Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Business schools for National Merit qualifiers

soupsongsoupsong Registered User Posts: 278 Junior Member
Hi everyone! I am a potential National Merit Semifinalist/Finalist, with excellent business acumen, and decent GPA (3.5 unweighted, 4.1 weighted). Im looking to take advantage of the National Merit money that is offered at different schools. Which schools would you suggest I apply to that have stellar business programs as well as A LOT of national merit money? Thanks for your help! It is definitely appreciated!
Post edited by soupsong on

Replies to: Business schools for National Merit qualifiers

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,683 Senior Member
    What area of business are you interested in?

Accounting
    Marketing
    Finance
    Econ
    Mgmt
    MIS
    or what?

How big of a scholarship do you want?

Half tuition?

Free tuition?

Free tuition and housing and other stuff?
  • soupsongsoupsong Registered User Posts: 278 Junior Member
    Im looking into Finance and Accounting. I want to go to a reputable school, that hopefully has global recognition. Full tuition, or full tuition with housing would be preferred.
    Bump bump bump
  • eg1995eg1995 Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    Macaulay at Baruch
  • JuniorMintJuniorMint Registered User Posts: 1,491 Senior Member
    Northeastern, Fordham, and Baylor are very selective private schools that offer full tuition scholarships for NMF. However, I do not have facts supporting their business schools. Also, their religious affiliations or locations may not be for you, and you would have to get into the top 10% of your class for the Fordham scholarship.

For publics, USC has a highly ranked business school, but (I think) offers only half tuition to NMF. Unfortunately, UT-Austin does not appear to participate in NM anymore. Plan II Honors Program
    Wesleyan is always great, with full tuition for NMF, if you are female.
    By the way, what do you think of UV? That will probably be the farthest reach I apply to.
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it! Does anyone know any other schools that would be good for me? The higher the rank the better.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,945 Senior Member
    The higher the rank, the less likely that you will get a significant NMF scholarship, or any merit scholarship at all. USC with a half tuition NMF would likely be your top choice.
    What about University of Oklahoma, or UTD?
  • JuniorMintJuniorMint Registered User Posts: 1,491 Senior Member
    To my knowledge, if rank is the only criteria, then USC is the highest ranked that gives NM scholarships. You may have some luck with U of Rochester, which has variable merit aid for NMF. Again, I do not know how to check business school rankings.

U of Texas-Tyler: NMF full ride & NMSF full tuition.
    U of Texas-Dallas: NMF tuition+ fees+ 4k annual+2k study abroad. National Merit Scholarships - Office of Undergraduate Education - The University of Texas at Dallas
    U of Oklahoma: NMF $92k+ laptop+ study abroad money.

If it is more for full rides, you can look here.
    Schools Offer FREE RIDE To Students Based on PSAT Scores – Tutor Talk | Applerouth Tutoring Services
    Good Luck!
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,683 Senior Member
    Bama is very strong for Accting and gives free tuition, housing, study abroad and more for NMF. I hear that the Finance program is very good, too, but I don't know a lot about it.
  • tommykirkpatricktommykirkpatrick Registered User Posts: 543 Member
    I'm going to Bama for economics on NMF scholarship and I have a friend who's going to be a Finance major, I could put you in touch with him if you'd like.
    That would be great! Thanks!
    bump bump bump
  • tommykirkpatricktommykirkpatrick Registered User Posts: 543 Member
    soupsong: i pm'd you.
  • paying4collegex4paying4collegex4 Registered User Posts: 404 Member
    There are lots of great options for National Merit Scholars who are interested in business.
    Here is a quick list based on the 2011 Business Week Rankings. (Note that you need to be sure that these schools are still giving their generous scholarships to NMFs when you apply. These deals are in a fairly constant state of flux. Some of these NMF awards are competitive.)

33 University of Tulsa
    38 Northeastern
    52 Fordham
    66 Baylor
    70 Drexel
    72 U Mass Amherst
    74 Pittsburgh
    75 Alabama
    77 Arizona State
    79 Loyola Chicago
    83 Oklahoma
    87 University of Cincinnati