right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Moonifieds 2019

Back2B4Back2B4 7 replies1 postsRegistered User New Member
HI! Does anyone know which 6 schools (on the 27 school list) are doing live prescreens (vs final auditions) this year at Moonifieds? Thanks :)
13 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Moonifieds 2019

• MTDad2025MTDad2025 55 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    It appears from my notes (I did not have a child there) that last year the following schools used Moonifieds as a live prescreen:
    Texas State
    Penn State
    Otterbein
    Florida State
    Coastal Carolina
    In addition, OU reserved the right to ask for an on campus audition.
    These are among the schools that are on my daughter's not-so-short list so I am sure there were more.
    · Reply · Share
  • MTdreaminMTdreamin 59 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Last year Pace was also a prescreen at Moonifieds. Every year is different though. Moo is releasing the information for this year on August 15th. We found Moonifieds to be a very beneficial experience. It was so well-organized! Also, my daughter did a bunch of her prescreens there: this was the year before the common prescreen, so it saved us a lot of filming. She ended up with one admission before Christmas and three overall out of 14 auditions at Moonifieds. We can't say enough good things about Moo and her team!
    · Reply · Share
  • flippedoutflippedout 16 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    I believe USC is also a live pre-screen.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mmparks1Mmparks1 6 replies2 postsRegistered User New Member
    edited July 21
    Pace, Penn State, FSU, Texas State, USC, Otterbein.
    edited July 21
    · Reply · Share
  • MTisNutzMTisNutz 17 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @MTDreamin How many auditionees were there and what was the format--is it like unifieds where you have to make your own appointments based on prescreen? It appears to be a great opportunity to see a number of schools on our list. Thanks.
    · Reply · Share
  • Notmath1Notmath1 551 replies35 postsRegistered User Member
    I'm getting this from friends/families but am told Moonifieds staff does all the scheduling for you, and the auditions are private like Unifieds. Not a group in the same room like CAP and Thespians. But both sound like a great opportunity.
    · Reply · Share
  • EmsDadEmsDad 1498 replies14 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 4
    Moonifieds use a format similar to Unifieds with private auditions for each program. Unlike Unifieds, there is a single dance call for all programs, which saves a bunch of time. Scheduling is done by the Moonifieds staff, you simply submit the list of programs you want to audition for, and all of your auditions will be scheduled for you - no mess, no fuss. You may audition for as many programs as you like over the three days of auditions. This year there are 27 programs announced as attending with 21 final auditions and 6 live prescreens (per the College Audition Coach website). I believe there are on the order of 100 or so auditioners, but I would recommend checking with Mary Anna to get a better estimate.
    In addition to auditions, there are Master Classes with college faculty, a pizza party, parent sessions, and more, all held in a single location (a Hilton in Dallas).
    edited August 4
    · Reply · Share
    @EmsDad Thank you for the additional information on Moonifieds. Obviously CAC coaches the audition process itself--that's the service, and this event keeps growing so the schools like what they are getting. Would appreciate any additional feedback on these questions from those who have been there:

Were you able to discern whether the schools thought those kids were better trained or audition-ready compared to other venues?

How much does Moo influence her students choices -- does she accept the students' choices of material or does she curate their material?

Any idea what fraction of the kids gain acceptances based on this event?

Thank you for your help.
    · Reply · Share
  • EmsDadEmsDad 1498 replies14 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 4
    Were you able to discern whether the schools thought those kids were better trained or audition-ready compared to other venues?
    I can't speak to the mindset of attending programs at Moonifieds, but I can say that my d thought that the level of competition was higher at Moonifieds than any other audition she attended based on the dance call, what she heard "through the door," and the other students that she met. This is not to say that the auditioners at Moonifieds were in any way "the best" compared to well-prepared students from other auditions, just that my d thought that, across-the-board, the students attending were more uniformly well-prepared and capable than at other auditions, where there was a lot more variation in talent and training.

As an anecdote, a couple of students that my d met at Moonifieds are now on Broadway.

How much does Moo influence her students choices -- does she accept the students' choices of material or does she curate their material?
    I think most students use Moo in order to get help on selecting material and offering help in finding material is one of her specialties. Moo definitely did not "push" material at my d, she just had her do an exercise to characterize her castable type and then offered various monologue selections for her to look at and try out. The selection of material was entirely up to my d. My d did ask for help in making a final selection and Moo had some great advice on how to make a choice, but, in the end, the decision was still entirely up to her. My d already was comfortable with her song selections so she did not use Moo's song consultant and Moo had absolutely no problem with that.

Regarding your last question - I have no real basis to comment on what percentage of students get offers from Moonifieds but I suspect it is quite high for those students who audition for a broad cross-section of schools at the event. I do know of attendees who received no offers, but most students that my d knows who attended received at least one offer.
    edited August 4
    · Reply · Share
    @EmsDad Thank you for your helpful answers.
    · Reply · Share
  • MTdreaminMTdreamin 59 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @MTisNutz Sorry I missed your post: thanks to @EmsDad for answering the questions. @EmsDad was part of the parent panel last year: Moonifieds has a panel of parents of current and recently graduated MT/Acting students to answer current parent questions. I found everyone on that panel to be extremely helpful and available for answering all sorts of questions.
    I agree there were around 100 students (my estimate only!) last year: 75-80 MT students; 15-20 straight acting students. There were more girls than boys, but that was true for every audition we attended-it's just the way the numbers are.
    The event is held in November. For format you just submit your list of audition schools to Moo's team, and all your auditions are arranged for you. There is a group dance call (last year only one school required a separate dance call). Your auditions are similar to Unifieds: held in a hotel rooms or meeting rooms. There is a "green room" on the floor where the auditions are held where you can wait between auditions, or you can go back to your own hotel room. To be a part of Moonifieds, you must sign up for a coaching package with Moo.
    Moo was extremely helpful in choosing monologue material for my daughter. She really got her essence and helped her pick great material, although she did not push it on her at all. My daughter just loved the monologues Moo picked, so she used them.
    I do not know what fraction of kids got acceptances, but lots of them did because they shared with each other on social media. We particularly appreciated the schools at Moonifieds that made offers before the end of the year because an early acceptance helped take a little bit of the pressure off.
    · Reply · Share
  • MTDad2025MTDad2025 55 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited August 7
    There are several musical theatre education programs which, if your child attends, will allow you access to Moonifieds without using any of her other services. TUTS in Houston, for example. You just need to pay the attendance fee for the event.
    edited August 7
    · Reply · Share
  • Back2B4Back2B4 7 replies1 postsRegistered User New Member
    Great info. Thanks everyone for all the responses! :)
    · Reply · Share