Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does the first-choice college decision effect one's competativness for the $2500??

lucyloveslucyloves Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
edited October 2010 in National Merit Scholarships
I have read so many threads, and I just do no get it. I designated my state flagship (that offers a couple NM fullrides) as my first choice. Does this put me out of the running for the one-time 2500 thing? Or only if I get said fullride? Or not at all?

Please and thank you
Post edited by lucyloves on

Replies to: Does the first-choice college decision effect one's competativness for the $2500??

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,718 Forum Champion
    You can only ACCEPT one official NMF scholarship.

If you ACCEPT the flagship official NMF scholarship, then you won't get the $2500.

If you don't get that scholarship, then you can be considered.

What flagship only offers a couple of NMF full rides?

Are you going to apply to any other flagships that offer NMF full rides to all NMFs?

NMF will let you accept whichever scholarship gives you the most money.

My son accepted the corporate NMF scholarship and was still allowed to accept the big NMF scholarship from a flagship (less $1k which was the "official" portion). The free tuition and free housing that is given to all NMFs is not the "official" NMF scholarship.

So he got...

free tuition
    free housing
    laptop
    study abroad money

as the unofficial NMF scholarship from his school

and...he was able to accept the $2500/year corporate Official NMF scholarship.

does that make sense?
  • lucyloveslucyloves Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    thank you, that was helpful. it's u of illinois-urbana, they offer 30. I don't think i will be applying to any that offer full rides to everyone, but i might end up looking into it more....
    thanks again.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,718 Forum Champion
    ????

Where are you seeing that UIUC offers 30 full-rides to NMFs?

U of I Admissions: Scholarships for select freshmen in any academic discipline, based on academic excellence

National Merit Award

Requirements: National Merit finalists who indicated the University of Illinois as their top choice

Amount: $500
    Renewable: Yes – four years, provided the student maintains a 3.0 GPA
This discussion has been closed.