right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

A Modest Proposal......

2»

Replies to: A Modest Proposal......

• bisouubisouu 2408 replies145 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,553 Senior Member
    Why would the schools at the top have to go away?
    · Reply · Share
  • EmsDadEmsDad 1496 replies13 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,509 Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    My guess is that in a combined forum, the list of schools would have to encompass popular programs in one or more of the three disciplines, and would increase in size probably far beyond what CC would like to see. For example, for Acting, you would begin by adding schools like Chapman, CalArts, Julliard, SUNY Purchase, UNCSA, Rutgers, Boston U, Minnesota/Guthrie, Depaul, etc., etc. The numbers build pretty quickly.

Then, of course, you would have to designate programs by discipline, i.e., BOCO-MT, Julliard-Acting, CMU-Acting/MT/Tech, etc. It would get much harder to navigate through the mass of programs to find what you are interested in.
    edited April 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • CallieneCalliene 837 replies19 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 856 Member
    These threads are under "college majors" on CC. If tech is the major, it should have its own thread, even if it's lonely. Everyone is free to visit the other threads.
    · Reply · Share
  • EmsDadEmsDad 1496 replies13 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,509 Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Something else to think about: the MT forum has about 3-4 times the activity of the Theatre forum going by the numbers shown for "Threads" and "Replies." This means the content of each page will be approximately 75 percent MT and 25 percent Theatre. Theatre folk will have to sort through a lot more pages if they are not interested in MT. MTers will have to sift through 33 percent more "stuff" if they are not interested in Theatre.

It may actually work out worse for Theatre people than just having to sift through 3 times more stuff, because the more active MT threads will be cycling back to the top more often, so, Theatre threads may rarely stay on the first page for very long. It would be an interesting simulation to see how this would play out...
    edited April 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • theaterworktheaterwork 1309 replies191 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,500 Senior Member
    @halflokum lol. I am energetic! :))
    · Reply · Share
  • toowonderfultoowonderful 4077 replies68 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,145 Senior Member
    @EmsDad - fascinating!
    · Reply · Share
  • soozievtsoozievt 31372 replies371 discussionsRegistered User, ! Posts: 31,743 Senior Member
    Actually, the data does not go back to the start of CC. When I joined CC in 2002, 15 years ago, there was no MT or Theater/Drama forum (or any college major forums). There was a VERY long MT catch-all thread and a VERY long Acting catch-all thread. These were broken down into parts (like Part 1, 2, 3 etc. as they got so long). After a while, a separate forum was made for MT and also for Theater/Drama (and more college major forums have been added over time). This REALLY helped because in a big catch-all thread on MT, for example, so many topics arose and you could not really look things up. It is my opinion that the MT forum on CC is the BEST resource on the internet for those looking to pursue a MT major. :D

As far as the original discussion here on whether or not to combine the MT and Drama major forums......both the current option and the proposed option have their merits. However, one big plus, IMO, to the way it is now, is that it breaks things down into more specific topics, by separating the majors. Sure there are overlapping subtopics within both of these majors. And some are even applying to both majors. But by combining both forums, while not nearly as extreme as the original catch-all threads for these majors on CC, it moves back away from the usefulness of the specific topics inherent in each forum. Truly, one can read and participate on both.
    · Reply · Share
  • mtmamma2020mtmamma2020 589 replies19 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 608 Member
    Ok that shocked me!!!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity