right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Date we get our letters?

randommegsrandommegs 3 replies2 threads New Member
edited February 2012 in National Merit Scholarships
Hi, I'm a senior in Louisiana heading to study engineering at the University of Alabama. So, I am desperately hoping that I get the finalist status. Does anyone know when the letters should arrive? I know sometime in February, but I was hoping for a more specified time range. The anticipation is killing me!
edited February 2012
17 replies
Post edited by randommegs on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Date we get our letters?

• PinotNoirPinotNoir 2508 replies46 threads Senior Member
    I'm not sure when or how you will be notified of finalist status, but the fact that you haven't gotten a bad-news letter by now is great news - most of them seem to have gone out already. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • Lolar7Lolar7 161 replies5 threads Junior Member
    I found a PDF on the NMSC website with specific dates in the 2012 competition:

January 22, 2012: Selection committees begin choosing Merit Scholarship award winners

February 1, 2012: NMSC mails notification to high school principals about the status of their Semifinalists; a Certificate of Merit is provided for each Semifinalist who qualifies as a Finalist.

February 8, 2012: NMSC notifies Finalists of their status at their home addresses.

March 1, 2012: Finalists who have reported a sponsor college as first choice by this date will be included in the first group referred to the institution for scholarship consideration.

March 7, 2012: NMSC begins mailing corporate-sponsored Merit Scholarship offers to winners at their home addresses.

March 22, 2012: NMSC mails offered of National Merit $2500 Scholarships.

April 25, 2012: NMSC begins mailing offers of college-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards.
    · Reply · Share
  • randommegsrandommegs 3 replies2 threads New Member
    Oh thank you!! That is incredibly helpful! I looked all over that site and didn't find that PDF. Thank you!
    · Reply · Share
  • eaglessoareaglessoar 30 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Thanks, I couldn't find it either. Anyone hear from their school today?
    · Reply · Share
    I just got my letter today!
    · Reply · Share
    My son got his letter today from his principal - he's headed for a free ride to Auburn in engineering!
    · Reply · Share
    Congratulations!
    I'm headed to 'Bama for a full ride in engineering :D
    · Reply · Share
  • tommykirkpatricktommykirkpatrick 498 replies45 threads Member
    Roll Tide!!
    · Reply · Share
    Congrats, everyone! The long wait is finally over!
    · Reply · Share
  • waitingforivywaitingforivy 739 replies139 threads Member
    Congrats everyone!
    My GC insists it's way too early and that the school hasn't heard anything yet, and that I shouldn't trust CC!
    No one got a rejection letter though.
    · Reply · Share
  • vryproudmomvryproudmom 189 replies30 threads Junior Member
    Congratulations to everyone...students and parents!!!
    I have learned so much from you all.

From a parent of a junior who is starting the long journey of waiting for cut off numbers etc.

@Debbie7452
    I empathize with what you are going through…this is so something that I could see happening in our school. I did have a thought…Is it possible that the school received the NAF first and your daughter’s may not have arrived yet?
    I hope that is what it is and good luck! Can’t wait to hear your good news.
    · Reply · Share
  • Debbie7452Debbie7452 534 replies15 threads Member
    ^^Thanks!
    I finally heard from the counselor. They admitted the press release was supposed to be for National Achievement, but they swear they have NOT received anything yet from NMSC. At least I feel better about the mix up and will just have to wait patiently(well, not so patiently...lol).
    · Reply · Share
  • PinotNoirPinotNoir 2508 replies46 threads Senior Member
    Debbie - I'm sure things will work out, but I can understand the stress while waiting!
    · Reply · Share
    Your school should get them any day. We are in Alabama & my son's school received them Monday.
    · Reply · Share
  • DrewlolDrewlol 19 replies2 threads New Member
    Does anybody know when schools are actually allowed to release the information??

Because my school may or may not have prematurely leaked the notifications... :D
    P.S. I'm in Michigan for everybody freaking out!
    · Reply · Share
  • 2baylor2baylor 5 replies1 threads New Member
    If your school hasn't given you your certificate yet, the admin is probably just hanging onto them and not telling you. I tracked down my counselor this morning and she admitted that they received our certificates but have been too busy to give them to us.

All I can say is GIVE ME MY FREAKING CERTIFICATE.
    · Reply · Share
  • tommykirkpatricktommykirkpatrick 498 replies45 threads Member
    They waited a couple of weeks before finally giving me my semifinalist packet, so I wouldn't be surprised if they already have it. I just want it in hand and get the whole thing over with.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity