Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Class of 2022 (the journey); sharing, venting, discussing

artskidsartskids Registered User Posts: 903 Member
edited May 31 in Musical Theater Major
It's close enough to June 1! Let's get started!

I have a D - rising senior. She is my third child to embark on the college BFA (MT/Acting) jounrney. She is interested in a mix of MT and Acting schools. Her strengths are singing, acting, dancing, instrument (in that order). Her list is 65% complete - although she needs to land her BA safety schools. She will be spending the summer in Carnegie's pre-college drama program. We are still debating how much we will need/use the services of a coach; I suspect we will make those final decisions when she returns from Carnegie.

Best of luck to my fellow organizer/sherpa/therapist parents!

Replies to: Class of 2022 (the journey); sharing, venting, discussing

• artskidsartskids Registered User Posts: 903 Member
    @speezagmom my senior is a S at BW. Feel free to reach out once your S returns!
  • IfYouOnlyKnewIfYouOnlyKnew Registered User Posts: 362 Member
    @speezagmom my S did MTO a couple years ago and has a friend doing it this year. Let me know if you have any MTO questions or want to connect with his friend before it starts.
  • speezagmomspeezagmom Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    Hi All, I know I've seen some posting on Unifieds in the past and the differences between Chicago and NY. I had always thought we would do Chicago as it is a shorter flight for us and the fact that it is 4 days long made me think that it would be a bit more relaxed and possibly with more schools attending. However! I looked at the dates posted last night and see that the Chicago dates are Monday - Thursday while the NY and LA dates are on weekends. I hate to miss basically an entire week of school when we may need to miss other days for onsite auditions. Has anyone attended both Chicago and NY? Perspective on if all schools on the unifieds site are at both? Can you really cram in as many auditions in the shorter timeframe? Thanks!
  • toowonderfultoowonderful Registered User Posts: 3,510 Senior Member
    @speezagmom - many of the not "official" unifieds schools were in Chicago the weekend before - my D did 3 auditions before actual unified started :) She then finished Monday/Tuesday - missing only 2 days of school for her and work for me.
  • MTDadandProudMTDadandProud Registered User Posts: 356 Member
    edited June 1
    It depends on your location. Chicago in the middle of the country so its "relatively convenient". The best thing about Chicago IMHO is that it has the most schools in attendance (in official Unifieds or just there). But yes, it is a lot of school to miss. But then, all these kids miss a ton of school to audition. My kid's counselor and HS admin did not really understand this process!
  • artskidsartskids Registered User Posts: 903 Member
    @speezagmom My D missed 3 days of school for Chicago Unifieds 2 years ago. You can certainly try to schedule all auditions in one or two days (and some schools will also have dance calls on Sunday). My D's year, 3 of her classmates attended NY and Chicago Unifieds. We did not find it necessary to attend both. I struggle with my D missing 3-4 class days for Chicago (plus days she may need to miss for on-site auditions). My S did one audition at NY Unifieds 4 years ago (we were in NY for another audition - so added Ithaca). From my limited observation, it seemed more harried than Chicago.
  • LBSMOMLBSMOM Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    @owensfolks I can't wait to see where your D ends up next year!
  • owensfolksowensfolks Registered User Posts: 475 Member
    @LBSMOM ME TOO!!!!!! :))