Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

NYU Tisch & Steinhardt.....numbers

Replies to: NYU Tisch & Steinhardt.....numbers

• alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 11,916 Senior Member
    Just a note, tramsmom, "Chris" at admissions is Chris Andersson who is the Director of Admissions for Tisch Drama.
  • mylovesmyloves Registered User Posts: 851 Member
    edited March 2015
    I heard 2000+ too--from the Admissions Director at Tisch.
  • soozievtsoozievt Registered User, ! Posts: 31,442 Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    Thank you for checking, alwaysamom. These numbers are in keeping with what has been reported in official ways for recent years and so I am glad it can be corrected here now too.

Someone posted that the odds for any studio at NYU are 20%. While the odds may be in that ballpark for an acting studio, they are lower for MT. Traditionally, the odds at Tisch for MT are more around 6%.
  • gingersnap97gingersnap97 Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    Are there any numbers for applications vs. offers for NYU Steinhardt?
  • BogeywBogeyw Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    edited March 2015
    Sorry...did not intend to provide misinformation....it was Chris Andersson @ Chicago Unifieds who I got the 1400 number from...could've been his error, could've been mine. Either way, I stand corrected, 2000+, it is then.
  • tramsmomtramsmom Registered User Posts: 460 Member
    edited March 2015
    @soozievt how is that you know MT acceptance is around 6%? I've heard that they ultimately accept in the neighborhood of 100 applicants to yield a class of 60. So I am wondering where you have heard those numbers since there is no breakdown among the applications for MT vs all Studios. We all know a portion of applicants specify MT only, but no one has ever cited those numbers. Nor have they cited the ratio of the applicants who will accept any studio who are ultimately offered NSB. If you have the actual numbers that would be helpful.
    edited March 2015
    @soozievt how is that you know MT acceptance is around 6%? I've heard that they ultimately accept in the neighborhood of 100 applicants to yield a class of 60. So I am wondering where you have heard those numbers since there is no breakdown among the applications for MT vs all Studios. We all know a portion of applicants specify MT only, but no one has ever cited those numbers. Nor have they cited the ratio of the applicants who will accept any studio who are ultimately offered NSB. If you have the actual numbers that would be helpful.

tramsmom, I cannot give you this year's data beyond what Chris Anderson stated as the overall numbers for Tisch Drama. However, in the past, administrators from Tisch posted here (not to mention what we were told on audition day and I wrote it down then too), that approximately 1000 of those who audition for Tisch audition for MT. Typically, there are approximately 60 freshmen in the MT studio. I don't know how many they accept to yield 60 (I don't think it is 100 and not sure where that number you gave came from). You don't have to specify MT only. The number one should use as total number applying for MT is those who audition for MT, even if Acting is their second choice, and not only applicants who are only willing to apply for MT. The number who do a singing/dancing/acting audition are those who are vying for the MT studio as their first choice. In the past, this number was approximately 1000.
    tramsmom, perhaps you may be interested in this thread from 2008. Yes, it is now 2015. However, I don't think these numbers have changed all that much at Tisch (including today's update from Chris Anderson!):

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nyu-tisch-mt/457977-number-of-freshmen-entering-tisch-in-acting-and-mt-each-year-p1.html
  • tramsmomtramsmom Registered User Posts: 460 Member
    I believe that back in 2008 Cap21 and Tisch were still connected. I have been told the school has changed by leaps and bounds since then. I know the economy has changed since, and dozens of new MT programs have sprung up all over the country since 2008. I don't want to get into another debate, but no, I don't find information about any MT program that is 7 years old very helpful.
    edited March 2015
    The number of freshmen in NSB for MT is about the same as it was in CAP21 (that is a fact). The number auditioning for Tisch is still 2000 as pointed out in writing today from Chris Anderson, from admissions at Tisch. So, those numbers themselves haven't changed since 2008. I don't think it is far fetched that the number who are vying for MT hasn't changed much from the approx. 1000 it was before either. I don't believe the change in the economy has changed the number who apply to NYU or to Tisch. Their numbers haven't changed in that regard. In terms of the fact that more MT programs have sprung up, I don't think Tisch's numbers are down. I'm basing my post on a bunch of factual information and not speculation.

Also, while Tisch may have changed its MT program, the numbers are what we are discussing and those haven't changed.
  • mylovesmyloves Registered User Posts: 851 Member
    While the number of MT programs has increased, the number of people auditioning has also gone up, spread out over all of these schools.
  • uskoolfishuskoolfish Registered User Posts: 2,895 Senior Member
    @gingersnap97 Can't remember how many applied the year D was accepted to NYU Steinhart MT- (Class of 2012)-it was told to us, but don't want to quote a figure I don't have written down. Though this was a number of years ago, I believe that they are keeping the program to about 24 students. The year D applied they had an incredible yield. Her class began with 35 students. We were told that only two students did not enroll and another was on a medical leave and eventually withdrew. So based on that, I would be comfortable saying that Steinhardt accepts approximately 40 to yield approximately 24.
    ^^ I meant don't know how many applied to the program. 38 were accepted with a yield of 35.
  • gingersnap97gingersnap97 Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    @uskoolfish Thanks for sharing the info you have. We knew the numbers accepted were to yield a class of around 24, but we have never been able to figure out the number who apply to Steinhardt or how many they might accept to get their yield. .
    D's year was an exception though. They did not expect a class as big as her's since they normally have more than 3 students decline a spot. And the funny thing is we know one of the two students who declined. He was the Beast to D's Beauty in their HS show.
This discussion has been closed.