right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Can my son appeal National Merit decision?

photobugphotobug 3 replies2 threads New Member
edited January 2012 in National Merit Scholarships
My son got a letter yesterday informing him that he did not advance to NM finalist standing. This is due to some bad grades (two D's) junior year. However, he was diagnosed with an unusual medical disorder and is now on medication which is helping him considerably. Would it be worth it to appeal this decision? They may not even reconsider him due to these grades, even though now he is being treated his grades have improved drastically.
edited January 2012
11 replies
Post edited by photobug on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Can my son appeal National Merit decision?

• Wolverine86Wolverine86 2150 replies46 threads Senior Member
    photobug...I'd say it's absolutely worth it to appeal NMSC's decision...unless you're in a financial position where potential scholarship funds ranging anywhere from $2500 to $100K plus is something you're willing to forego. I don't know what universities your S is considering, but I sure wouldn't close the door on ANY of the NMF monies until I absolutely had to. I don't know anything about the appeals process or what your chances of success would be, but I'd sure give it a shot!! Good Luck!!

P.S. It's possible that his NMSF status may still qualify him for a large scholarship at Alabama, if that's a school that interests him. If I remember correctly from last year, D1 was offered a full tuition scholarship based on being named an NMSF which increased to a full ride once she reached NMF status. Mom2collegekids would be a better person to ask regarding this point. She's a GREAT source of info for all things Bama scholarship related.
    · Reply · Share
  • tommykirkpatricktommykirkpatrick 498 replies45 threads Member
    Bama will still give full tuition for him, but I'd defintely appeal regardless of his choice of school. Call NMcorp and see what they can do.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama 84332 replies1049 threads Forum Champion
    ^^^

To clarify....

Unless he applied by Dec 1st, he wouldn't get the full tuition for NMSF status at Bama. Bama only gives leeway for that deadline to those who make NMF.

However, yes, appeal with some back-up info...medical diagnosis and possibly a more current transcript.
    · Reply · Share
  • photobugphotobug 3 replies2 threads New Member
    Thanks for the info. Has anyone out there heard of someone appealing successfully? We certainly have a medical diagnosis and his senior year grades are back on track...he didn't apply to any schools that will offer him a full ride (like Alabama) but we were certainly hoping for some merit aid as well as the "status" NMF would give his applications.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama 84332 replies1049 threads Forum Champion
    ^^^

Someone on another thread posted the they had a successful appeal based on grades. It involved contacting NMCorp and getting the school GC involved.

BTW...what was the date of your son's letter and the postmark date of the envelope...you got your letter much later than the others.
    · Reply · Share
  • photobugphotobug 3 replies2 threads New Member
    Got it Friday (Jan 20th), mailed on Jan 16th.
    · Reply · Share
  • HyungryFroadHyungryFroad 29 replies7 threads Junior Member
    Hmmm. Now I no longer feel safe TT

What region of the country are you in? >.>
    · Reply · Share
  • tommykirkpatricktommykirkpatrick 498 replies45 threads Member
    Oh, jeez... is it common for a rejection letter to be mailed this late?
    · Reply · Share
  • mathisfun111mathisfun111 264 replies55 threads Member
    Crap, im scared now :(

Sent from my DROID Pro using CC App
    · Reply · Share
  • Texasmom12Texasmom12 38 replies4 threads Junior Member
    January 16th was MLK day - it was a postal holiday.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegeguidercollegeguider 246 replies8 threads Junior Member
    Your son should consider the Honors College at the University of Mississippi. UM will honor his status as National Merit Semifinalist awarding him a very nice scholarship. If he does advance to Finalist, there could still be hope for Honors admission even though the deadline has passed (January 15th). Check it out at The Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College - The University of Mississippi - Ole Miss - Oxford, MS.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity