Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Western Kentucky?

brightstaralbrightstaral Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
I know Western Kentucky is a 2nd yr audition school. Does anyone have anymore info about their program? Anyone have a child there?

Replies to: Western Kentucky?

• vvnstarvvnstar Registered User Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    We have a friend who graduated from there last year. She has found work with several different theaters around the country since graduating. I also believe the girl who is the lead in Paramour - the Cirque show currently on Broadway, is a Western Kentucky grad. We have another friend who was a dance major and he is currently on a cruise contract. I think it is possible to double major there if that is of interest. In general it is a nice size school. Bowling Green is a nice community, very close to Nashville. They have a well respected journalism school. A good honors college.
  • KentmtmomKentmtmom Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    My D is admitted and because you audition your Soph year it's really her back up. The campus is very clean and everyone very friendly. We know several in the Theatre (pre BFA and BFA) program and all of them are happy. Of those going there (that we know) one got in the MT program at CCM and chose WKU. I think it's a great school and very good program its just the 2nd year audition freaks us out a little bit
  • EmsDadEmsDad Registered User Posts: 1,473 Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    Send a PM to @LoveMyMTGirl - her daughter attends WKU for MT.

Here are some comments that she has posted:
    My daughter was accepted to 2 programs and waitlisted at 2 programs, yet decided to attend Western Kentucky University which has an audition for the BFA after the 3rd semester. She decided to attend this school because she fell in love with the school and the program. She is beyond happy with her choice. This is a viable option for all those that have not had success with auditioned programs. If you would like more detailed information about the program, please send me a PM.
    My daughter attends Western Kentucky University. I would be happy to answer any questions that you have. She is home for the summer so I can get the answer straight from her. The program at WKU is audition later as you probably are aware. My daughter is going into her sophomore year and will audition af the end of her next semester. She had 2 juries in her freshman year at the end of each semester. The first jury was a "get to know you" jury and the second jury was performance based where she received feedback. Her schedule is similar to what others have posted with 1 to 2 gen eds per semester. She loves the school and she can't wait to go back.
    My daughter is a freshman at Western Kentucky University and absolutely loves it. She auditions for the BFA at the end of her 3rd semester. The first 3 semesters she is classified as "seeking admission" to the BFA and takes all MT related classes with a few required gen ed classes. She also wanted the "traditional" college experience. WKU is an hour north of Nashville.
    My daughter will audition for the BFA program at Western Kentucky in a few weeks. This is not a re-audition as mentioned above, but will be her first official audition for the program. She has had 2 juries at the end of her first 2 semesters; the 1st one was a "get to know you" jury where she was interviewed by a panel of professors on what her interests were; the 2nd jury was a performance jury where she received feedback on what she needed to work on for her BFA admission audition. It has been a very positive experience for her and she feels very supported by the professors. I'll know more in a few weeks and will report back. However, when I ask her about the number of students in her class auditioning for the MT BFA she has no idea. She may have a better idea once the next semester starts.

There is a lengthy post from her here: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/18817237#Comment_18817237
  • LoveMyMTGirlLoveMyMTGirl Registered User Posts: 405 Member
    It has been a long time since I have checked CC. My daughter does attend WKU and is a junior. She still loves it there and has had fantastic growth as a performer. If you are worried about the audition later program, I would not be. Basically, if the student is working hard they are accepted. My daughter's freshman class was huge with about 40 kids. As a junior it is now down to about 15. Getting accepted to the program is hard work, and the majority of the students don't want to work that hard or find that they want to major in something else. For the most part, it is the students themselves that make the decision not to pursue the BFA. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    Thanks @LoveMyMTGirl this is one of our three in the running. We have 2 more schools to hear from but WKU is top 3 for sure!
  • AlexaMTAlexaMT Registered User Posts: 621 Member
    edited March 2017
    Just realized something so I wanted to share. I know one of the musical theatre voice professors at Western Kentucky (she studied with my voice teachers) and have worked with her privately numerous times; I still do when she visits NYC. Her name is Amelia Rollings and she is absolutely PHENOMENAL. Seriously. I'd re-get my BFA at WKU to spend 4 years studying with her. ;) Absolutely in love.

I couldn't tell you much more about the program, but can vouch for the vocal training just from that.
  • LoveMyMTGirlLoveMyMTGirl Registered User Posts: 405 Member
    @AlexaMT Amelia is my daughter's voice teacher. She absolutely LOVES her.
  • AlexaMTAlexaMT Registered User Posts: 621 Member
    ^She's the best. And an amazing human being! Jealous of your D :)
    WKU is my D's second choice at this point. It is in State so much less expensive. We visited this past week and it was good visit and the program seems strong. ANy outside opinions are great and welcome. Just worried about getting stuck in Kentucky....
  • vvnstarvvnstar Registered User Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    The girl who had the lead in Paramour On Broadway was a Western grad. Another fellow who Was a dance major has worked for one of the cruise lines and Another girl has been at Big Fork with leads last summer and this upcoming summer. @LovemyMTgirl 's D I think really likes it and could tell you more. It is a nice size campus. Bowling Green is a nice town and Nashville is close.
This discussion has been closed.