right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

LIU Post MT - Questions

bestdaysbestdays 8 replies3 threads New Member
Hi everyone! My daughter was recently accepted to LIU Post for MT. They awarded a very nice scholarship, so she is seriously considering the school. Any recent input from students or parents of students who attend LIU Post for MT would be greatly appreciated. I see they have had some financial challenges, which is very concerning. Any input into this would also be helpful
27 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: LIU Post MT - Questions

• afterp89afterp89 380 replies2 threads Member
    @bestdays I'd suggest having your daughter join the Facebook page specifically for students (no parents!) that are auditioning called Courtney's Break Room. Lots of feedback from kids who are now freshmen and sophomores - including some enthusiastic members of the LIU MT program. My D was also accepted and offered a generous scholarship and is seriously considering heading there.
    · Reply · Share
  • bestdaysbestdays 8 replies3 threads New Member
    @afterp89 Thank you for the tip. I will ask her to join. Good luck to your D in her search and decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • CaMom13CaMom13 2104 replies14 threads Senior Member
    edited January 2019
    @bestdays You might also want to connect with some parents of current students. I don't have any first hand knowledge of the program but some of last years' parents were complaining about the condition of the dorm rooms, facility and food service. LIU-Post has a lot of local/commuter students so resident students may have more complaints than average. I have heard only good things about the MT training but the school itself may have some problems you'd want to consider before deciding.
    edited January 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • speezagmomspeezagmom 410 replies1 threads Member
    edited January 2019
    I would recommend that you visit the school if at all possible. Have your daughter attend a couple of classes and see the place first hand. You will know pretty quickly if it feels right or not.
    edited January 2019
    · Reply · Share
    @CaMom13 Thank you. These are some of the things I've read that also have me concerned. Any idea how to connect with parents of current students there?
    · Reply · Share
  • CaMom13CaMom13 2104 replies14 threads Senior Member
    @bestdays - You might want to post a bit more here and get your post count above 15 so other people can send you private messages. There are a couple of LIU parents on our class of 22 board and hopefully one or more will reach out to you.
    · Reply · Share
    @CaMom13 Thank you for your help!
    · Reply · Share
  • actorparent1actorparent1 811 replies6 threads Member
    I think @NewEngMTMom has a daughter at LIU Post - hoping she sees this thread!
    · Reply · Share
    @NewEngMTMom I can't thank you enough for your honest, detailed response. This is so helpful. My daughter did receive a very nice scholarship, so there is no way we cannot seriously consider LIU Post. However, I am very concerned about some things I am reading...esp. the food and mold situations. I need to know that she is healthy and safe wherever she chooses to go to school. My other concern is about their financial situation. I need to know that their program is stable and they have the money to invest in upgrades that are needed. She has several other auditions, so we are in a bit of a holding pattern right now. However, we do plan to visit the school sometime in February. I don't know how to private message (new to this site). But at some point in the decision making process it would be wonderful for her to be able to speak with your daughter. Thank you again!!
    · Reply · Share
    @mtmaybe Thank you so much for taking the time to post the pros and cons. This really helps a lot. We are planning to visit the school sometime in February, so we will definitely try to see the show! I may reach out again with more questions in the future. Thanks again!!
    · Reply · Share
  • mtmaybemtmaybe 84 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @bestdays Of course!
    · Reply · Share
    @mtmaybe I do have another question, if you don't mind. Do you know if it is possible to minor in another subject if you are in the BFA MT program? Do you know of anyone who is doing this? My daughter is interested in possibly minoring in business or marketing. Thank you so much!
    · Reply · Share
  • mtmaybemtmaybe 84 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @bestdays It is! We actually do currently have a freshman minoring in marketing.
    · Reply · Share
    Great to know! Thank you!!
    · Reply · Share
  • mommaofdramamommaofdrama 43 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I also have a Freshman daughter at LIU. It is a very Acting focused program. Freshman don't audition for the musical the first year so that they can focus on the training. There is one musical a year. There is room in the curriculum for one dance class a semester, however they are allowed to audit a class they have already taken.

She loves her Voice teacher (we pay for an extra half hour each week and she's very accommodating)

She also loves her Acting teachers and her current dance teacher (who is also the head of the department)

One drawback is that there is no Music Theory or keyboarding offered unless you minor in music (which my daughter is going to try to do)

She is in the Honors College and has been happy with the classes she's taken.

What was said about the condition of the school is correct, but it's still better than another school which we visited on Stanton Island. And I have hopes that things will improve. Starting this year they are an All D1 sports school. Maybe that's good for them financially???

It's also true that the school is not that organized, which is frustrating at times. But she loves the department and that is what matters.

It takes a while to figure out how to get around but it's not really that bad. The shuttle takes them to the train station and the mall. The kids are very busy so there's not a lot of time to go into the city but this fall she went 3 times.

Overall I think it's been a very positive experience so far.
    · Reply · Share
  • NYKarenNYKaren 195 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @mommaofdrama, Staten Island? (Wagner College, I'm assuming). Yes, their dorms are very run down.
    · Reply · Share
  • mommaofdramamommaofdrama 43 replies1 threads Junior Member
    @NYKaren I was so turned off I didn't even bother going inside the dorm on the tour. The bathroom adjacent to the parent meeting was filthy and I couldn't believe they wouldn't have it nice for the visiting parents. Everything behind the counter in the cafeteria was dirty too especially the floors. As nice as the people seemed there in my mind it was a no from me.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity