Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

LIU Post MT - Questions

bestdaysbestdays Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
Hi everyone! My daughter was recently accepted to LIU Post for MT. They awarded a very nice scholarship, so she is seriously considering the school. Any recent input from students or parents of students who attend LIU Post for MT would be greatly appreciated. I see they have had some financial challenges, which is very concerning. Any input into this would also be helpful

Replies to: LIU Post MT - Questions

• afterp89afterp89 Registered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    @bestdays I'd suggest having your daughter join the Facebook page specifically for students (no parents!) that are auditioning called Courtney's Break Room. Lots of feedback from kids who are now freshmen and sophomores - including some enthusiastic members of the LIU MT program. My D was also accepted and offered a generous scholarship and is seriously considering heading there.
  • bestdaysbestdays Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    @afterp89 Thank you for the tip. I will ask her to join. Good luck to your D in her search and decision.
  • CaMom13CaMom13 Registered User Posts: 985 Member
    edited January 12
    @bestdays You might also want to connect with some parents of current students. I don't have any first hand knowledge of the program but some of last years' parents were complaining about the condition of the dorm rooms, facility and food service. LIU-Post has a lot of local/commuter students so resident students may have more complaints than average. I have heard only good things about the MT training but the school itself may have some problems you'd want to consider before deciding.
  • speezagmomspeezagmom Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    edited January 12
    I would recommend that you visit the school if at all possible. Have your daughter attend a couple of classes and see the place first hand. You will know pretty quickly if it feels right or not.
    @CaMom13 Thank you. These are some of the things I've read that also have me concerned. Any idea how to connect with parents of current students there?
  • CaMom13CaMom13 Registered User Posts: 985 Member
    @bestdays - You might want to post a bit more here and get your post count above 15 so other people can send you private messages. There are a couple of LIU parents on our class of 22 board and hopefully one or more will reach out to you.
    @CaMom13 Thank you for your help!
  • actorparent1actorparent1 Registered User Posts: 650 Member
    I think @NewEngMTMom has a daughter at LIU Post - hoping she sees this thread!
    @NewEngMTMom I can't thank you enough for your honest, detailed response. This is so helpful. My daughter did receive a very nice scholarship, so there is no way we cannot seriously consider LIU Post. However, I am very concerned about some things I am reading...esp. the food and mold situations. I need to know that she is healthy and safe wherever she chooses to go to school. My other concern is about their financial situation. I need to know that their program is stable and they have the money to invest in upgrades that are needed. She has several other auditions, so we are in a bit of a holding pattern right now. However, we do plan to visit the school sometime in February. I don't know how to private message (new to this site). But at some point in the decision making process it would be wonderful for her to be able to speak with your daughter. Thank you again!!
  • mtmaybemtmaybe Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    Hi! @bestdays
    I am a current freshman @ liu post as well (although I am an acting major not an MT) (I actually know the above poster’s daughter!)
    I LOVE the program, but the school itself is a bit of a mess. I think the food is getting better and honestly, after touring my three acceptances last year, I don’t think it is any worse than the other two schools.
    Some really wonderful things about the program
    1. The training!!! As I mentioned, I am an acting major and would probably consider myself an actor, dancer, singer. I feel like I have grown immensely in all of the areas. The acting training is very rooted in character development and achieving an objective, and letting the emotion come naturally from these things (it maybe sounds weird but it works and what we did in class last semester pushed me so far). We also train in an acting technique called Suzuki, which is a physical acting training. The head of the department, Maria Porter, trained under Suzuki himself. All of the upperclassmen love it, but I cannot attest to that because we don’t take it until second semester freshman year!
    There are several different voice teachers and acting majors can also take voice (like I do!). If the above poster’s daughter is who I think it is, we have the same voice teacher who is absolutely WONDERFUL. Singing is not my strongest but this semester I improved so much and my friends started noticing just when I sang offhandedly.
    I loved the dance class I took last semester (hip hop) and felt like I learned a lot. There is a BFA in dance program st post so there are more options for dance classes than there are at other programs.
    2. How INVESTED everyone is. Everyone in the program wants to create art and truly make it as a performer. Everyone is giving their all always and it SHOWS. The talent level is incredible and if you can, I’d encourage you to tour the school and see a show (the wild party is this year’s musical and I believe it is up in mid-late February. There have been several student-hosted master classes, especially for dance as there are a lot of incredible dancers in our year, and someone is always willing to let you show them what you’re working on and offer help. In the department as a whole, everyone has a “big” who you can go to for any questions you may have.
    3. The opportunities! There is a student run theatre company that freshman can perform in, the proximity to the city allows students to take classes and see shows (and attend auditions!), a new initiative called thank god its original where students can workshop pieces with peers and faculty,

Some cons
    1. As one of the city dwellers who has complained about being in the middle of nowhere, I personally don’t like being in the middle of the suburbs. That being said, I am somewhat of an anomaly as I am used to being able to get around independently and take the train/bus anywhere and I can’t drive (there are lots of people with cars on campus and if you need a ride somewhere you can usually get one. There is also uber and the free shuttle.)
    2. The food is not very good but as above said we are getting a new caterer and there were already several improvements in the few weeks before break when that happened.
    3. There were a few issues with mold but that was mostly one incident (which was AWFUL, but it isn’t very common). The facilities are not great.
    4. The academic standard outside the program is mediocre at best, but this does let you focus on your training as an actor.
    Also, most AP credits are accepted and because of that, I only have to take one more gen ed in my entire four years at post.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out!
    @mtmaybe Thank you so much for taking the time to post the pros and cons. This really helps a lot. We are planning to visit the school sometime in February, so we will definitely try to see the show! I may reach out again with more questions in the future. Thanks again!!
    @bestdays Of course!
    @mtmaybe I do have another question, if you don't mind. Do you know if it is possible to minor in another subject if you are in the BFA MT program? Do you know of anyone who is doing this? My daughter is interested in possibly minoring in business or marketing. Thank you so much!
    @bestdays It is! We actually do currently have a freshman minoring in marketing.