right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Broadway's Big 10: Top Colleges Currently Represented on Currently Running Shows

Replies to: Broadway's Big 10: Top Colleges Currently Represented on Currently Running Shows

• DVCmemberDVCmember 71 replies15 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    My daughter has AMDA on her list but I constantly see negative reviews about it....but nice to see students on this list that graduated from there. When reading their website, it does seem like it would be the perfect fit for what she wants. Thoughts?
    · Reply · Share
  • toowonderfultoowonderful 4077 replies68 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @monkey13 - I am talking about Sean. D did a batch of shows with him when she was younger. If I am correct (and to be honest, I didn't pay strict attention) he left Ithaca after freshman year for a job, returned for a bit, and then left again. Again- no certainty, but he did not graduate to the best of my knowledge
    · Reply · Share
  • broadway95broadway95 717 replies25 threadsRegistered User Member
    @DVCmember I too have heard the negative stuff about AMDA. My daughter has two friends who graduated from AMDA. One did some regional theatre then decided to travel and do cruise ships. The other has done a year or so of regional theatre and is now on a National Tour. Both of them flourished at AMDA and it was the perfect fit for them.
    · Reply · Share
    @broadway95 do you know if they did the 2 yr program or the 4 yr on both coasts?
    · Reply · Share
  • broadway95broadway95 717 replies25 threadsRegistered User Member
    @DVCmember they both did the 2 year program
    · Reply · Share
  • CollegemomCollegemom 1571 replies338 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Question: How did this get that little fire icon? I always wonder about those.

Members, nor moderators, have the ability to add the fire icon (which I think may mean "hot topic"). Only a forum administrator can do that. I am not sure the criteria. Certainly in this case, I noticed it was marked a hot topic before much discussion got underway. I now notice it is a featured thread on the MT Forum and on the general discussion forum. Again, moderators are not able to feature threads. Only forum administrators. CC's forum administrators must pick topics that they think will be of interest to many members that they wish to feature. The forum administrators are not regular MT observers. But in their view, they apparently think it is a topic to feature.
    · Reply · Share
    @vvnstar - I think looking at % in most aspects of the theater world is enough to make mommy reach for a cocktail! :))
    · Reply · Share
  • soozievtsoozievt 31396 replies371 threadsRegistered User, ! Senior Member
    The list Playbill posted is totally fluid. Just a snapshot of this point in time. I certainly wouldn't use it as a barometer in evaluating a college program. I'd want to know what many of their grads were doing, and not just who is on Broadway on this date in time. In any case, it is nice to see and know of classmates doing so well, and not just on Broadway. I get excited every time a kid I know gets cast in these professional shows and other professional gigs.
    · Reply · Share
  • circuitridercircuitrider 3367 replies168 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @halflokum
    I'm sort of bummed that the article made it to the hot topic designation for the sake of this forum because it just shouldn't have. @collegemom, is there any process by which the "flames" could be extinguished as this one truly is silly and not serving this community all that well.

It's certainly generated a lot of heat! :)
    · Reply · Share
  • vvnstarvvnstar 1713 replies22 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @halflokum - I apologize if my information is not entirely accurate. But I don't think I'm that far off. This is what was told us when searching for schools 2 years ago - that there were approximately 60 - 80 kids per studio. Multiply by 7 and that is somewhere between 420 and 560. And we need to account for any students from Steinhardt also. There is no separation of Tisch and Steinhardt for this specific list. I have searched the internet this morning for more concrete data - but have been unable to find any. Nonetheless - the actual numbers should not be the main focus. My point was the number of people in NYU's theater programs is greater than at most schools. I tried very hard to make it clear that this in no way insinuates anything negative about NYU at all. The training is awesome. But as I said, the sheer number of students and its location mean they will most likely have an advantage in the numbers of alums they have on Broadway. I was not being critical of NYU whatsoever and trie to make that very clear.

Likewise, I agreed that although the information is interesting, it really does not define whether a program is successful or not. As I've said over and over again, there are many paths to success and Broadway is just one of them. But I don't see any issue with people being interested in the information or that it is a "hot topic". As you know, this is a question that comes up over and over again on CC. I am assuming this is why it has been designated a hot topic. So this is just one person's attempt to try and answer that question. Playbill is considered a fairly reputable trustworthy source in the industry. So people will be interested in what they have to say. By ignoring it, we are not going to change people's interest in the topic. Look at it this way - by having a discussion about it on CC, at least now you can voice your opinions on the list and let people know you don't feel it tells them anything. Otherwise, they might see the list elsewhere and take it as gospel.

So I'll repeat, all the schools on this list are good. But as I started my initial post - don't fret if schools you are interested in aren't on this list. There are many, many out there that provide excellent training. Find what suits you best. On that I think we can agree.
    · Reply · Share
    I don't know of any Tisch studio that takes more than 60, and many take less. I believe my D's freshman class in Adler had around 50, there were 4 "groups" of 12 (there may have been one or two more in groups), my D was in a group of 12 each semester, as she is 1st semester this year. Not trying to contradict vvnstar- just adding info. I would agree with halflokum that the Tisch freshman class as a whole (including writers and tech) is closer to 300 than 500.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheaterHiringCoTheaterHiringCo 159 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    No matter how you cut it, this is a strong list. These are most of the top names in MT College Programs.

That being said - I still think AMDA is the wrong choice for 99% of actors, and believe they take money from young kids not ready or skilled enough to be in the city without a real college degree.

I do think NYU deserves to be on any Top 10/15 list, but the concerns regarding numbers are real and valid.
    · Reply · Share
    @TheaterHiringCo , could I find out why you believe that about AMDA? It's on my daughters list of places she would like to apply, but I've heard negative things about it, but no real explanations of why.
    · Reply · Share
  • vvnstarvvnstar 1713 replies22 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Again, I apologize if my numbers are not entirely accurate. But I think the correct number is probably in between what you and I are guessing. I told you where my numbers came from.

I will repeat: The point is not the actual number but the fact that NYU (Tisch and Steinhardt combined) have many more theater majors than most schools on the list. That is all that was meant. I continue to say ....It's a great school. They have a lot of talented students which translate into a lot of talented people on Broadway which is what is reflected on the list in question. Let's please move on.
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 2015
    In terms of accuracy for others reading the thread, based on many things I have read and know about, the size of the class in Tisch Drama (this includes acting, MT, dramatic writing, and tech) is 375, not 500. I think when my kid was there, it was approximately 358 in all of Tisch Drama per year. The size of the MT class is 60, but not all the other studios are as large as NSB. If you eliminate tech and dramatic writing, the acting/MT class size is approximately 300. I realize that NYU has more actors graduating than many programs. When it comes to MT, BOCO also has a lot of graduates.

In my D's Tisch cohort, of the ones who have been on Broadway or are on Broadway now, most were cast AFTER graduating, not while in school. Yes, going to NYU helps in forging NYC networking at an early stage, no pun intended. But the location doesn't mean they are auditioning while in school much (very hard to do that while at Tisch).
    edited August 2015
    · Reply · Share
    I agree with all you wrote @monkey13 !

Also, even if someone is successful in their career (however you define success), it is hard to ascertain if that is truly due to the education/training they received at X college. I mean, one could argue that the most renown schools attract and accept a very talented pool of students and so it makes sense those students may do well when they graduate and it is not ALL due to the training they got at X college.

As well, I am a firm believer that it is the person who succeeds and not due to the school from where he/she graduated. You can be a success coming from any college.
    · Reply · Share
  • uskoolfishuskoolfish 2905 replies50 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    And it's not just talent. It's whether your type and skill level match what is needed for the role. Those may or may not have been a focus of your training at school.

NYU Steinhardt does not focus on dance, but some of their graduates needed superb dance skills to get the roles they have on Broadway. They may have natural dance talent, they may have come to NYU already having dance training, they may have taken additional dance training while at NYU or upon graduation they may have worked hard to get better. But graduates of Steinhardt are not leaving the school ready for a lead in On the Town or in most dance ensembles as a result of their NYU dance classes. And some of the women cast on Broadway were trained by classically oriented voice teachers, but yet the roles they have require them to belt--a skill not really focused on at Steinhardt, too.

So ultimately it comes down to whether your talents/ type match a role (regardless of how you got them) and whether there are realistically enough roles out there that match your talents or type.
    · Reply · Share