right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Broadway's Big 10: Top Colleges Currently Represented on Currently Running Shows

Replies to: Broadway's Big 10: Top Colleges Currently Represented on Currently Running Shows

• MomCaresMomCares 3058 replies90 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Oops... I thought Maddy was on the 1st national tour. :) Congrats to your D, @CTDramaMom - that must have been a fun experience!!
    · Reply · Share
  • CTDramaMomCTDramaMom 465 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    Maddy was on the first tour as well, just not as Mary. She's totally lovely, as was Steffi. And yes, my daughter was very lucky to have had that experience.
    · Reply · Share
  • theaterworktheaterwork 1311 replies191 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    @addicted2MT I know where you were going with your post, just pointing out that it is does actually happen to have leads from other colleges and that Univ of Michigan graduates are not always the lead but ensemble too, etc.
    it's hard because every MT kid , at least initially, thinks they need to go to CMU , UM, CCM etc and the parents think this too. All we do is sit around and question our sanity of even letting our child pursue such a hard field to begin with and then as soon as our kid says "oh yes I want to go to school for MT" we do the infamous Google search for good MT colleges and there they are...the ones we need to get our kid into...but oh wait... we couldn't afford some of them even if he/she were to get in. So...we look for other schools and research and look for great training elsewhere and just hope that it all works out.
    edited March 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • addicted2MTaddicted2MT 533 replies6 threadsRegistered User Member
    @theaterwork - YES. Exactly!
    · Reply · Share
  • choirsandstageschoirsandstages 691 replies6 threadsRegistered User Member
    There's a Michigan grad in the ensemble of Waitress, and I have seen him do lead roles at a big-name regional theater--I was pretty darned impressed to see he was in Waitress (also it's a very small ensemble). I think he's a 2014 grad.
    · Reply · Share
  • lojosmolojosmo 697 replies10 threadsRegistered User Member
    @choirsandstages He is a 2014 grad. He was in Wicked which he booked right out of school.
    · Reply · Share
    @lojosmo My D was apprentice stage manager on one of his shows (regional theatre). She was super thrilled to see him in a promo clip from Waitress. ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • mom4bwayboymom4bwayboy 1667 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Book of Mormon came to town. Cast alma maters included "the usual suspects" and the "not-so-usual". Most of the leads listed past credits rather than a school.

Elder Cunningham: BFA U of South Dakota (Standby thanked OBU - Oklahoma Baptist??, YAG, SMTI)
    Nabulungi : attended Belmont
    Elder McKinley: BFA Wichita State
    Dance Captain/Swing: BW grad
    Female Swings: AMDA X2
    Male Swings: BM VP NYU Steinhart; NYU Tisch New Studio on Broadway, U of Oklahoma & Florida State grad
    Female Ensemble: BFA Indiana U
    Male Ensemble: BFA Penn State, BFA Shenandoah, BFA CCM X3, BA North Central College, BW, BFA Otterbein, BFA U Mich, BA LINGUISTICS U of Arizona > MFA Actors Studio Drama School NYC
    · Reply · Share
  • soozievtsoozievt 31386 replies371 threadsRegistered User, ! Senior Member
    ^^^A good friend of my daughter's is the standby for Elder Price on the tour, but isn't represented in your list above. But maybe there is more than one tour out of BOM. He is on the First National Tour. He is a graduate (BA) from Yale.
    · Reply · Share
    @soozievt - neither Elder Price, nor his standby listed a school. First name of standby starts with Z. The second standby for Elder Cunningham also did not list a school. Not sure which national tour this is.
    · Reply · Share
    Yeah, maybe it is not the same tour and there is more than one? Friend's name who is standby for Elder Price begins with M.
    · Reply · Share
  • luisenluisen 28 replies8 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @choirsandstages @lojosmo His name is Ryan Vasquez. He has huge potential, I was overwhelmed by his interpretation at 54below. He has a lot of future on Broadway, he is going to be a star for sure.
    · Reply · Share
    Awesome @luisen ... Loved him as Tony in WSS!!
    · Reply · Share
  • lojosmolojosmo 697 replies10 threadsRegistered User Member
    @luisen I know him well :)
    · Reply · Share
    ^^Kudos to your son, @ManVan! I love BOM!
    · Reply · Share
  • MTmom2015MTmom2015 536 replies9 threadsRegistered User Member
    Cool! We're seeing BOM in June!
    · Reply · Share
  • CallieneCalliene 837 replies19 threadsRegistered User Member
    One of my daughter's friends from Montclair got hired for the BOM tour straight out of school last year. Is it the same one as your son, @ManVan?
    · Reply · Share
    I was hoping you'd pop up on this one @ManVan. It's a terrific show and the boys were awesome!
    · Reply · Share
  • ManVanManVan 99 replies18 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    The young man from Montclair is on the other tour (1st National/West Coast.) My son is on the 2nd National/East Coast tour (The one that started out located in Chicago.)
    · Reply · Share