Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I remain undecided or should I report my first-choice college?

azwu331azwu331 Registered User Posts: 713 Member
Hello everyone.

I received my NMF letter in the mail today, but I am unsure about the "first-choice" school policy. I've applied to many schools, but the only school on my list that is a college sponsor is the University of Chicago ($4,000 per year). However, I applied to UChicago for Regular Decision and will not be receiving my decision until mid-March. Should I change my first-choice to UChicago since it is my only sponsor institution, or should I remain undecided because I do not know whether or not I will be accepted? I know that NMSC allows first-choice selections until May 31, but reports are sent on March 1 for the first group of students with chosen first-choices. Is there any benefit to choosing my first-choice early (March 1) rather than late (May 31)? I will not have my UChicago decision on March 1, so will sending or not sending early affect my decision? Also, will sending my report in early to a college affect my chances for a National Merit $2500 Scholarship?

Thanks in advance!

Replies to: Should I remain undecided or should I report my first-choice college?

  • TexasMomETexasMomE Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    I think the best thing to do might be to call UChicago and ask. I knew a NM Finalist a couple of years ago who didn't declare her first-choice until the last minute. She was truly undecided and she did that based on the advice she got directly from one of her top choice school.

    I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but maybe look carefully at the wording UChicago has. Do they offer the scholarship to NM Finalist or only NM Scholars? If it's only to scholars, then you'll need to name them as first choice before the NM Scholars are named.

    Look at it another way. If UChicago is the only one on your list who offers money, maybe there is no downside to naming them first choice? I think you can also change your first choice up until the deadline in May?

    Hopefully someone will answer who knows more definitive answers. I'm just guessing. Good luck and congratulations!
  • mamaedefamiliamamaedefamilia Registered User Posts: 3,067 Senior Member
    I would name Chicago as your first choice as you don't have any other options among the colleges where you applied. 16K is a meaningful sum.

    I would also write to your admissions rep, let that person know your good news, and say that you have selected U Chicago as your first choice. I bet that would get their attention!
  • azwu331azwu331 Registered User Posts: 713 Member
    Thank you guys very much!
  • RedYellowBlueRedYellowBlue Registered User Posts: 181 Junior Member
    Same situation here. I'd rather turn down a one time $2500 (if possible) NM money and accept $1000-2000 per year x 4.
  • azwu331azwu331 Registered User Posts: 713 Member
    Yeah, I'll list UChicago as my first choice. Thank you for your advice!
This discussion has been closed.