Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Utah acceptances?

Replies to: Utah acceptances?

• stageman181stageman181 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    @bfamtdad Most classes start off from 25-30 but by junior year they are 15-18ish
  • CATenorMomCATenorMom Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    @stageman181 I'm not sure what you mean when you say "now it probably won't happen for a while." Are you talking about not having a NYC showcase, not having anyone from NYC visit campus? Do you know what connections the U has with NYC agents?
    @CATenorMom We have never had an NYC showcase and Utah never will, the program director doesn't believe in them (and frankly she doesn't believe in giving kids any opportunities period). This whole tara rubin thing is a Workshop that was paid for by a grant we applied for, so no NYC casting directors/agents do not come to the school regularly. The program has zero connections with NYC agents, you are on your own.
  • Walker1194Walker1194 Registered User Posts: 1,005 Senior Member
    You sound pretty bitter @stageman181. No one hands you anything in this biz. Get cracking and make your own opportunities. The school isn't the only place to work.
    @Walker1194 As someone who is 12 points away from their equity card, I'm fully aware
    Then you're obviously getting something out of the program! Yay for you!
    @Walker1194 Hm, no I'm getting something from the private lessons from NYC teachers I had to go seek out (as you said, making my opportunities). Wouldn't it have been nice to have learned something from the teachers who I was already paying $20,000 a year to teach me?
    Well, it seems like you are doing great. Might be time to just quit the program and move to NYC since you're so close to getting your card and all of your connections are there. Seems like a legit move.
  • toowonderfultoowonderful Registered User Posts: 3,940 Senior Member
    @stageman181 - Ummmmm if you don't feel like you are getting value out of your program, and kept paying for it..... that's on you......
  • Jkellynh17Jkellynh17 Registered User Posts: 2,012 Senior Member
    Oh c'mon, I think everybody gets frustrated from time to time with what their program offers and what it allows/forbids them to do outside. @stageman181, don't know what year you are, but if it's junior or above, wouldn't it make sense to stick it out and get the diploma? It sounds like you'll do fine when you get out, but there's a big difference in the survival job world between having a college degree and not.
    ^^^^^
  • toowonderfultoowonderful Registered User Posts: 3,940 Senior Member
    Oh I agree that getting a degree is important- I just don't like to see someone running something down that they are choosing to be a part of.
    Well @toowonderful like I tell all prospective students, the first 2 years are good, and when you hit junior year and start working with the program director, everyone realizes the mistake they made and it's too late to get out, and then everyone is miserable for a year and a half because like jkelly said, at that point its about getting the degree and getting out ASAP.
    It's funny what he has said in his other posts about how great the program is. Sounds like sour grapes to me. You're also a senior and not a junior. Own it.
  • owensfolksowensfolks Registered User Posts: 658 Member
    As a parent whose D is considering this program, it would be helpful if we got back on track re its merits; or constructive commentary of its opportunities for improvement/growth.
This discussion has been closed.