right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Final MT Decisions Background - Class of 2023

1242526272830»

Replies to: Final MT Decisions Background - Class of 2023

• speezagmomspeezagmom 371 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    @CaMom13 Totally agree. Freshman year was an adjustment period, and I thought S's load was heavy then when comparing it to what I remember college being like (business student). Sophomore year is just that much more challenging. These kids have very little down time. I guess it keeps them out of trouble. lol - no time to party.
    · Reply · Share
  • mindatworkmindatwork 139 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @lovetoact, I'm so glad your son is having a great experience at Temple. After almost deciding not to do a campus visit because we were out of time and he did not have enough approved absences left to visit everywhere he was accepted, my son had a very similar experience in the final tour/sitting in on classes at Temple and our whole family really fell in love with that program, the professors, the university and the Philadelphia arts scene. He ended up choosing a different program but I still feel a connection to Temple and I can't wait to see what the new BFA grads do. If any 2024 parents/kids are still reading this thread, definitely consider this program because they are doing it right.

From my perspective 400 miles away, my son is adjusting pretty well. I never did a final decision post because he asked me not to share that much information online. He really enjoys his classes although the work load is intense. After the first couple weeks, he's found time to join clubs and activities and seems to be trying very hard to find his place. I was prepared for it to be a hard adjustment for us here at home, I didn't consider that it's not an instantaneous easy adjustment for the kids - maybe that's something we forget about our own college experience? At any rate, he seems content and that's good enough for now.
    · Reply · Share
  • mindatworkmindatwork 139 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Forgot to say what I would change or do differently... I can't speak for my son and it was his experience so my perspective is speculative. The curriculum comparison was worthless for us and I remain bemusedly embittered by the ink and paper I wasted printing it all out to hear "it's all the same, just different fancy descriptions for the same classes." (Which I maintain is not true but who is going to win that argument?) And I definitely don't know if I have the right answers or a helpful perspective because it's early days yet but I can offer some thoughts about the decision making part of it.

There are a lot of programs out there and you can't apply to all of them so give serious attention to the type of program (conservatory or non-conservatory), size of the school, location (rural, urban, suburban) and don't focus on the name/ranking and waste time and money applying to or auditioning for programs where in the end, your child really wouldn't feel comfortable. I would have worried less about not leaving any stone unturned and insisted on giving more consideration to where my kid would thrive. He did a fairly good job of this but in hindsight, he knew there were a few schools on his list because of ranking and reputation which were just not the right place for him.
    · Reply · Share
  • artskidsartskids 1528 replies22 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    BW had add on fees for accompanists. Not a huge expense but an expense nonetheless. One of my Ds is at BU - MT Concentration (they do not have an MT track - just a concentration); she pays out of pocket for voice.
    · Reply · Share
  • DramaMama1031DramaMama1031 4 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Okay, here goes. My daughter didn't want to go too far from home so that dictated our search.

Programs Applied to: Point Park U., West Virginia U. Virginia Commonwealth, James Madison U.

Prescreens: None

Accepted to: Point Park U., West Virginia U.

Final Decision: West Virginia University (BFA)

WVU has a program that is very strong and she felt there would be more opportunities for her there. She loves it there and is happy with her decision!
    · Reply · Share
  • NYYFanNowMTdadNYYFanNowMTdad 225 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @DramaMama1031 congrats! glad to see some post still trickling in on final decisions for 2023 as the class of 2024 is in the "pre screen season" its a good reminder of the end goal!
    · Reply · Share
  • NYYFanNowMTdadNYYFanNowMTdad 225 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Karamiles congrats & thanks for sharing!
    · Reply · Share
  • CaMom13CaMom13 1869 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @lovetoact - so happy to hear such detailed and positive feedback on the Temple program. We visited Temple for an accepted student event in 2018 (BA not BFA) and loved it. I felt like the rapport between the faculty and students as well as the camaraderie between students was outstanding and we loved their approach. If my D had been an accepted BFA applicant it would have been hard to turn down! So glad your son is thriving and lucky you to have such fantastic events for Parents Weekend!!!
    · Reply · Share