right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Class of 2024 No BFA MT Looking at Plan B/Gap Year

MTMamooMTMamoo 40 replies1 threads Junior Member
Coming down the wire for final results of BFA MT auditions and it's looking like my D will not receive any acceptances. Heartbreaking given the amount of work put into this process! She has some BFA Acting options, loads of BA Theater options and is on a few MT waitlists, but she's already starting to consider a gap year and reapplication next year with maybe a more equal emphasis on Acting and MT. Gulp! Should she just read the writing on the wall and come to grips with the likelihood that an insanely competitive MT career is not in the cards? I want to be supportive, but also don't want to re-live this. Looking for advice, pros and cons of each option from those (parents and students) who have gone down this road before, and camaraderie with those who are going through this experience this year. Thanks for the guidance and support!
205 replies
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Class of 2024 No BFA MT Looking at Plan B/Gap Year

• onetteonette 346 replies4 threads Member
    I will chime in here that the two gap year kids that I have are VERY happy to talk to anyone considering it. Neither one of them initially wanted to do a gap year (nor did their families) and worried about what schools, peers, etc. might think . Both now say it was the right decision for them and are happy to help others. DM me if you want their emails! They actually decided on that path because of overbooked senior years and not enough time to focus on auditions. However, there were several legacy members here who had experienced success with gap years and I showed them THEIR stories to help them make their decisions. So just paying it forward!
    · Reply · Share
  • MTdreaminMTdreamin 143 replies1 threads Junior Member
    edited March 9
    Hi @MTMamoo , Here is a link to a thread posted by @owensfolks : their D took a gap year, and the journey is described on this thread from the Class of 2022:

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/musical-theater-major/1989083-gap-state-p1.html

And check out Post #111 on the Final Decision thread from 2022: https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/musical-theater-major/2059578-final-mt-decisions-background-class-of-2022-p6.html

@owensfolks D had several great choices after her gap year and chose to attend Shenandoah. I hope everything works out for your D this year, but I hope these links help in the event you (or others) would like to explore the idea of a gap year. Sending hugs and positive vibes your way!!
    edited March 9
    · Reply · Share
  • tsamuiquetsamuique 253 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Well said, @Dance3Looks3 !!
    · Reply · Share
  • MTMamooMTMamoo 40 replies1 threads Junior Member
    @MTdreamin @Sitzprobe @tsamuique @Dance3Looks3 You're all amazing!!! Thank you for the thoughtful advice and perspectives. @odette Thank you again for the offer to talk with your students. I will reach out once we've heard from all the schools. My D is not closing the door on anything yet. We are planning to visit some of her admitted schools in April (coronavirus notwithstanding) and keeping our fingers crossed for the waitlists. And yes, I truly believe that there are many paths and on good days, so does my D.

@PNWdrama @WombToTomb @Lilybird4 @AnxiousNovice I'm tagging you here, because I think you were interested in this issue from the "MT Acceptances How/When/Where" topic. (I'm still learning how this forum works.)
    · Reply · Share
  • MTDad2025MTDad2025 85 replies3 threads Junior Member
    That feeling you get when you know your child won't get into any BFA programs....but know that 40% of the stars of 'Magic Mike' got into Carnegie Mellon....smh

At least 40%, unless you know all the stars' offer lists.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomMimiMomMimi 90 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @StanfordAI -- sure, but after high school Matthew McConaughey went to Australia and spent a year shoveling chicken manure. No joke! There are ALL kinds of paths to success ...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000190/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm
    · Reply · Share
  • BloomingGirlBloomingGirl 137 replies0 threads Junior Member
    My d has no BFA acceptances (but still a lot of schools to hear from). We hadn't talked about a gap year because she has an academic interest that is her plan B. I'm getting concerned though that she has applied to so many schools and visited so few of them. We had planned to travel in April to schools that have accepted her but with colleges closing down this might not be possible. I would hate her committing to 4 years without seeing the school and testing for fit so it might come down to picking from the few colleges she has visited (should she get accepted) or a gap year.
    · Reply · Share
  • JpkcmoJpkcmo 102 replies1 threads Junior Member
    @Dance3Looks3 I will openly share that Otterbein dorms do NOT have air conditioning and they admit that too on their tours. It's only a problem for about the first month so bring a window fan or two). Didn't dissuade my S :-)
    · Reply · Share
  • Dance3Looks3Dance3Looks3 165 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @Jpkcmo but no hissing pit (with snakes, of course) under the dance studio?

I suspect that at most schools, since our kids don't get to commit until much later than other students, the housing options are not premium anyway. That might be my biggest frustration with the process ... our kids are ostensibly motivated, probably in the upper proportion of academic achievers in the incoming classes at these schools, and they're among the last to commit (through no fault or negligence of their own) so they end up in triple rooms or the grossest housing options. Builds character I guess?
    · Reply · Share
  • MTMamooMTMamoo 40 replies1 threads Junior Member
    @BloomingGirl I once thought my "wait until you get in" to visit colleges was such brilliant advice... not so much now. I guess if my D had gotten into one of her desired schools for MT, she might enroll without a visit (not advised under normal circumstances). But given her uncertainty around the BFA Acting schools, she really needs to see the campuses and meet the students/faculty. We'll do as much as we can online - seeking answers to all the great points made by @upstaged @Jpkcmo and others, but that's just not the same as experiencing the campus firsthand. We decided to go ahead and book flights over Spring Break using miles, so we can cancel if we need to. Feeling grateful to have miles to use, even if the routing is ridiculously convoluted and flights might get cancelled by airlines last minute. That's what I get for moving to the West Coast from the East and having a daughter who loves the East Coast!
    · Reply · Share
  • JpkcmoJpkcmo 102 replies1 threads Junior Member
    @Dance3Looks3 Otterbein is so small that the MTers get the cream of the crop in housing choices. Equal opportunity grossness there - nobody gets A/C, not even the athletes (Division III sports). Their world class equestrian team has better accommodations for the horses than the kids (ok, maybe that's a stretch).

A little levity about Otterbein is that they send a notification before classes start - "All fees including stable fees must be paid before you will be allowed to attend classes".
    · Reply · Share
  • soozievtsoozievt ! 31616 replies375 threads Senior Member
    edited March 10
    Please know that at MANY colleges, housing selections do not happen until summer or at least until after May 1 when students commit to enroll. For example, this was true at the colleges my own kids attended. Everyone admitted was in the same boat and it was after May 1 and over the summer that housing selection occurred.
    edited March 10
    · Reply · Share