Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

LAMDA U.K. Drama vs.uncsa

Replies to: LAMDA U.K. Drama vs.uncsa

• bfahopefulbfahopeful Registered User Posts: 1,113 Senior Member
    Can't go wrong with either school. Just FYI the director at LAMDA will tell you UNCSA is the top training most similar to U.K. training that you can get in the USA.
    Both are fabulous and have similar curriculum.

good problem to have with these two choices!
    edited April 2017
    @mommajing after re-reading your original post i realized i didn't give you an answer to your question about connections post graduation in the above post.

As for connections after graduation UNCSA has TONS of connections. Not only do kids do showcases in both LA and NYC but they bring agents, directors, managers to campus consistently during senior year to meet the senior drama students. There have been kids signed before showcase in the past. This year out of the girls showcased in NYC all but one got offers of representation. Not sure about the boys or LA results. They tell you they usually have the majority of kids signed prior to graduation. They are honest that it doesn't mean a guarantee of success though.

I will say UNCSA has grads working consistently on tv, in film, on and off Broadway, on tours and in regional theaters. Some have started their own theater companies. i was pleasantly surprised at how many actively work not only shortly after graduation but long term.

They encourage kids to spend a summer in NYC before graduation. They have connections to help get summer jobs at agencies or related placements. Much of the faculty have worked on/off Broadway, done tours/regional theater, lived in NYC, etc. Their reach is far.
    We know an agent who recommended UNCSA over a couple other top schools in the USA to a prospective student making a decision. It has a good rep in the industry.

If you have questions feel free to message me. Again, LAMDA is also amazing and I don't think you can make a wrong choice here. I happen to know more about UNCSA, but hold LAMDA in high regard and they also have alum working everywhere!

Congratulations.
  • connectionsconnections Registered User Posts: 1,327 Senior Member
    @ThespDad17, just pm'd you.
    edited April 2017
    And I second @connections that UNCSA is cheaper. Off campus housing near UNCSA can be less than $400 a month. Cheap cost of living.

London cost of living is very high. The student we Know accepted to LAMDA was told to budget $55k per year. Additionally I don't think LAMDA gives scholarships and UNCSA does for some students. So it probably is cheaper -or at least not more expensive- despite the 4th year (vs 3 at LAMDA).

But LAMDA is awesome and Winston Salem is NOT London! ;)

• sbcsbc Registered User Posts: 240 Junior Member
    I am a bit confused. Does UNCSA offer a MT degree? Does LAMDA offer one? I thought I saw that RCS offered one but did not see a program at UNSCA and have not checked LAMDA.
    edited April 2017
    @sbc you are correct neither school has a true MT program. This probably should be over on the drama forum.
  • vvnstarvvnstar Registered User Posts: 1,729 Senior Member
    There are a lot of future MTs who look at both of these programs. Graduates from both programs do find success in both straight acting and musicals If these programs are of interest to you but you want to study MT, it would be important to be aware of what training and curriculum each program providesI. But it is an interesting discussion for us all to hear!
  • connectionsconnections Registered User Posts: 1,327 Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    @sbc, Juilliard, UNCSA, and most UK conservatories (except for RCS) do not train MT separately from straight acting. They view it as training the 'whole actor.' LAMDA trains for acting on stage, acting on film, voiceovers/radio, and MT. MT is viewed more as straight acting with singing, so a subset of acting on stage. For MT, they do private/semi-private voice lessons, singing, dance. They have at least one MT performance per year. However, it is not targeted to MT as many BFA MT programs are, particularly in dance training (e.g. no ballet, tap etc).
  • sbcsbc Registered User Posts: 240 Junior Member
    Thank you @connections,@vvnstar,@bfahopeful, they all look fabulous just wondered how if worked if you did want to train for MT.
  • mommajingmommajing Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    Well I am a real person and not big on social media such as these ... but after surgery I was bored and thought what the heck.... sometimes something to think about comes out of a random thought. Just because I haven't posted in more than 2 years - I don't live and die by my phone or any advice. Sorry to disappoint
    Hello--- not sure how to pm within this program?
    On vacation andnfigured no comments after a few days so stopped looking?"
    Thespdad17..... have no idea or the other parent who has a son (3rd) year at LAMDA to personally get in touch with you? Please give me directions?
    Where is the pm located.... not kidding about using devices all the time
    Will check tomorrow morning Saturday April 21?
    Thanks!! Not sure when anyone tried to pm where that is located?
    Bfahopeful- more info please on your connections with knowing about agents prior to
    Graduation? Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.