Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Veteran Parents...First Summer Experience Recommendations After MT Freshman Year?

loribelleloribelle Registered User Posts: 334 Member
For those with students already in MT programs, what options do you suggest they explore for their freshman summer? I know there have been some posts on this before, but I cannot find recent ones. My D is open to consider both top-level training or summer stock performing, even if only for a short-term stint, but especially if it will give her good resume building experience and opportunities for networking. Making money is not the priority but don't want an expensive program either. She is already a strong singer/dancer, so (I think) she could be a candidate for ensemble summer stock. Looking for good experiences your student has had and/or where to probably cross off the list. I know about A1 Unifieds and StrawHats, but what other national auditions/programs would you suggest? She is open to location, but anything on the West Coast would be a bonus. If you even want to point me to old discussions, that is fine. TIA!

Replies to: Veteran Parents...First Summer Experience Recommendations After MT Freshman Year?

• duxellenduxellen Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    My daughter is a MT junior. Just applied to A1 - hopefully will pass the prescreen! A1 is supposedly surpassing Strawhats from what I have been told by people in the know. My daughter didn’t have a great experience at Strawhats last year. Try local theaters- google summer stock links on this site for more info. Very competitive, to say the least!!The audition madness continues!!
  • CMB625CMB625 Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    @loribelle, My daughter is a MT sophomore and attended (after passing prescreen for her state) SETC last Spring. She was blessed to get a few callbacks at SETC for summer work and also found the conference to be an excellent learning experience. One of her callbacks was from a theatre group in MA where she applied to and was accepted to an intern program. Although we had to pay for her to attend, it was SO worth the $. She was in 2 shows, was an understudy for an equity show (earning equity points), attended many masters classes, and overall had the time of her life. One of her friends attended SETC also and had a summer job at Hershey Park which she loved. I highly recommend attending one of the summer stock audition conferences as a freshman, if nothing else for the experience of it. Also as @duxellen said, google summer stock and look at all the opportunities available. Something else we looked at were summer camps where they hire counselors to lead the campers in theatre, dance etc. Some places start taking applications as early as December. Good luck!
  • duxellenduxellen Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    Hello, would you mind telling me where your daughter interned in Mass. last summer? It kind of sounds similar to The Williamsburg Theater Festival in the Berkshires?? I was researching that last night, and although it’s pricy, looks like you can get college credit, possible equity points, and make lots of valuable connections.
  • CMB625CMB625 Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    @duxellen , I sent you a message.
  • jeffandannjeffandann Registered User Posts: 671 Member
    My daughter spent a month in Germany training with Music Theater Bavaria. It was a great experience for her and she learned a ton.
  • MI3rdClosingActMI3rdClosingAct Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    @vvnstar What's BDC Professional?
  • vvnstarvvnstar Registered User Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    @MI3rdClosingAct Broadway Dance Center in NYC (BDC) has training programs in the summer. and throughout the year You must find your own housing. But schedules are somewhat flexible which did allow for a job in between classes to help cover some of the cost.
  • MI3rdClosingActMI3rdClosingAct Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    @vvnstar Great Thank you very much
  • CaMom13CaMom13 Registered User Posts: 1,190 Senior Member
    Thanks, @Troykat - very helpful. We are in S. Cal and I would love to have my D stay close to home for summers since she is in NYC during the school year. This info will help! ;)
  • MTDadandProudMTDadandProud Registered User Posts: 441 Member
    For what its worth, and I am sure many students experiences are different, my son says he will not do A-1s again this year as he was very disappointed in it. He had a blast but he said it was marketed as only being a couple hundred auditionees and ended up being close to 1000. He also said many of the theatres they were told would be there were only there the first day or two and then left and didn't see a good majority of the kids.
  • janne006janne006 Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
  • janne006janne006 Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    Each student has his or her own journey, but I can tell you a little about my daughter's experience. I think summer is a good opportunity for student's to build their resumes. For some students, they can get show credits through summer stock -- as company members, apprentices, interns. Summer stock can be great performance and general theater experience. Another way to build a resume is through training programs as you mentioned. When my daughter was a senior, she was looking for year-round work -- having a resume with good professional credits and solid training really helps. Getting EMC points while still in school if possible is also beneficial. At my daughter's school, the students are encouraged to drop educational credits from their resumes as they gain professional credits (again this will vary). When students audition for professional work, most everything comes down to the actual audition (so audition experience is crucial), but a professional resume can also speak volumes. However, summer is also a good opportunity to earn much needed money (or take a much needed break), so students might choose shorter show or training commitments. to allow them to earn money to help with college expenses. It's wonderful to have a performance job or contract upon graduation,, but many of those early jobs come with small salaries or stipends. It's important for students to have a good handle on their finances. It's all a balancing act!
  • KkrazieKkrazie Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    edited March 15
    Parents with older MT kids what do you think of internships vs. summer stock? Internship in & related to musical theater. My D really likes to use her summers to earn spending cash & summer stock pay isn’t that great. Which theaters pay better &/or provide housing? Do you find that out after the fact if lucky enough to get cast out of A1 or Strawhat auditions? Internships are starting to pay more & more. But still pay not terrific pay. Thoughts???