Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Do online auditions ever produce acceptances?

carriemc95carriemc95 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
I'm spending a crazy amount of time looking at the requirements of the schools my daughter has expressed interest in, and some schools have a line that say, "Although it is recommended that you audition in person, either on campus or at Unifieds, we will consider online audition submissions through Acceptd." Has anyone ever done this and had success? (I'm specifically thinking of West Coast schools as we are in the southeast.)

Replies to: Do online auditions ever produce acceptances?

• CanadianMTgirlCanadianMTgirl Registered User Posts: 244 Junior Member
    I think it happens--but rarely. I attend Viterbo University, and the year that I auditioned (Jan 2014) was the year of the polar vortex. All flights out of the Midwest were grounded, and so though I got to audition at NY Unifieds, it wasn't for faculty--it was only for an alum of the program who was meant to be working the desk. On her recommendation, and on the strength of my pre-screen video, I was put on the waitlist and ultimately accepted in late April. In hindsight, I consider my prescreen to be a "video audition" (although I had a lot of help, and you had better believe I wrote that alum a nice card!).
  • Notmath1Notmath1 Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    I think this is a great thread and am curious to see what everyone says
  • stagedoormamastagedoormama Registered User Posts: 673 Member
    My D was accepted to UArts BFA MT via video audition. She did not choose to attend, but was very pleased to be accepted via video and with a decent scholarship.
  • vvnstarvvnstar Registered User Posts: 1,589 Senior Member
    Yes it can happen. But I think the odds are probably less favorable than an in-person audition. I would not recommend it for your top choice schools. But it can be a way to audition for schools you could otherwise not audition for due to distance, cost or time. There can be an advantage -- you can tape and re-tape until you are happy with your performance, unlike the in person audition where you get one shot.
  • emdcollegeemdcollege Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    My daughter was accepted to U of Tampa and Millikan BFA with video auditions. She also received very high merit money at Columbia College and Muhlenberg with video auditions.
    Did any schools do a follow up Skype interview before making the offer like they do at Tisch?
  • MTMOM17MTMOM17 Registered User Posts: 369 Member
    My D got into Florida Southern College BFA MT program by video submission, with a scholarship. My D ultimately chose another school.

I know a girl who got into Marymount via video submission. She's going there in the fall despite never visiting the school.
  • jbrideaujbrideau Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    My daughter was accepted to Marymount Manhattan with a scholarship via video submission - this was 2 years ago. She chose to attend another school.
  • Jjrmom8Jjrmom8 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    D was accepted via video audition to U of Memphis BFA MT but ultimately did not choose that school.
  • Mel2421Mel2421 Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
    D was accepted into a MT BFA program off a video audition last year. She did not chose that school but it does happen,
    Maybe I am old fashion but it seems surprising to me that they make offers without even an online interview.
  • jessieburnettjessieburnett Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    Yes, I was accepted to 2 BFA programs through video auditions. It's a good option for a school that isn't your tops choice, but one that you're still interested in that you would like to keep in your back pocket.
  • GapyearguruGapyearguru Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    My D was accepted to Hartt via video audition last year, but chose to not attend.
  • SAS0792SAS0792 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    My D was accepted to LIU via video. they asked for a Skype follow up interview first. She actually got a really nice scholarship as well. She ended up going elsewhere but had a great experience with LIU.
  • songbird17songbird17 Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    This info. is really good to know because looking at how many schools my S will have to audition at, there are not enough weekends or unified time slots. We are just starting to look at Fall/Winter commitments and schools he wants to apply to. Without some video auditions, not sure how auditioning for 14-20 colleges is feasible!