right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

NMF Results WITH STATS

unicameral2013unicameral2013 810 replies20 discussions- Posts: 830 Member
edited February 2013 in National Merit Scholarships
Hi. The other thread is cluttered and off topic (my fault, sorry!). I want to hear who is and isn't getting NMF, to see what the standards are and how much more stringent they are than last years'. Just copy paste the below format and fill in your (child's) info. Only count the grades that showed up on the transcript, NOT midterm grades or 6 weeks grades or stuff like that. Please refrain from posting unless you have a CONFIRMED decision. I don't want to see anyone saying "Accepted" until they send the notices out. :p

Pick 1
Accepted
Rejected

# of A's:
# of B's:
# of C's:
edited February 2013
64 replies
Post edited by unicameral2013 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: NMF Results WITH STATS

• kplaydoughkplaydough 4 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5 New Member
    ACCEPTED
    # of A's: 21
    # of B's: 4
    # of C's: 0
    · Reply · Share
  • MereMomMereMom 675 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 679 Member
    DD2 ACCEPTED
    # of A's: 44
    # of B's: 0
    · Reply · Share
  • hannahromohannahromo 8 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9 New Member
    ACCEPTED
    # of A's: 28
    · Reply · Share
  • balderdashbalderdash 56 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    ACCEPTED
    # of A's: 25
    · Reply · Share
  • WoolScarvesWoolScarves 202 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 209 Junior Member
    ACCEPTED
    # of A's: 52
    # of B's: 4
    · Reply · Share
  • JuniorMintJuniorMint 1465 replies26 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,491 Senior Member
    Accepted
    # of A's: 40

The letter indicated that 90% of the 16k made finalists.
    · Reply · Share
  • Soonermom95Soonermom95 226 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 230 Junior Member
    Accepted
    # of A's: 27
    # of B's: 9
    · Reply · Share
  • OpalineOpaline 241 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 253 Junior Member
    ACCEPTED

# of B's: 10
    # of C's: 1
    · Reply · Share
  • abbyhookerabbyhooker 40 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Accepted, don't feel like counting A's; I received all A's and 1 B freshman year. I don't think this is based solely on grades, though. Rigor of curriculum, extracurriculars, and essays are more significant in my opinion.
    · Reply · Share
  • PlanoDad42PlanoDad42 9 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Adding to abbyhooker's comments, actual test scores, submitting SAT scores, school endorsement (incl parental input), citizenship, ... lots of factors to consider in addition to the grade bins.

ACCEPTED

# of A's: 52
    · Reply · Share
  • AmodeumAmodeum 42 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    ACCEPTED
    # of A's: 27
    # of B's: 2
    Unweighted GPA: 3.92
    SAT Score: 2340
    · Reply · Share
  • emberjedemberjed 1299 replies68 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,367 Senior Member
    Accepted (I think - no rejection letter)

If I remember correctly:
    # of A's: 31 + a few for gym, which isn't on our GPAs
    # of B's: 13 + a couple for gym
    · Reply · Share
  • Soonermom95Soonermom95 226 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 230 Junior Member
    I don't think this is based solely on grades, though. Rigor of curriculum, extracurriculars, and essays are more significant in my opinion.

It's not based solely on grades, but this thread originated from some discussion in another thread where people were wondering if NM was getting more strict on the number of Cs allowed for finalists.
    Rigor of curriculum, extracurriculars, and essays are more significant in my opinion.

Actually, according to a couple of recruiters I've talked to who are really knowledgable about the process, the only things that factor in are grades, qualifying SAT score (1960), having a passable essay and school recommendation. With 90% of semi-finalists moving on to finalist, it seems to me that NM isn't really spending a lot of time analyzing rigor of curriculum, ECs, etc. I think those things possibly factor in to who gets the scholarships but not who moves on to finalist.
    · Reply · Share
  • ROCKFISHDGROCKFISHDG 329 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 341 Member
    ^ Quality analysis Soonermom95
    · Reply · Share
  • MelioraMeliora 87 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    Accepted. School does not give GPA/rank. More Bs than As in sophomore year and junior year. No C.
    · Reply · Share
  • rmldadrmldad 1253 replies48 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,301 Senior Member
    My twins received their certificates today!

DD:
    ACCEPTED

# of A's: 42 (including A- grades)

DS:
    ACCEPTED

# of A's: 50 (including A- grades)
    # of B's: 2
    · Reply · Share
  • TXArchitectTXArchitect 1449 replies128 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,577 Senior Member
    Very proud to finally be able to post:

ACCEPTED

# of B's: 9
    · Reply · Share
  • PetersuuPetersuu 460 replies6 discussions. Posts: 466 Member
    Finalist status is definitely not based on grades, essay or extracurriculars.

My friend had like ~3 Cs, 8-10 Bs and the rest As, used a swear word in his essay (not that big of a deal, other than that the content of his essay was good) and doesn't do any extracurricular activities. To demonstrate the last point, when he realized that we needed 15 out of committee hours to stay in NHS, he decided to quit. Although he did score a 2290 on the SAT.
    · Reply · Share
  • mommaof5mommaof5 560 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 570 Member
    S's stats

Accepted
    # of A's: 36 (3 A-'s)
    · Reply · Share
  • kgund77kgund77 16 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18 New Member
    ACCEPTED
    # of A's: 37
    # of B's: 1