right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Spain? Italy? Hawaii? Where do you want to travel WHILE getting college credit? REGISTER NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

26 y/o with B.A. in Communication, changing career paths to pursue MT

hhdotimashhdotimas 0 replies1 threads New Member
I'm a 26 y/o college graduate with a B.A. in communication looking to switch career paths and pursue musical theatre.

I don't have an extensive background in MT, but I do have dance experience as a scholarship recipient at a reputable studio (Cultureshock) in San Diego in 2012 and two community college performances where I played principal/lead roles in 2019. I'm currently attending dance classes and workshops at the San Diego Musical Theatre.

I'm considering formal MT education at university or conservatory as an option, and I was wondering if I have a shot at getting accepted into any of the big 10 MT universities? Are there any first year MT students who are returning undergraduates or other non-traditional undergrad students? Would I even be eligible for scholarships?

I'm wondering if a formal education is a good idea at this point... Or if I should just throw myself into NYC and take private studio classes as I audition... Not really sure where to find resources for my situation either as it seems terribly unique for MT--I am getting into the game quite late, haha.

I am positive that this is truly what I want to do. I'm just not sure how to get there at this stage in life.
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: 26 y/o with B.A. in Communication, changing career paths to pursue MT

• actorparent1actorparent1 856 replies6 threads Member
    If you already have a B.A., there's no point going BACK to college for a BFA. IMO, it makes more sense to take acting classes, singing lessons and dance classes. It would be much cheaper than a BFA.
    · Reply · Share
  • um2ku04um2ku04 4 replies0 threads New Member
    Or consider pursuing an MFA
    · Reply · Share
  • CBSQandACBSQandA 74 replies4 threads Junior Member
    You could also consider one of the two/three year certificate programs in NYC such as Circle in The Square or Stella Adler Studio (maybe Atlantic Acting School, Lee Strasberg Institute, AMDA (?). I know Circle does MT, not as sure about the rest of the two year conservatories. You could also do some intensives while auditioning. Getting a BFA is likely unnecessary.
    · Reply · Share
  • Compgrad1Compgrad1 8 replies0 threads New Member
    I agree with some of the others. If you already have a BA there is no benefit from getting a BFA only from getting good training. It would be a better move financially to use your money for great training either privately or one of the above-mentioned certification courses. NYFA also has a great one or two year MT certificate worth looking into.
    Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 7914 replies39 threads Senior Member
    ^^^this. Also audition on the side. New York can be a reality check. Might even want to try a smaller market and work your way up. Test the waters per se. It's all about talent and if you have what they want that day. Get ready for a multitude of rejections. Gotta have the voice even over dance. Get a vocal coach and see where you realistically are. Lots of your competition have been training their voices since high school so they have 8 years on you. But if it's a dream and you can somehow afford it. Go for it!
    · Reply · Share