Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What musical theatre schools should I look into?

Replies to: What musical theatre schools should I look into?

• JoyfulmamaJoyfulmama Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    @EmsDad even though your D is heading to college...Do not ever leave CC!! You always have great information that is already complied together and keep the dialogue realistic...
  • tarheelMTMatarheelMTMa Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    Is there really any money for NM commended students? I thought that was little more than a pat on the back.
  • mom4bwayboymom4bwayboy Registered User Posts: 1,663 Senior Member
    @tarheelMTMa - can't speak for other schools, but Wright State offers full ride - IS tuition - w/R&B to commended students. Schools considered "less difficult" to get into academically are often trying to attract more competitive students. This is often true for non-NM students who have other good stats. These schools will also generally give more "bang for the buck" when it comes to AP/IB credit. Many bright kids who eat, sleep and breathe singing, dancing, acting, playing instruments, composing/arranging music, doing sketch comedy, costume/set design, directing, choreographing, etc. may not have much time for academics that just get in the way of their preferred learning. There are many ways to learn all life, history, science has to offer. For some 19-year-olds, being in a college academic class is not the best method - or time in their lives - to gain that knowledge. The learning found in theater/Arts-related experiences can cover A LOT of what is NOT found in much of today's academic college classes. Just because a "gifted" student is not taking academic classes at a "most difficult" school, does not mean their learning is stagnated.

Dag, didn't mean to say that much. Anyway, NM commended students can do VERY well at some schools with MT programs. How's that?
  • toowonderfultoowonderful Registered User Posts: 3,896 Senior Member
    There is a fascinating thread on the featured threads list that pulled me in the other day. "How to deal with disappointment in your kid's college decision" (still in the sidebar to the left as I type this). While I have spent a TON of time on CC- very little has been anywhere but the MT/Theater forum - and this opened up a whole new (and amusing to me) world!
  • EmsDadEmsDad Registered User Posts: 1,470 Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    ^^^ @toowonderful: "Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel" (Greener's Law) has a corollary: "Never pick a fight with someone who has 16,455 CC posts."

That thread is pretty amazing: "Duck season" - "Wabbit season" - "Duck season" - "Wabbit season."
    edited May 2015
    Thanks a lot @toowonderful for luring me to the edge of that black hole - as a former NM finalist MSU grad married to an MSU grad - who was encouraged to apply for a Rhodes scholarship, but declined - I can only say, "Ouch" and "Wow". What was I thinking, "letting" all three of my Ss pursue degrees in the Arts? At schools we can afford, no less ("Lazy" NM semifinalist 2nd S was accepted to all "tippy-top-tier" Visual Art schools he applied to, but commutes to local art academy). A whole family of slackers. Now I can only think of "what COULD have been" and "what will never be". Dag. Is it too early to open a bottle of wine?
    edited May 2015
    @mom4bwayboy- just passing along the pain ;) after all, my kid turned down Northwestern too!

But in truth- the various viewpoints and "realities" are fascinating to me
    Not sure what some of the initials stand for what is NM student and what is R&B??
    edited May 2015
    NM = National Merit

R&B = Room and Board

Get ready to learn a whole new language: SSAR, EFC, NACAC, URM ...

SSAR = Self-reported Student Academic Record (enter your own transcript!)
    EFC = Expected Family Contribution (I am in denial and I always get this one wrong)
    NACAC = National Association For College Academic Counselors (the "May 1 Rule")
    URM = Under-represented Minority
    edited May 2015
    NM = National Merit; R&B = Room & Board (at least I THINK that's what it means. I "stole" it from someone else's post). Took me a LONG time to get down my "initial lingo". I still have to look up the common texting ones - or pretend I know what they mean (like R&B - Rabbits & Breakfast? Rhythm & Blues? Relax & Binge?. . . ). ;)
    @EmsDad & @mom4bwayboy Thank you!! I knew they would make sense but couldn't figure it out!! lol!!!
    Lots to learn...met with college office at high school and I knew much more than she did! Thanks in part to this forum!
  • CallieneCalliene Registered User Posts: 856 Member
    OMG, @toowonderful, my finger twitched on that thread, but I took Emsdad's advice..
    A wise plan @calliene
  • MomCaresMomCares Registered User Posts: 3,148 Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    @samantharae: the following schools have musical theatre programs with what I would call very good academic statistics for entering Freshman (a median 25/75 SAT above 1200, retention rate above 85 percent, and admit less than 50 percent of applicants). The dollar signs indicate relative cost for someone likely to receive merit aid and are based on out-of-state tuition if they are a public school (merit aid estimate is based on average non-need based merit grant per collegedata.com). The relative costs do not include need-based aid estimates, you can determine that by running the cost estimators for each school from their websites, as recommended by previous posts:

Northwestern University $$$$$
    Carnegie Mellon University $$$$$
    University of Southern California $$$$
    University of Michigan-Ann Arbor $$$$
    New York University $$$$
    I think CMU is an example of an MT program where the overall stats of the university are not at all relevant to the incoming MT class, true? For that reason it might not be as high on the list for kids seeking both stong MT training AND strong academics (I know it was low on D's list). Not sure if the same is true of USC's BFA?
    edited May 2015
    @MomCares - I believe that you are correct about CMU relaxing their typical admissions profile for acting and MT students. However, I am not completely sure of your point. "Strong Academics" to me refers to the overall situation at the campus and CMU certainly has an academically well-qualified student body. I am pretty sure that theatre classes at CMU are of a high academic caliber, despite the possibility that some theatre students may have a lower academic admissions profile than typical CMU classmates. It could be the case, however, that, on average, CMU theatre students have a higher academic profile, than say, theatre students at Northwestern (smile), despite the fact that, on occasion, they accept students who do not fit their typical admissions profile. Who knows?

Also, the question gets begged (assuming an overly-simplistic model of "smart" vs. "talented" students): "Are theatre performance courses of a more demanding nature with more intelligent or more talented students?"

Another question comes to mind, "Are outstanding theatre students with somewhat lower high school academic profiles any less academically able, especially in theatre courses, than students with higher overall high school academic profiles?"

D has a best friend who will be attending CMU next year in theatre, and she has a very high academic profile.
This discussion has been closed.