right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Final MT Decisions Background - Class of 2023

Replies to: Final MT Decisions Background - Class of 2023

• NewMTDadNewMTDad 22 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    As people are making their decisions or those of your from past years, what does a letter or email to a school you have decided not to go with look like? Do you say only "Thank you for the offer but have decided on another school" short and sweet or do you say which school, do you say what you liked about their program but why you chose another school. I assume less is more. Do the schools respond back to you? Not sure what to expect. Haven't made the final-final, but have finally decided on the for sure no's which wasn't easy with our D because she really liked them but we can't visit them. We wrote some why we weren't visiting emails, but not the final decided on another school email. Any suggestions much appreciated.
    · Reply · Share
  • speezagmomspeezagmom 366 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    @NewTMDad Here's a verbatim email minus the names.

Dear <Head of MT program - or person who signed your offer letter - or who was the primary communicator for the school>

Thank you so much for offering me a position in the XYZ program at <school name>. I regret to inform you that I am declining the offer as I have recently committed elsewhere.

Thank you again, and best of luck moving forward.
    <student name>
    · Reply · Share
  • speezagmomspeezagmom 366 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    @NewMTDad When we had all our offers in hand last year (about April 1), S knew that one of two schools was probably the right choice and he kept a 3rd school in his pocket until we visited the two at the top of the list. (He had auditioned on campus at the 3rd so didn't really have questions about that one.) He immediately released the other accepted schools and 1 of the two waitlist positions he had. He stayed on one waitlist. Generally, I would say that you go through the acceptances that you have. If there are any that are for sure no's, you release them. If you really don't know yet for whatever reason (don't have the full financial picture, haven't visited the campuses, etc. ), you hold on to them until you can answer the questions to make an informed decision.
    · Reply · Share
    @speezagmom Thank you for both comments. You have provided a lot of useful info, thank you again.
    · Reply · Share
  • gatorbridgetgatorbridget 84 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I have had every one of these thoughts too!
    · Reply · Share
  • katzenbogenkatzenbogen 88 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @NewMTDad I have had the same thoughts. It’s scary to tell any place no given the hit rate for MT.
    · Reply · Share
    Glad to hear I am not the only one. I thought about having her correspond with her picture, just to be sure. Hee Hee. I hope that doesn't sound bad, I believe in my D, but with so much rejection, hard to believe there is someone who finally sees what we see. I'm sure it is all good. Thank you everyone for the "me too's".
    · Reply · Share
  • NYDreammomNYDreammom 308 replies0 threadsRegistered User Member
    @NewMTDad I'm sure mistakes happen but rarely so - last year there was someone on here (not sure if MT or Acting) whose kid was told they were admitted and then (I'm pretty sure) the following day advised it was an unfortunate mistake. But yes, apprehensive here about releasing our no's but expect to do so next week.
    · Reply · Share
  • CaMom13CaMom13 1855 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    That mistaken acceptance was a phone call from UNCSA made to the wrong applicant and it was for technical theatre @NYDreammom. That's the only administrative error I remember and they did correct it promptly.
    · Reply · Share
  • lithpoollithpool 411 replies14 threadsRegistered User Member
    @peacemama Your talented S had some wonderful options! That must have been tough! Congratulations on finding his fit!! Now uncork that bottle!
    · Reply · Share
  • CaMom13CaMom13 1855 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    So glad everything went smoothly with your S's application process @peacemama and what a great bunch of acceptances! I am sure he'll have the time of his life at TX State - congratulations all around.
    · Reply · Share
  • peacemamapeacemama 33 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @lithpool @CaMom13 Thank you so much! It's been a crazy ride!
    · Reply · Share
  • mtmadremtmadre 9 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    edited March 20
    @peacemama Yay! Congrats! I believe my D was at the visit at Texas State with you! What a great experience!
    edited March 20
    · Reply · Share
  • JavaJoJavaJo 137 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Congratulations @peacemama !! Fantastic story and the perfect ending! 😊
    · Reply · Share
  • actorparent1actorparent1 754 replies6 threadsRegistered User Member
    Wonderful story, @peacemama! I love how during the visit, he just started to FEEL deep inside that this was "the one." Congratulations!
    · Reply · Share
  • artandtechmomartandtechmom 81 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited March 20
    @peacemama, congratulations on your decision. Sounds like your son is wise and customized what is right for him! Love how you supported him along the way :)
    edited March 20
    · Reply · Share