hartt School, Ithaca

    Rejected from: Texas State San Marcos, University of Michigan, Otterbein, Penn State, CMU, Syracuse, Elon

    Waitlisted at: None

    Final Decision: Ball State (BFA MT)

    Coach: MTCA (worked with them September '12 - February '13). Absolute believe it was THE key to the options he was offered. We had no idea what we were doing and the monologue coaching, song selection and vocal training were all vital to his preparation. He had very little formal training in all areas - just a love for theater and six years of doing plays at school.

    Summer Program(s): Los Angeles community youth theater three week workshop in NYC Summer '12

    Why We made the decision we did: He agonized over the decision. Came down to Ithaca and Ball State. He both loved and disliked things about both schools almost evenly on a pro/con list. Ball State was less expensive due to scholarship amounts, but that wasn't the deciding factor. In the end, he would say he just had that "gut feeling" Ball State was the place for him. (From my perspective, I would have to say the students and faculty at Ball State were probably a HUGE factor in making him feel welcome and excited - they pursued and expressed interest in him from his first point of contact. Feeling wanted as opposed to a number goes a long way.)
  • mcpcwhitemcpcwhite Registered User Posts: 178 Junior Member
    mcpcwhite's S:

    Applied to: CCM, Emerson, Boston Conservatory, Rider, The Hartt School, Roosevelt, Point Park, University of the Arts, Shenandoah, Ohio Northern, Illinois Wesleyan, Viterbo, Missouri State University, University of South Dakota, Missouri Valley College, St. Mary's (non-audition BA)

    Accepted to: Boston Conservatory, Rider, Hartt, Roosevelt, Point Park, UofArts, Ohio Northern, Missouri State, University of South Dakota, Missouri Valley, St. Mary's

    Rejected from: CCM, Emerson, Shenandoah, Illinois Wesleyan (this last one was academic)

    Priority waitlisted at: Viterbo

    Coaching/summer sessions: Private voice lessons x 6 years; 2 years of dance (which was not enough!); acting workshops over last four years; private monologue coaching before audition season began
    Attended MT summer preparatory program at CCM

    For us, the private voice is what really paid off -- I think this might be especially true for boys whose voices change so dramatically in the teen years. Having someone who really knows the male voice made a huge difference in my son's confidence too.

    Final decision: POINT PARK!

    Background: We were careful to put together a balanced list that had at least one non-audition safety school for BA, knowing up front that the MT programs with high academic standards (Michigan, Elon, for example) would be out of reach for him. I would read these threads and marvel at theatre kids who also maintained very high GPAS -- my son has never been passionate about anything other than performing and the GPA reflected that.

    The audition season was really crazy for us as my son also chose not to do Unifieds, and I'm happy we had the resources to make it happen that way for him. This meant we made nine separate cross-country trips to audition on campus whenever possible (Point Park and Emerson were at regional auditions). In only one case were we truly frustrated in this process - Illinois Wesleyan had apparently not screened him academically in advance of inviting him to audition following a pre-screen; because his GPA is in 2.75 vicinity but with a strong ACT score, I even called ahead of time to verify he had been vetted....only to find AFTER we made the trip that he had a very high audition score but was rejected academically. This was very frustrating as we spent nearly $2000 on that particular trip. But this whole process was a learning experience and you have to take away what you can, I suppose....schools make mistakes. It's not a perfect process.

    Our biggest surprises were the schools with the BIG REPUTATIONS, which he found to be cold and impersonal. That turned him off to some programs he really thought he would fall in love with.

    It ended up being a tough decision for him, as he really felt drawn to both Roosevelt and Point Park. (They have in common that they are both urban campuses in thriving theatre communities.) Our visit to Roosevelt was a fun weekend overall, with a great friendly vibe and what really amounted to an on-the-spot acceptance for him in his audition. Naturally, he left there feeling very good. Because he auditioned in Atlanta for Point Park's program, we had to make a trip after his acceptance there - but in the audition he felt like he really connected with faculty and they made an excellent scholarship offer. In the end, it was our campus visit to Point Park last week that convinced him - it was just a perfect fit and we all knew it. There is a "vibe" that one should not ignore when making a decision like this. He knew he could see himself there in that community, among those students, with that faculty. I echo the sentiment above that feeling wanted is so very important.
  • jeffandannjeffandann Registered User Posts: 651 Member
    I don't see a reason to list schools where my D applied and was not accepted. But here are acceptances and final decision, as well as what I feel (and my feelings may not agree with hers!!) influenced her final decision:

    Accepted: Ball State for MT, Western Michigan for Acting

    Wait list: Ohio Northern (MT)

    Final Decision: Ball State

    I think it was a very difficult decision between Ball State and Western Mich. Both are very good schools, and we were very impressed with the faculty and theater students at both places. They were warm during the auditions, and you could tell they embrace each student and do all they can to provide individual attention and training. Each offered a lot of opportunities in different student and faculty directed shows. Each offered very good financial packages based on my D's academics. But what probably swung it in the end was that my D started this process wanting to get good training in all three disciplines and a degree in MT, and while I think she would have got it both places, the MT program at Ball State ensured she'd get private voice lessons with a faculty member for 4 years, and she felt she'd get more dance there. Plus it's an hour away, and she wanted to be close enough to come back easily and watch here little sister's performances (and tuition being a state school was less, which was a positive for dad!). But as I told her when she was deciding, she didn't have a bad decision to make. I'm very happy she chose Ball State as I think it's a great program, but I would have been equally happy if she had picked Western. For any that are preparing their school list, put both Ball and State Western Michigan on yours!
  • MTmama2013MTmama2013 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    MTmama2013's son:

    Applied to: Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, CCM, Ithaca, Hartt, Point Park, Coastal Carolina, Elon, Muhlenberg, Texas State, Rider, Otterbein, Pace

    Accepted to: Hartt, Point Park, Rider, Coastal Carolina, Michigan, Muhlenberg, Ithaca (BFA Acting, but auditioned for MT)

    Rejected from: CCM

    Waitlisted at: None

    Withdrew from consideration at Carnegie Mellon, Texas State, Pace, Elon, and Otterbein after receiving Michigan acceptance because it was his top choice, and he knew he was accepting there.

    Final Decision: Michigan :)

    Coach: Mary Anna Dennard was his coach. I knew nothing about the process of getting admitted for musical theatre other than the fact that it was highly competitive. I stumbled upon her book while trying to gear up for the process. This led to us contacting her, doing a Skype session, and having a few preliminay sessions with her early in his Sophomore summer/junior year - it was at her suggestion that he applied to MPulse which was by far one of the best things he ever did. When I look at the prescreens my son prepared for his college auditions as compared to the video audition he submitted to MPulse, the difference and amount of growth is staggering. (I almost can't believe he got in to MPulse in looking at those old auditions!) She was also instrumental in helping him with his monologues, and I don't know what kind of material we would have come up with on our own. Michigan was also not even on his list until she suggested it and he went to MPulse! She was helpful in reviewing his list, and helping him think through what he wanted, but utimately it was his own decision to take off some schools she had suggested for him (because he just had no interest/didn't like the location/etc.).

    Summer Program(s): MPulse Musical Theatre program at Michigan

    Why We made the decision we did: From the time he went to MPulse it was a done deal - if he was lucky enough to get into Michigan, that was where he wanted to be. He loved the program, the faculty, the Ann Arbor area and campus, and liked the idea of a big, full college experience as well - not to mention the training he received there over the summer was stellar, so he knew he'd be in good hands and learn a lot. His audition experience there only further solidified his feelings about the program (and made the wait for their answer that much harder!!) He is very strong academically, and so the fact that Michigan is a strong school in academics as well as in MT was a huge plus for him - if it had worked out differently, he would have been willing to go to a school that was not as academically strong, but I'm not sure how great a fit that would have been for him. Within days of receiving his acceptance he committed to Michigan and withdrew or declined everywhere else.
  • modg1234modg1234 Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    MODG1234's Daughter

    Applied: Texas State, Ball State, CCM and Viterbo

    Accepted: Texas State, Ball State, CCM

    Withdrew from Viterbo once she was accepted by Texas.

    Final Decision Texas State.

    Coach: None

    Summer program: She has done two camps at the 5th Avenue Theater in Seattle.

    Why she chose Texas: A friend of hers told her to check into Texas State last year. I looked at it first and really LIKED it for the price. Once she looked into Texas she decided that was the place for her. Throughout the process it stayed her top choice. She likes the location, although it is a little bit of distance from Washington State. The more she learned about Texas State, the more she wanted to go there. We feel very blessed.
This discussion has been closed.