right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Standardizing college theatre / musical theatre auditions

Replies to: Standardizing college theatre / musical theatre auditions

• NewJeffCTNewJeffCT 174 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    Interesting - CMU is regarded as a top school in other fields, like engineering, but it's interesting that it's not required for MT.
    · Reply · Share
  • NewJeffCTNewJeffCT 174 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    Just curious here - my daughter is finishing up her freshman year of high school. What is the cost for these auditions coaches?
    · Reply · Share
    @sopranomtmom Congrats on her getting into the Hartt School. I live about 10-12 minutes from there, depending on traffic. The faculty I've met there have been very caring and passionate about their students. Best of luck to her. If MT means Montana, she will at least be able to handle the New England winters without a problem.

My daughter takes vocal lessons through the Hartt Community Division, but is determined to not be close to home when she goes off to college. ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • theatremom10theatremom10 181 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 184 Junior Member
    @NewJeffCT Hi! I'll send you a message with some information about coaches. We used MTCA for my son this year. Very pleased with them as they were extremely helpful in the audition process
    · Reply · Share
  • theatremom10theatremom10 181 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 184 Junior Member
    @NewJeffCT I can't send you a message. You can google MTCA (Ellen Lettrich) They have a website and you can contact them through there.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks @theatremom10 - did my account get demoted? I've received PMs/DMs before on here.
    · Reply · Share
  • sopranomtmomsopranomtmom 459 replies13 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 472 Member
    @NewJeffCT Thank you, my daughter is thrilled to be heading to Hartt. She loved the faculty she met and the intense conservatory program. Oh and we are actually from California (MT = Musical Theatre) so the winters will be a new experience! Like your daughter, mine was determined not to stick close to home. But I may be bending your ear with lots of questions as it gets closer to her move-in day. Hope you don't mind!!
    · Reply · Share
    @sopranomtmom No problem on the questions. I can't really help you much on campus/dorm life, though. West Hartford itself is a very nice small city/large town with a lot of great options for food, shopping and entertainment.
    · Reply · Share
  • midwestmtmamamidwestmtmama 4 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi Everyone. Long time lurker, but I've only posted a few times. I've been reading these boards since my daughter was in 8th grade and she will start her junior year in the fall. As my name implies, we are from the midwest and I've often wondered if there are any solid college audition coaching services in the Chicago area? It seems like there is a strong market around here, and we would certainly be willing to drive there for a few in person sessions with a coach. So, midwest friends, if you know of any services please let me know. Otherwise, it will be mostly all skype for us (which I know is a great option, but a few in-person opportunities would be nice).
    · Reply · Share
  • vvnstarvvnstar 1711 replies22 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,733 Senior Member
    You might check with both Mary Anna Dennard and MTCA. I know they both use coaches from various regions depending on need. For example, although our D worked directly with Mary Anna (who was in Dallas) for her monologues, her song coach was in NYC. They may have people they work with in your area. Worth asking!
    · Reply · Share
  • midwestmtmamamidwestmtmama 4 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Great idea. Thanks for the suggestion!
    · Reply · Share
  • Notmath1Notmath1 550 replies35 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 585 Member
    Glad @CoachC is here to respond. My info was a family from years back.
    If you have a moment to respond again it would be very interesting to get your opinion on these two questions:
    What is your feeling about the original poster topic of streamlining the audition requirements?
    and Do you think it was the competitiveness of the applicant pool that spurred the growth of coaches, or the coaches making the talent more competitive/prepared? Which came first in your view?
    Thanks for taking the time here on CC!
    · Reply · Share
  • KTVoiceKTVoice 194 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    If I read / counted correctly.. 9 students who were coached by Mary Anna Dennard got into Michigan...

That is seriously impressive.
    · Reply · Share
  • bisouubisouu 2408 replies145 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,553 Senior Member
    It brings up the question, which came first the chicken or the egg...where these kids already UM ready or did she create that?
    · Reply · Share
  • GSOMTMomGSOMTMom 1702 replies13 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,715 Senior Member
    edited May 2017
    @KTVoice, if you are looking at Mary Anna's website, that is from the 2014 season onward. The results are no less impressive but those are not the results from a single season.
    edited May 2017
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity