Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Creating a vocational safety net for musical theater majors

Replies to: Creating a vocational safety net for musical theater majors

• JoyfulmamaJoyfulmama Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    edited March 2015
    @MomCares thank you so much! I would love her to choose Northwestern, right now she is saying only eastcoast schools to be near home. I am trying to have her branch out. But right now looking at Muhlenberg, Fordham, American& possibly Connecticut College.
  • MomCaresMomCares Registered User Posts: 3,146 Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    The schools she's considering sound great, and I certainly understand geographic preferences! It might be fun for her to visit sometime, though, and also to get a taste of various theatres in and around Chicago. The city has a surprisingly vibrant, kind and productive theatre community.
  • collegehelpcollegehelp Registered User Posts: 6,582 Senior Member
    Thank you again for the great suggestions and insightful discussion. All of this will be shared with my niece's family. I see that others are finding the discussion helpful, too. This is sooo helpful!!
  • KatMTKatMT College Rep Posts: 4,110 Senior Member
    @joyfulmama in addition to the schools you listed she may want to look at the BA programs at Marymount Manhattan, Skidmore, and James Madison.
  • EmsDadEmsDad Registered User Posts: 1,468 Senior Member
    @joyfulmama another BA program at a good school located on the east coast is Christopher Newport.
    Thank you @EmsDad I will look into that!
    @KatMT Thanks!! MU is on our list to visit, Skidmore is just theater correct? And Marymount not challenging academics.
    @MomCares Yes after more discussion she is willing to go look at Northwestern, of course I will wait for weather to be nice:)
  • KatMTKatMT College Rep Posts: 4,110 Senior Member
    Skidmore is a Theatre degree... but they also have strong dance, and there are opportunities to participate in musicals.
  • MTVT2015MTVT2015 Registered User Posts: 275 Junior Member
    I applied to both BFA programs and liberal arts schools, and I'm seriously considering Brandeis and Sarah Lawrence. Brandeis has an MT track through the music major and the theatre department is really cool—you can double or even triple major!
  • onceuponamomonceuponamom Registered User Posts: 461 Member
    Business/accounting courses.
  • collegehelpcollegehelp Registered User Posts: 6,582 Senior Member
    Is Fredonia the best SUNY school for musical theater? How does it compare with the Crane School of Music at SUNY Potsdam? Any other SUNY school worth taking a look at for musical theater?
  • MTVT2015MTVT2015 Registered User Posts: 275 Junior Member
    SUNT Cortland has an MT program. Currently a BA but I heard from a current student that they are making it a BFA pretty soon!
  • bromquestbromquest Registered User Posts: 178 Junior Member
    SUNY Buffalo has an excellent MT BFA program (audition based) and I think SUNY New Paltz has a very strong BA in theater and you can get an MT concentration (audition in March after academic acceptance but I don't think there is a song or dance audition. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?)
  • MomCaresMomCares Registered User Posts: 3,146 Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    @MomCares Yes after more discussion she is willing to go look at Northwestern, of course I will wait for weather to be nice:)
    But tauntaun trainer on the ice planet Hoth is a great vocational safety net! Seriously, though, our kids are from the mild left coast and both have survived so far. And the east coast and Michigan aren't exactly known for balmy weather either. ;)
This discussion has been closed.