Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Early to the party. --HS Freshman

Replies to: Early to the party. --HS Freshman

• MT4LifeMT4Life Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    Sam Houston State U. - I can't remember the girl's name, but Kelly O'Hara's replacement in Light in the Piazza was a SHSU grad, and did a lovely job!
  • EmsDadEmsDad Registered User Posts: 1,468 Senior Member
    ^^^ Katie Rose Clarke - how could I forget Sam Houston!
  • MT4LifeMT4Life Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    edited March 2015
    That's the one! Thanks, @EmsDad !
    And, Dallas is actually closer than I thought to SHSU, so well within your geographical preferences.
  • Notmath1Notmath1 Registered User Posts: 454 Member
    Saw Katie Clarke on Broadway. She was a natural in the role
  • mom2MTgalmom2MTgal Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    again, thank you all!! I will broaden our search to those programs listed.

I feel like I should be saying "her" search instead of "our" search, but really, who am I kidding???
  • KaMaMomKaMaMom Registered User Posts: 893 Member
    edited March 2015
    @mom2MTgal .... no shade from me if you want to say "our" and "we"!

This really is a team process!

;)
  • GSOMTMomGSOMTMom Registered User Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    I always say you have NO shame in saying "we"! The entire family is part of this process so declare "we" proudly and boldly!!!
  • toowonderfultoowonderful Registered User Posts: 3,876 Senior Member
    I agree- this is a family effort. It will be "her" actual audition, but it is absolutely "your" process!
  • EmsDadEmsDad Registered User Posts: 1,468 Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    I forgot another school: the University of Tulsa. Non-auditioned BA MT program at a very good university (students do audition for scholarships).
  • jeffandannjeffandann Registered User Posts: 669 Member
    I note you say you'll need a lot of scholarship $$. So here's my best advice: grades. Make sure your D does really well in school academically. That will put her in good position to get a lot more $$ for school than her talent will.
  • vvnstarvvnstar Registered User Posts: 1,589 Senior Member
    Also, if possible, take piano. That will be very helpful in music based classes.
  • toowonderfultoowonderful Registered User Posts: 3,876 Senior Member
    Every piece of advice being offered is great, and valuable- here is one more, don't get overwhelmed and feel like you HAVE to do every one of these things to give your kid a shot in 4 years. As your OP says- you are already "early to the party" and ahead of the game as you are thinking and planning now. Don't feel like you have to make this the focus of your entire world - relax and enjoy life too!
  • Dusing2Dusing2 Registered User Posts: 287 Junior Member
    Since you are in the Dallas area, I would get Mary Anna Dennard's book "I Got In". Read it cover to cover along with your daughter now. Mary Anna is based in Dallas so I would go ahead and set up an appointment for an in-person consultation with her now. She could help you plan the next few years. She knows everyone in your area and will keep you informed of all workshops in the area. It is not too early to begin those.
  • GSOMTMomGSOMTMom Registered User Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    SCOOP! Ms. Dennard is working on a book geared toward the younger high school student with a projected publish date of August 2015.
  • mom2MTgalmom2MTgal Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    @GSOMTMom‌ - that is great to hear! We have both actually read "I Got In" and loved it. I wondered if it was too soon to contact a coach. @Dusing2‌, thanks for saying it might not be. :). I planned to set up a meeting with her next year, but timing may work out to meet up this spring instead.

I feel like several of you are saying that in most cases, it's worth the investment to hire a coach, right?

What an amazing wealth of information this board is. Thank you all for being so welcoming and helpful.
This discussion has been closed.