right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

National Merit Commended - when/how are students notified?

hatchettehatchette 16 replies3 threads Junior Member
My daughter is in the Class of 2020. She took the PSAT/NMSQT in October 2018 and scored a Selection Index of 214. I have read that the Commended cutoff is 212, but she has not received any notification either through the school or at home (mail or email). Does anyone know what the process is and timing for Commended notification? Thanks.
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: National Merit Commended - when/how are students notified?

• carmartwinmomcarmartwinmom 27 replies1 threads Junior Member
    You should check with the high school. If that doesn’t work you can call National Merit directly to inquire. They are very nice and helpful.
    · Reply · Share
  • Darcy123Darcy123 442 replies7 threads Member
    My daughter received a certificate from her high school.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 2402 replies14 threads Senior Member
    She should have been notified in late September, according to NMSC.
    · Reply · Share
  • margo143margo143 9 replies0 threads New Member
    hatchette wrote: »
    My daughter is in the Class of 2020. She took the PSAT/NMSQT in October 2018 and scored a Selection Index of 214. I have read that the Commended cutoff is 212, but she has not received any notification either through the school or at home (mail or email). Does anyone know what the process is and timing for Commended notification? Thanks.

Hi @hatchette, did your daughter finally receive the letter of commendation? What did you have to do? I just realized now that my son should have gotten one (class of 2020) as he met the minimum Selection Index of 212, but he didn’t get a notification from school or at home. Hope it’s not too late to get one. But bummer that he didn’t get to put that in his college apps. Thanks for your help.
    · Reply · Share