Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Class of 2019 NMSF Qualifying Scores

Replies to: Class of 2019 NMSF Qualifying Scores

• mountainmomof3mountainmomof3 Registered User Posts: 331 Member
    @Reebtoor thank you for getting us organized with this thread and keeping up with all of the changes as they came in! Also, @JBStillFlying, I really appreciate the wealth of information you provided to all of us! All of these students, whether they made NMSF or not, are amazing kids!
  • lovofulovofu Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Happy DD in Iowa! 224 would have gotten her on the list in all 50 states, DC and Overseas!
  • seemaspseemasp Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Here is the Summary of movement from last year:
    -2 : 1
    -1 : 7
    0 : 23
    +1: 15
    +2: 4
    +3: 1
  • kimclan1kimclan1 Registered User Posts: 624 Member
    @seemasp it's actually:
    -2 : 2
    -1 : 8
    0: 20
    1 : 16
    2 : 3
    3 : 0
    4 : 1
  • somanyquestions9somanyquestions9 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    So are we completely sure these are cutoffs are accurate that Art has posted. I hate to celebrate without seeing a letter. I am sure my daughter's school isn't saying a thing until the 12th. Just worried they could be off.
  • potatoepotatoepotatoepotatoe Registered User Posts: 163 Junior Member
    Congrats to all who made it (and even the ones that didn't- you are all amazing)! And a big thank you to everyone who has been commenting and updating this forum. It is very much appreciated :)
  • tpike12tpike12 Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    @somanyquestions9 - I’m pretty confident the numbers are accurate, but I’m still waiting for my D to get notified by normal channels. I think my D enjoys telling us when she gets good news from school.
  • somanyquestions9somanyquestions9 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Same here. I am not telling her a thing but can't wait for her to get the news.
  • moscottmoscott Registered User Posts: 962 Member
    Just for reference the National average works out to be 218.82 for qualifying scores for the 50 states.
  • gigem87gigem87 Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    This is the one time of year people wish that they lived in WV, WY or and of the other low cutoff states. Still in shock that CA joined the high cutoff states.
  • BertieMomBertieMom Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    edited August 31
    @moscott is this giving each state equal weight? I wonder what it would be if it was the top 16000 in the country. My D really wanted a score that that would have made it anywhere So no one would say she just got it because she lives in KS. She missed that by 2 with a 221. But I think if there where a national qualifying score it would probably be 220-221.
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 5,088 Senior Member
    @BertieMom - about 1.7 mil.(?) took NMSQT. Top 1% would be over 16,000 testers but they always seem to cut off at over that number anyway (by a few hundred) so top 1% might work. Based on their percentiles that's around a 1450 - 1480 composite. Hard to translate into an SI but my kid got a 220 with a 1470 total score two years ago. So I can see where a 220-221 seems about right for a top 1% cut off at the present time - at least based on the past 2 years of data! The very first PSAT "understanding scores" report actually included an NMSQT percentile table; however, it was wildly off base. Didn't show up in the report the following year. They should have enough data by now to generate an appropriate percentile table but I haven't seen one (haven't looked either).
  • tpike12tpike12 Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    If your S or D is a NMSF, is there any reason to pay to send your SAT score? I'm thinking we'll just send the ACT and the SAT Subject Test scores if required. I guess in the Awards Section you could put NMSF with your qualifying SAT scores.
  • suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 5,409 Senior Member
    @tpike12, both of my Ds had an ACT score that was a bit higher than the SAT score, so they did just that: sent ACT score and subject test scores, and then listed NMSF as an honor/award. They didn't include SAT score but I suppose you could.