right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Gap year? Anyone? What’s it look like?

rbg2019rbg2019 8 replies1 threads New Member
My kid got awesome acceptances and scholarship offers but financially they are still out of reach so considering gap year to scrape together more funds. Trying to figure out what this gap year should look like as this could be expensive as well. Any ideas? Anyone have experience with this?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Gap year? Anyone? What’s it look like?

• techmom99techmom99 3532 replies6 threads Senior Member
    No experience with gap years for theater kids although my 2 middle sons each took one. MT is a little different because many times classes are formed with specific types in mind, but perhaps your kid could try to defer at one school and work during the year to get money together. That way, s/he doesn't have to audition again, but they could work in community theater, etc. to keep their skills going.
    · Reply · Share
  • momo2x2018momo2x2018 1155 replies74 threads Senior Member
    My kids (not MT kids) are on a Gap Year right now; there are lots of different options and opportunities. You do not need to create a GY experience with expensive companies, you can create your own. That's what we did and my kids are very happy. Please get in touch if you'd like some suggestions or ideas.
    · Reply · Share
  • CaliConfusedCaliConfused 1 replies1 threads New Member
    My son was taking a gap year before attending NYU. We are wracking our brains for ideas. He's considering applying to the NY Times School Gap Year, but it is very expensive. Any other ideas?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity