Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which Unified Location Did You Prefer?

Replies to: Which Unified Location Did You Prefer?

• EmsDadEmsDad Registered User Posts: 1,473 Senior Member
    @Notmath1 - my d absolutely felt more pressure doing live prescreens than digital ones, especially since she felt the level of competition at Moonifieds was relatively high. While she passed almost all of her video prescreens, she did not pass many live prescreens at Moonifieds, even though some of the video prescreens that she passed were for schools that are generally regarded as more difficult for artistic admission than the ones that she did not pass at Moonifieds. However, I can easily see where some students would thrive on live prescreens and fail to deliver as good a performance in front of a camera. So, your-mileage-may-vary.

I personally believe that individual odds may be lower at Moonfieds due to the level of competition and human nature, i.e., my theory is that when the audition pool is of a generally high quality, those auditioning will be held to a higher standard than they might be in a less competitive pool. However, this may be a really weak theory.
  • ourturn2ourturn2 Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    We attended Moonifieds this year and loved it but we did not do any live prescreens there. We only did final audition schools and for us, that worked really well. One thing to consider is that Moonifieds doesn't happen until right before Thanksgiving and for a type A planner like me, that was a long time to wait to see if D would pass and then try to get audition dates scheduled. We did her prescreens early so by the time we got to Moonifieds, we already knew the outcomes for all of them and had them scheduled. For example, otterbein and penn st were doing live prescreens at Moonifieds but we did our actual auditions for both of those on campus in December and I don't think we would have been able to schedule those if we had waited. We had what I would consider awesome results from those early auditions and I would highly recommend it. D made an awesome group of new friends, decided to change one of her songs based on early feedback, and ended up with several acceptances before Christmas. All of the kids there are talented, well- prepared, dressed well, etc. but since we were warned in advance by @EmsDad and the rest of the cc crew, we expected it and didn't find it any more stressful than any other audition and my D actually preferred the atmosphere because they keep the parents out of the way and re-arrange times if a school gets ahead or behind so it took a lot of pressure off her. Moo and her crew are so well organized and the whole thing runs like clockwork that we wished she'd take over unifieds too!
  • mtmamma2020mtmamma2020 Registered User Posts: 608 Member
    i wholeheartedly agree with @EmsDad - and I add to the fact that many kids greatly improve their audition work between November (Moonifieds) and February (Chicago) -- mine had far better results out of Unifieds. I agree also that the competition in Texas was far greater compared to what my D heard in Chicago. As for the in person vs video prescreen -- that is a very personal question but I think both have advantages/disadvantages.
  • Ducky312Ducky312 Registered User Posts: 290 Junior Member
    @mtmamma2020 why did you think the competition was greater at moonifieds? Was it just because they weren't that experienced? I'm helping someone in the process for 2022. We didn't use a coach per se and we only did on campus auditions and video prescreens in our process last year.
  • vvnstarvvnstar Registered User Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    All the students at Moonifieds have had the benefit of coaching - help with their monologue and song selections, as well as their in room audition skills. I think this makes the competition stiffer there. At the larger Unified locations you get a much larger pool of applicants - some of whom are not so well prepared. And with the larger applicant pool comes a wider range of skill levels.
  • EmsDadEmsDad Registered User Posts: 1,473 Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    Just like what you see in sports, I believe that the level of talent and training tends to be generally higher among students with coaches because (a) they have been already been coached for many years in voice and acting, and hiring an audition coach is just another step in that process; and (b) their parents supported that training because the students have talent and experienced some success in theatre performance. This certainly does not hold true for every student who hires a coach, but from what I saw at Moonifieds and learned from chatting with other parents, most of the students had pretty extensive theatre backgrounds. You could certainly see the relatively high level of training in the dance call, at least the year my d went.

I definitely don't believe that it is a necessity to hire a coach nor do I believe that a majority of talented and well-trained kids hire coaches.
  • Notmath1Notmath1 Registered User Posts: 494 Member
    @EmsDad and anyone else, what about live vs digital prescreen. Is there a preference?
  • laylamomlaylamom Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    Can you participate in Moonifieds if you are not in Mary Anna's crew ? We are with MTCA?
    @laylamom I believe you need to purchase her video training set as a minimum to go to Moonifieds...plus there is a fee to go.
  • toowonderfultoowonderful Registered User Posts: 3,939 Senior Member
    Doesn't MTCA do a (or some) private auditions for their students as well? I thought I had read that in connection to BW - which does not attend unifieds, but does go to Moonifieds, and I thought something with MTCA too (there was a post here earlier about how Vicky Bussert had leave before things were finished.....)
  • heliobikeheliobike Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    I think in terms of live vs video prescreens: there is a feeling among some people that judging students based on a film clip when they are auditioning for a program that's all about live performing - can seem a little odd. My son had similar results with both though, in terms of "passing" them: passed two of his live prescreens (Tex St and Penn St), did not pass two others (BW and Otterbein). And then passed two of his video prescreens (Syracuse and Michigan) and did not pass one other (Ithaca).

The one advantage of a video is that you can shoot it over and over until you get the results you want. The exhausted parent in me liked live prescreens - and all of my son's were at Moonifieds - because it was one less thing to do, complete, submit, etc.

One other comment about Moonifieds and early auditions that has been said other places: I do think my son was better prepared for the February auditions than he was at Moonifieds. And we thought he was pretty darn prepared in November at Moonifieds! But he's just grown and developed more in the last two months than we've expected. BUT, he had great results and some acceptances from Moonifieds - so it all worked out fine. I'm just seeing a better, more confident auditioner now than I saw in November.
  • MomofMTBoyMomofMTBoy Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    BW had Dec. 10th in NYC reserved for MTCA students only
    I agree with you @heliobike completely. My D had good results from Moonifieds, she was absolutely prepared -- and everyone has to start somewhere but in hindsight she got more relaxed and comfortable with the process by February. I wish we had kept some Moonified schools for later in the season as she clearly had better results then.
  • MomofMTBoyMomofMTBoy Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    mtmamma2020, I totally agree. We didn't do moonifieds, but my S's first 3 auditions were his roughest. He was given some amazing re-directs in those first three auditions though that really changed his approach for the better. For kids who are coached to an inch of their life or who are just naturally comfortable with the audition process, it probably doesn't matter much, but for kids going into this a bit blind, or a bit more nervous, it is definitely a good idea to save some top choices for later and use those early auditions as an expensive learning tool.
  • Notmath1Notmath1 Registered User Posts: 494 Member
    It sounds like you might think of Moonifieds (or the MTCA early audition for BW) as an excellent opportunity for a "warmup" before Unifieds?
    As far as the preference for live vs digital prescreens, it seems split among those who are posting here in terms of results. I agree about introducing yourself in digital medium for a performing arts program. Seems like it would be really not helpful to evaluators. That is why I might tend to prefer the live prescreen option, where offered. Students also have the advantage of "prescreening" the college reps!
This discussion has been closed.