right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

Schools that rejected your DS or DD who is a NMF

usma87usma87 607 replies4 threads Member
I thought this might be an interesting thread. The intent is not to bash any specific school. It may serve as a highlight that NMF is no guarantee of admission.

My DS2 (he's a twin) was rejected by UCLA for CS major. I suspect it is a combination of no hook and its an impacted major. Still, surprised that a student with his stats was denied.
182 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Schools that rejected your DS or DD who is a NMF

• usma87usma87 607 replies4 threads Member
    @RoonilWazlib99 -my son has some acceptances too. He is waiting on USC, Northwestern, Harvard and Brown. I'm not optimistic. But, as you say, the "highly selectives" seem to be random. My actual hope with this thread is to encourage parents of future NMFs to keep in mind the selective schools aren't swayed by NMF. Its kind of expected if you have no hook.
    · Reply · Share
  • TTdd16TTdd16 279 replies8 threads Junior Member
    edited March 2018
    Waitlisted at UCLA (in-state--accepted at UCSD, UCD and SLO) and deferred from UVA.
    GPA 4.75 (don't know UC GPA) and SAT 1580.
    @suzuki, agreed.
    edited March 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • BooajoBooajo 1157 replies14 threads Senior Member
    Bunch of acceptances thank goodness , but S rejected by Stanford and WashU. Waiting for a few more and not holding our breath.
    · Reply · Share
    @jackbelchos - My sons have friends in the same boat. We are in-state. All "main" UCs seemed very picky. On eof their friends was rejected by Davis in Bio, but accepted at UCLA! Go figure.
    · Reply · Share
    @chitowner Agreed. My son will be glad with any of the schools he is accepted to. We intentionally asked them to keep the list to schools that they wanted to attend. I think I lulled myself into a false sense of "he'll get accepted to UCLA". The rejection was a surprise. In hindsight, I should have expected it.
    · Reply · Share
    @suzuki7 - I'm with you. With your DD stats, I would have also expected a few more wins. What major?
    · Reply · Share
  • LvMyKids2LvMyKids2 595 replies26 threads Member
    @jackbelchos what major? that makes a huge difference. And what other things besides high GPA and perfect test score?
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 85057 replies758 threads Senior Member
    Regarding the UCs, they tend to weight GPA* more heavily than test scores that NM is mostly based on. Also, the computer science major has grown rapidly in popularity in the last decade, so that it is much more selective than the overall campus for many UCs.

*As recalculated by the UC method. Remember that weighted GPAs given by the high school are useless outside of the high school, since different high schools have different weighting methods. A 4.7 weighted GPA may be based on an unweighted GPA as low as 2.7 at a high school with a very exaggerated weighting method.
    · Reply · Share
    @jackbelchos trust me i know. I had a child go through it last year, but having said that she did have high gpa and perfect ACT, but exceled in many of her ECs and did so with a pure passion. Did nothing "just for college" I think one has to have excellence in all areas - grades, test scores, essays, ECs and recs. And then, it is a crapshoot. Many get rejected because there are just so many more kids applying to schools now (from all over the world) and only so many spots. What was your child's major? And did he/she pursue jobs or anything to do with that major/interest? Thank you
    · Reply · Share
    @ucbalumnus weighted GPAs are definitely useless. That is why major colleges ask for a school profile to understand how a particular HS GPA is calculated. From all of the school tours I have gone on (and I have gone on over 35) most say that they look at the transcript for rigor (taking the most challenging courses available to you) and then of course, want to see As (or mostly As with a few Bs)
    · Reply · Share
    To all so far - our GC also said there is a baby bulge this year. I have held the theory that the increase in applications is two-fold. First, these kids were all born around the millennium, '99 or '00. In our town, enrollment for this group has been high throughout school. Second, the emphasis on applying to a larger number of schools. This has caused a number of side-effects including "yield protection". We are all seeing it this year. The great CV that gets denied from the school that should have been automatic. For future years, I hope this trend begins to soften.
    · Reply · Share
    edited March 2018
    what is CV? Class Valedictorian? @usma87 Yes more and more kids are applying to more and more schools - either out of fear, or bc using the Common App makes it easier to apply to so many schools. If CV refers to Valedictorian - no such thing as automatic to any school. Some high schools have only 1 VAL and others have as many as hit a certain GPA - at one school I saw 40. Unfortunately I have seen too many Vals get rejected over and over again.
    edited March 2018
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity